whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I agree. But the bar has been set. The thread is 277 pages. There is some objective idea of what is and what is not liked. And yet many continue to make the same mistakes.

That said, SF is one of the few places I've seen "taste" be defined so narrowly. Not to say I disagree, but it furthers the idea of what is expected here.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

2. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

It isn't objectively quantifiable, of course. You're missing the point: Manton started this thread precisely because he presumably has a very good idea as to what "good taste" means. Frankly, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion in this thread, aside from Manton's. That's not to say that I don't appreciate your opinions in WAYWRN (I occasionally do); just that I come here for Manton's.

3. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

+1

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I understand - I'm certainly not trying to claim I have a monopoly or anything on good taste. And I agree that a huge amount of the value added in this thread comes from Manton. Basically you're saying "good taste" is what Manton likes - which is totally fine. And I think Manton has tried to give some guidance and some rules for what he finds to be in good taste, and has commented extensively. So pretty much all of his comments in this thread and probably in many others too go towards his defining of what is "good taste". I think it's too much to expect him to write it in one post in 5 bullet points or something.

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I have posted a few fits here that I think qualify and a few that I think may work but am looking for feedback on from the people that know what they are doing and post in this thread. If the outfits werent within spitting distance of what is considered "good taste" in this thread, I wouldnt post them.

It shouldnt be that hard to figure out after so many pages. That said, besides a few posters in this thread like GDL, CEP and about 50% of unbel, it is all train wrecks.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i hear that. and noted. i still like it, but i do understand what you mean.

some of this might be going a bit far, like the getting idea about what a person is, but outside of that, that was very well said.

i think you may be overstating things. there have been train-wrecks, but there have also been a lot of very nice fits here, from more than just a few people, imo.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

To clarify, there definitely were a lot of good fits in this thread back when certain people that had "good taste" were commenting (Manton, Whnay, Foo etc). Now that this has fallen away, there arent many good ones left. A shame because for a while this thread was amongst the best.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Penile tie projections out of the bottom of waistcoats are never in good taste.

9. in stitches

im not going to say that the thread was not far better in its inception, and for a while thereafter, and certainly the posters you mentioned have excellent taste. but there are still plenty of people who post here that i think put up consistently solid fits, that are in very good taste.

10. in stitches

i think they can be great. here is another example from NYI in waywrn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Lol... missed that bit.

12. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Put on my 1000 mile boots and shit kicked my way across LA.
    [​IMG]

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Don't get me wrong, the whole premise of this thread is ridiculous, condescending and comically juvenile, for it is one man's totally subjective opinion of what is, and what is not "good taste." Were it more honest it would approach GDL's thread - superior in most every way, with better fits, less noise, and a charmingly arrogant premise. Manton's thread is driven by the same hubris, yet masquerades as something exceedingly more objective.

That said, I remain earnest with my photos.

14. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Is someone in charge of the thread? If "they" don't think someone has posted something in good taste either say it or delete it. That way
    everyone is not wondering who has pissed you off.:)

Sheep you did a better job.^ I was late to the game and you beat me to it. RATS

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

This is in no way great.