• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is in no way great.

well, put the pants aside, i think the camel SC with the navy tie and blue shirt is quite nice. whats not to like? maybe the buttons? easily replaced. i just think its a good example of a camel SB SC that looks nice.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That NYR fit is just awful - my eyes bleed. I think he often knocks it out of the park but also often likes to push the envelope, and that doesn't always work.

The Ethan outfit is beautiful, with the exception of that tie length which - particularly given the frame of the photo - looks really odd.

I like Fred's look today a lot. It would have been better with a more "rustic" sport coat, I think.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That NYR fit is just awful - my eyes bleed. I think he often knocks it out of the park but also often likes to push the envelope, and that doesn't always work.
The Ethan outfit is beautiful, with the exception of that tie length which - particularly given the frame of the photo - looks really odd.

Hey G

Re: Ethan's ensemble

My sharkskin navy suit is almost the same shade of blue as his tonik, which is what finally spurred me to buy that striped reppe tie (that and its versatility with every suit in my wardrobe).

What kind of square would you wear with it however?

I have some ideas, but given that my dress philosophies are quite similar to yours, I was wondering what you'd do.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Frankly, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion in this thread, aside from Manton's.

I remain earnest with my photos.

In my opinion, what you said above is the crux of the problem. I sincerely believe that you are earnest. Manton does not. He thinks you and others are doing something deliberate to **** with him or the thread.

I think both of you guys are to fault. Manton's prone to these overreactions where he thinks people are out to get him. He's exceedingly helpful, just not when he goes into that persecution mode and retreats from these threads. On the other hand, if you actually have paid attention to and learned anything about Manton's taste, you should know that your camel hair outfit was not in good taste. There's just a disconnect.

And I don't mean to pick on you. You happened to post your opinion, and I responded. I respect your straightforwardness and honesty about your intentions and your interest and willingness to be involved in this thread.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey G
Re: Ethan's ensemble
My sharkskin navy suit is almost the same shade of blue as his tonik, which is what finally spurred me to buy that striped reppe tie (that and its versatility with every suit in my wardrobe).
What kind of square would you wear with it however?
I have some ideas, but given that my dress philosophies are quite similar to yours, I was wondering what you'd do.

I would wear a square with some small geometric pattern (like a simple check, gingham or PoW) in a cool color palette, but most like grey *. I wouldn't want to dandify this great polished conservative look with something fancy or tapestry-esque.

White would also work but it isn't much fun, is it?

acrid - I think you posted an outfit that was pretty nice a week ago with an orange tie? Wonder why you didn't post it here too ?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

well, clearly i am missing something. i thought sheeps camel SC was ok, and i think NYIs top half, maybe minus the square was also nice. please explain to me the issues. while you are at it, what would you say about the combo i posted.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would wear a square with some small geometric pattern (like a simple check, gingham or PoW) in a cool color palette, but most like grey. I wouldn't want to dandify this great polished conservative look with something fancy or tapestry-esque.
White would also work but it isn't much much, is it?
acrid - I think you posted an outfit that was pretty nice a week ago with an orange tie? Wonder why you didn't post it here too ?

Conservative is what I'm leaning towards as well.

Now that I think of it, I have a light-brown-on-beige PoW check square, which might just be sufficiently subdued.

And as you say, white linen is a safe choice...

Last edited:

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion, what you said above is the crux of the problem. I sincerely believe that you are earnest. Manton does not. He thinks you and others are doing something deliberate to **** with him or the thread.
I think both of you guys are to fault. Manton's prone to these overreactions where he thinks people are out to get him. He's exceedingly helpful, just not when he goes into that persecution mode and retreats from these threads. On the other hand, if you actually have paid attention to and learned anything about Manton's taste, you should know that your camel hair outfit was not in good taste. There's just a disconnect.
And I don't mean to pick on you. You happened to post your opinion, and I responded. I respect your straightforwardness and honesty about your intentions and your interest and willingness to be involved in this thread.

No foul at all, thank you. For the record, I saw no mention of camel hair; perhaps I missed it. If you feel worthy of speaking on behalf of the elusive Manton, please do so.

