• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks.

what shade would you recommend? anyone else wanna chime in?SB? Slewfoot? GDL? Bueller? ANYONE?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with it, Stitchy.

awesome! thanks, buddy.

its really interesting you know. these 2, black and white, but seemingly gray, SCs that i have, i NEVER would have thought to pair with blue, but now that i have, i really like it.

thanks to all those wo kept pushing me to try it out.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shade of blue is a touch darker than I wear and I do think a bit lighter blue would blend in nicer with the sportcoat. As is, the blue and the purple seem to be working against each other a bit...on another not I would probably have the sportcoat taken in from top to bottom based on that photo. Seems somewhat bulky. At least nip the waist a bit more to add some shape.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of your finest entries and a truly compelling case being made for white socks.
I think this entry demonstrates that when, as you did, you do as Coco Chanel advised and drop a few elements out of your usually busy ensemble, you compromise nothing and still stay true to your unique spice. A bit of austerity (sans boutonniere) suits you...

I can't allow this to go uncommented.

OD / OT's latest effort is the non-exception that helps prove the rule about white socks. Sockless would have been better than that. By a wide margin.

But I agree - lack of boutonniere suits everyone (not in a wedding party or at a prom) since the end of WWII.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitches, a white shirt is a very bad choice for that SC IMO - it's a glen check, has patch pockets and a fuzzy texture. Quite rustic indeed. The light blue OCBD works great, you could try pairing it with a challis tie for a nice combo :)

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't allow this to go uncommented.
OD / OT's latest effort is the non-exception that helps prove the rule about white socks. Sockless would have been better than that. By a wide margin.
But I agree - lack of boutonniere suits everyone (not in a wedding party or at a prom) since the end of WWII.
I am trying to parse what you wrote. By non-exception you mean that he does it frequently. Fair enough, this is true. In general there is a lot of busy-ness up above which makes the white sock more of a nail in the coffin for advocates of the staid style, but in this case the lack of those elements made the white sock seem suddenly not so egregious.

Anyway, frequent occurence or not, I am having trouble understanding what you mean when you say that it helps prove the rule. You seem to be saying "Because white socks work for him, but he is a margin case, this proves that white socks do not work for the mainstream." But then you said you didn't like white socks on him, either. So I am confused. See Fowler's for notes on proving the rule.

It's important to see things as they are, not as we want them to be. I, too, have a visceral reaction to a white sock and would not wear it myself. You and I dress the same, by the way. But in the image in question, there was a sudden parting of the clouds and I felt I could grok his style -- better yet, I liked its insouciance. With the suede loafers, it looks cozy and cool. Since he is playing on the margins of the normative style zeitgeist, there is huge potential for error. On the other hand, the rewards are so much bigger.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I was saying that white socks with a non-sport outfit always looks bad. And this is no exception.

(There's probably an exception for white linen and maybe seersucker - a Southerner would have to rule on that.)

I agree with what you're saying about busy-ness but I didn't look at that photo and thing 'no ghastly pattern clashing or technicolor' I thought 'why is he wearing white socks.'

I imagine that OD OT cares exactly zero about what forumers think and that insouciance, as you implied is much cooler than clothes alone can be.

But I still hate the white socks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The shade of blue is a touch darker than I wear and I do think a bit lighter blue would blend in nicer with the sportcoat. As is, the blue and the purple seem to be working against each other a bit...on another not I would probably have the sportcoat taken in from top to bottom based on that photo. Seems somewhat bulky. At least nip the waist a bit more to add some shape.

thanks for replying, slewfoot.

yeah, i thought that. i had a lighter one i wanted to wear, but its in the laundry, and i think this wasnt horrible. do you mean this blue and purple are competing, or in general they compete? because i think blue and purple look nice together.

regarding fit, here is a full pic. i think it fits quite well. any tighter in the waist and i wont be able to button it.

Untitled-34.jpg

Stitches, a white shirt is a very bad choice for that SC IMO - it's a glen check, has patch pockets and a fuzzy texture. Quite rustic indeed. The light blue OCBD works great, you could try pairing it with a challis tie for a nice combo :)

thanks for your reply as well, R. i hear that technically, but i have worn it with white before, and i think it does look fine, even though gdl will argue against that. :)

good idea on the challis. i actually just got a wool tie that might be just right for the job. stay tuned!

Last edited:

Jhors2

Reaction score
thanks for replying, slewfoot.
yeah, i thought that. i had a lighter one i wanted to wear, but its in the laundry, and i think this wasnt horrible. do you mean this blue and purple are competing, or in general they compete? because i think blue and purple look nice together.
regarding fit, here is a full pic. i think it fits quite well. any tighter in the waist and i wont be able to button it.
Untitled-34.jpg

thanks for your reply as well, R. i hear that technically, but i have worn it with white before, and i think it does look fine, even though gdl will argue against that.
smile.gif

good idea on the challis. i actually just got a wool tie that might be just right for the job. stay tuned!
Lighter Blue, yes, this. I am thinking a lighter sky blue would work very well. Maybe a yellow tie or PS? If you are feeling flashy.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lighter Blue, yes, this.  I am thinking a lighter sky blue would work very well.  Maybe a yellow tie or PS?  If you are feeling flashy.

i will wear the lighter blue next time i wear this SC. you are the 3rd person to make that comment, so ill give it a try.

no dice on the yellow tie. sorry.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is this aight?

sorry about the lint. :(

69E361AC-AF31-4B99-BE76-ABBDBEF3F946-2166-000001954B9BA828.jpg

BDEB30BA-4A1E-4110-86AD-B2D92C26D3E4-2166-0000019543BCA26B.jpg

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt doesn't go.

A lighter blue without stripes would've been best.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was my fear. i really need another solid, lighter blue shirt. right now i only have one, as the other solid blue is a much deeper blue.

thanks, TRINI. anyone else have an opinion?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads