1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

well, clearly i am missing something. i thought sheeps camel SC was ok, and i think NYIs top half, maybe minus the square was also nice. please explain to me the issues. while you are at it, what would you say about the combo i posted.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Conservative is what I'm leaning towards as well.

Now that I think of it, I have a light-brown-on-beige PoW check square, which might just be sufficiently subdued.

And as you say, white linen is a safe choice...

3. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

No foul at all, thank you. For the record, I saw no mention of camel hair; perhaps I missed it. If you feel worthy of speaking on behalf of the elusive Manton, please do so.

P.S. If you know anything about me, you'd know I am doing something deliberate to fuck with this entire forum, not just Manton.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

look, bromer, when someone posts and says "haters fuck off" or the equivalent, he has given the game away. the post is not serious, it's graffiti, urination against the wall. "sticking it to the man." civil disobedience. "dissent is the highest form of patriotism." And all the rest of that non-conformist conformism bullshit.

You can call that my "paranoia" but that just makes you obtuse.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

stitch... I think the combination falls flat. Either the jacket needs to be worsted, or the shirt and tie need to be more rustic. Something is also off with the combination of the shirt and tie themselves... maybe I also just don't like silver-y ties.

6. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I believe that there are people here who deliberately do things to agitate you. There are a few very obvious ones. However, I don't think it's as prevalent as you think.

For example, tactical1 recently wrote, "Red tie haters, begone." I do think he was referencing your expressed distaste for most red ties, but I don't think he was deliberately fucking with you. I think he actually believed his red tie was in good taste. That tie was not in good taste, and he should know that, if he had actually paid attention to what you've discussed in the past. I just don't think he posted it with the deliberate intent to piss you off. I honestly think he posted it, because he simply doesn't know it's not in good taste.

7. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Been awhile since I've checked in over here. Feels eerily the same. Deja vu-like, even.

8. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

There is a reason I dont post pics of my outfits in this thread. Many of my outfits are not in good taste. It has taken me months of creeping this thread to begin to understand the consistent patterns of good taste. I realized very quickly this is not a WAYWT style thread. It is not a catch all. This thread has a point. Good taste, when done properly, goes beyond boring and becomes transcendent. It is not a task easily accomplished. I look forward to growing my wardrobe in this direction. Perhaps, soon, I will submit a picture.

1 person likes this.
  9. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I don't want to speak for Manton, but I didn't mean as much the camel hair coat, as the outfit in general. The outfit is not offensive. It's just bland. I'm guessing Manton is probably not a fan of camel hair sport coats, particularly in that configuration, but I don't want to speak for him. Add patch pockets and swelled edges, and it becomes more interesting. Otherwise, it's just the other sport coat the average guy has in their closet after the blazer.

The color combination is just too easy. The textural play among the components is not compelling. With the solid coat fabric, the tie or shirt could use some color, pattern, or texture. The pocket square feels a bit discordant and would seem more at home with a suit. Simple and basic, which is what that outfit is, can work. It just needs to be perfect in terms of colors, tones, textures, etc. Again, not offensive, just not in good taste.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Am I to assume that this - the first pic in this thread, and presumably a guiding example and benchmark of good taste - is both "transcendent" and "not boring?"

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I like the fit just fine. But you guys are off your rockers. Every day there are fits in WAYWRN that surpass this in almost every way.

I remain earnest.

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

interesting. i thought the tie was quite rustic, very inline with the SC actually. its a wool/silk blend, and quite textured and with those "fatter" almost linen looking lines. also, the tie is really more gray than silver. the shirt maybe is a bit flat for the look, i thought it still jived. but im clearly the only one who thought it was in good taste. oh well. live and learn.

well said. i look forward to your posts and what you come up with.

12. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Using some of the critiques I had of your outfit, I'll address them for Manton's. He adds color with his shirt and tie. He adds a pattern with his shirt, and it works well with the solid tie, which adds some interesting texture. The pocket square is simple, but it works by pulling together the outfit. If he had gone with a square in a completely different color, it would be competing too much with the shirt and tie. There's also just some of the little details, like having a collar with life to it.

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

I just went back and looked at page 14. What an amazing page. This thread was really an amazing thread at one point. Page 14 is so good it is depressing. lol.

18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

That tie is pretty darn close to a concept I had in my head that I have been looking for. Maker?

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.