P.S. If you know anything about me, you'd know I am doing something deliberate to **** with this entire forum, not just Manton.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
look, bromer, when someone posts and says "haters **** off" or the equivalent, he has given the game away. the post is not serious, it's graffiti, urination against the wall. "sticking it to the man." civil disobedience. "dissent is the highest form of patriotism." And all the rest of that non-conformist conformism bullshit.

You can call that my "paranoia" but that just makes you obtuse.

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

look, bromer, when someone posts and says "haters **** off" or the equivalent, he has given the game away. the post is not serious, it's graffiti, urination against the wall. "sticking it to the man." civil disobedience. "dissent is the highest form of patriotism." And all the rest of that non-conformist conformism bullshit.
You can call that my "paranoia" but that just makes you obtuse.

I believe that there are people here who deliberately do things to agitate you. There are a few very obvious ones. However, I don't think it's as prevalent as you think.

For example, tactical1 recently wrote, "Red tie haters, begone." I do think he was referencing your expressed distaste for most red ties, but I don't think he was deliberately ******* with you. I think he actually believed his red tie was in good taste. That tie was not in good taste, and he should know that, if he had actually paid attention to what you've discussed in the past. I just don't think he posted it with the deliberate intent to piss you off. I honestly think he posted it, because he simply doesn't know it's not in good taste.

ctp120

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've checked in over here. Feels eerily the same. Deja vu-like, even.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a reason I dont post pics of my outfits in this thread. Many of my outfits are not in good taste. It has taken me months of creeping this thread to begin to understand the consistent patterns of good taste. I realized very quickly this is not a WAYWT style thread. It is not a catch all. This thread has a point. Good taste, when done properly, goes beyond boring and becomes transcendent. It is not a task easily accomplished. I look forward to growing my wardrobe in this direction. Perhaps, soon, I will submit a picture.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For the record, I saw no mention of camel hair; perhaps I missed it. If you feel worthy of speaking on behalf of the elusive Manton, please do so.

I don't want to speak for Manton, but I didn't mean as much the camel hair coat, as the outfit in general. The outfit is not offensive. It's just bland. I'm guessing Manton is probably not a fan of camel hair sport coats, particularly in that configuration, but I don't want to speak for him. Add patch pockets and swelled edges, and it becomes more interesting. Otherwise, it's just the other sport coat the average guy has in their closet after the blazer.

The color combination is just too easy. The textural play among the components is not compelling. With the solid coat fabric, the tie or shirt could use some color, pattern, or texture. The pocket square feels a bit discordant and would seem more at home with a suit. Simple and basic, which is what that outfit is, can work. It just needs to be perfect in terms of colors, tones, textures, etc. Again, not offensive, just not in good taste.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a reason I dont post pics of my outfits in this thread. Many of my outfits are not in good taste. It has taken me months of creeping this thread to begin to understand the consistent patterns of good taste. I realized very quickly this is not a WAYWT style thread. It is not a catch all. This thread has a point. Good taste, when done properly, goes beyond boring and becomes transcendent. It is not a task easily accomplished. I look forward to growing my wardrobe in this direction. Perhaps, soon, I will submit a picture.

I don't want to speak for Manton, but I didn't mean as much the camel hair coat, as the outfit in general. The outfit is not offensive. It's just bland. I'm guessing Manton is probably not a fan of camel hair sport coats, particularly in that configuration, but I don't want to speak for him. Add patch pockets and swelled edges, and it becomes more interesting. Otherwise, it's just the other sport coat the average guy has in their closet after the blazer.
The color combination is just too easy. The textural play among the components is not compelling. With the solid coat fabric, the tie or shirt could use some color, pattern, or texture. The pocket square feels a bit discordant and would seem more at home with a suit. Simple and basic, which is what that outfit is, can work. It just needs to be perfect in terms of colors, tones, textures, etc. Again, not offensive, just not in good taste.

Am I to assume that this - the first pic in this thread, and presumably a guiding example and benchmark of good taste - is both "transcendent" and "not boring?"

Don't get me wrong, I like the fit just fine. But you guys are off your rockers. Every day there are fits in WAYWRN that surpass this in almost every way.

I remain earnest.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics