whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

^^^Completely agree that the shirt does not match up well at all.
    But the tie is still sweet.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:(

:)

3. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

+1

Just to put things into perspective, I probably have close to 10 light blue shirts - mostly all Chambray and Linen. Not that you need to go crazy like that or anything. A person can get by with one or two white shirts, but light blue shirts is more of a necessity.

4. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

You may have said in the past that you don't wear them, but I think a light pink shirt would work really well here.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. in stitches

noted. i will hit the shopping tonight, for another light blue. :) i have about 9 blue shirts that i wear at the moment, but only 2 are solid, non OCBD, and 1 is more a deep blue than a light. yesiree its time to do some shopping. thanks, guys.
    you are correct. i will not be wearing a pink shirt. --- would a solid white have worked better?

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Wow, I stop checking the thread and in the past week Stitch ups his game significantly - as does O/O.

7. in stitches

thanks, t-bird. :blush:

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Cool. I'd focus on oxford cotton and chambray. And as light blue as possible.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

There was a time when I wouldn't agree with the bolded, but I have this one shirt that is very pale, and I reach for it quite frequently.

10. in stitches

thanks for the help, slew.

expect a PM later. you have been enlisted to the help stitch squad. quite an impressive team if i may say so myself.

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

+1. I have I think 7 or 8, and I have fabric for 3 more that will be made up soon. Different shades and textures are really useful. Then you'll want some with BD collars, some not, etc.

12. unbelragazzo

I wouldn't always go as light a blue as possible (maybe with this jacket/tie, I haven't really thought about it, I'm speaking generally). I think it's useful to think about the warm/cool divide as well as the dark/light divide. Deeper, more purple shades, I think of as "cooler" whereas more of a sky/baby blue I think of as "warmer". I generally prefer the former, although they both have their place.

13. unbelragazzo

Also, general shirting advice (which I definitely could have used early in my shirt-buying career): If you're wearing shirts mostly with jackets and especially jacket and tie (i.e., not just by themselves), then you'll want to have at least 8 different solid shirts before you think about any patterns. Then you want pencil stripes and checks on white grounds before you consider anything on a non-white ground.

14. in stitches

thanks, unbel, good points. i have already a bunch of solids, not 7 or 8, more like 4 or 5. but maybe 1 of those would classify as light blue, and it is more leaning towards purple. the others are darker, deeper, blues.

i have a few checks on white, and 3 striped. i need to up the game in the solid, light/sky blue department. at least 1 for the time being.

i dont think i really have a need for 20 shirts. i mean, its really only 5 times a week ill wear these shirts, assuming i go dressy, not casual, all week. if i have 12 shirts total, that means i have enough shirts, just in the blue range, to cover me into week 3. that is more than sufficient for me. id like more, but its hard to argue i need it.

then again, its hard to argue i need most of what i have. i mean even within the confines of what here we may classify as need, i think 12 or so total, in the blue genre, is more than plenty.

15. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do not support this advice, especially the metrics behind it which I think are kind of silly.

You'll want to have a healthy amount of blue and white solids - healthy depends on your lifestyle, what you do for a living, etc. I generally stay away from shirts that have more than three colors including white and blue unless your preference is for solid colored ties.