• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which clothing brand impresses the ladies the most?

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is a valid point when the are actively looking and asking for the brand of your clothing. You must not have dealt with high class Chinese in China before, where wearing impressive brands makes the difference of the woman's attitude towards you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you do decide to go down that road ('Oh, that's a bad road, Ted...'), talk to Warrior.  Those pads were made by Pete Smith before he signed on with them, and though he is strictly in goal, he might have a little or be able to source more of that fabric.  A pair of Franchises in that with sport-gold trim would look pretty funny.

I figured if anyone could do it, it would be Warrior, but I really doubt that I can justify the expense to myself. I'd have to spend $250 on gloves for some mild amusement, and there are plenty of other things I'd rather spend that money on. And I'm quite happy with my old pair of Missions right now.

hurleyburley

Reaction score
brand whoring happens everywhere in the world. Social mobility is more ingrained in asian culture vs a newer country like the USA so status is pretty important there. The field is a little more open in North America so it doesn't pay long term to look down on anyone.

blackadder

Reaction score
In my experience Chinese culture identifies class directly with money to an even greater extent than US culture, which in turn does so much more than British culture. This has also been my experience with 1st generation Western-born Chinese. After that it probably fades out, but I haven't known enough people in that group to say for sure.

One reason for this might be the Chinese imperial exam system. Aristocratic status depended on passing the exam, so while in practice it tended to run in families, it wasn't automatic: you needed enough money to pay for your childrens' tuition. Marrying someone with good manners and contacts but no money was a ticket to falling out of the elite entirely. In the US, far less money is needed to pass on status if you have the right knowledge and contacts, while historically in Britain even a totally bust aristocratic family with no political power could buy its way back in by intermarrying with a rich or connected, but low status family. The pedigree carried substantial market value on its own.

Last edited:

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
In my experience, the brand that will attract the ladies is anything by Self Confidence. It can be from either their bold or subdued lines......

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Misogyny, racism, stupidity, it's all here in full display. If this is how you attract women, you're inevitably going to be disappointed (as will she).

MisterFu

Reaction score
In my experience Chinese culture identifies class directly with money to an even greater extent than US culture, which in turn does so much more than British culture. This has also been my experience with 1st generation Western-born Chinese. After that it probably fades out, but I haven't known enough people in that group to say for sure.

One reason for this might be the Chinese imperial exam system. Aristocratic status depended on passing the exam, so while in practice it tended to run in families, it wasn't automatic: you needed enough money to pay for your childrens' tuition. Marrying someone with good manners and contacts but no money was a ticket to falling out of the elite entirely. In the US, far less money is needed to pass on status if you have the right knowledge and contacts, while historically in Britain even a totally bust aristocratic family with no political power could buy its way back in by intermarrying with a rich or connected, but low status family. The pedigree carried substantial market value on its own.
An interesting and insightful post in an otherwise ridiculous thread.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come this is not in DT yet?

You do know that the Chinese are the number one consumer of luxury goods. Over there, it's what's on the outside that matters, not what's on the inside. From experience, many Chinese upper class women will ignore you if you are not wearing brands they recognize, they are obsessed with brands. Since I am going to go work over there, I am going to adapt to this pretentiousness. :dozingoff:  

Here is a family saying in China: "I would rather cry in the back of a BMW than laugh in the back of a moped"

On a related note, does Lanvin gets it wet?

To quote something that was posted earlier.... "tacky, classless and vapid." ...I know all about China, I live here. :slayer:

Yeh Lanvin is where it's at as well, also Bulgari and Ferragamo, and your cellphone must be a Goldvish or Vertu, that tells the bitches you're a baller and you're really it.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any woman who is impressed by the branding of your clothes is the wrong kind of woman.

But if classless, tacky and vapid is what you're aiming for, be sure to leave all the Burberry, LV, Todd's and DG tags on your outfit. Maybe staple a few fake ones on while you're at it.

Funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. I showed my GF and we both LOL.. Well done sir

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lol, Versaoe Humen Collition.

For those of you who ridicule this post, you don't seem too culturally sensitive. Must be nice living in your western bubble your entire life. There are women there who's favorite and only hobby is getting luxury goods, and now I have to face them.

The reason why I asked about Lanvin is because it is not very well known in the US. Is it more well known internationally?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeh, Lanvin are quite well known here. As for actual brands to impress the bitches, it's very much any brand you might see in an upscale Beijing or Shanghai shopping mall, or fakes in a night market. Many PPR and LVMH brands are famous here and recognisable as being baller, lux and expensive, e.g. Louis Vuitton. :bigstar:

BTW if you're a westerner coming to live and work in China as an expat, and not recognisably Chinese, a laowei, don't bother with any of this new money brand whore ****, it won't help you. I don't bother with it. Being able to conduct yourself well and being semi-fluent in Mandarin, will be far more useful to you than any tags you might be showing.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

...There are women there who's favorite and only hobby is getting luxury goods, and now I have to face them...

Why? Just stay away from them & you'll probably be happier in the long run. If they value you by the brands you wear or the car you drive, they'll probably leave you as soon as a bigger baller comes along. I'm pretty sure there are a whole lot of women who actually have taste and class in China.

In what kind of setting would a man be wearing clothes with visible logos anyway? Not a business or even casual business setting anyway?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why? Just stay away from them & you'll probably be happier in the long run. If they value you by the brands you wear or the car you drive, they'll probably leave you as soon as a bigger baller comes along. I'm pretty sure there are a whole lot of women who actually have taste and class in China.

In what kind of setting would a man be wearing clothes with visible logos anyway? Not a business or even casual business setting anyway?

The man with the Armani tag still on his suit sleeve, wearing a Hermes "H" belt and Gucci horse-bit loafers, donning a gold and diamond Rolex Datejust and a Dunhill man-bag. smoking Chung Hwa or State Express 555 cigarettes.

BTW where's this guy these days?
http://www.styleforum.net/u/81285/hermes-man

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads