Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Which clothing brand impresses the ladies the most?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Erichmax, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

I hear that -- both on the unwarranted and entirely frivolous expense, and on Mission in particular.: loved their gear, especially the three-finger gloves and the Aldila-built shafts.

This has nothing to do with cultural sensitivity. You've made perfectly clear that your intention is to go to Asia and attract women, I quote, "who's [sic] favourite and only hobby is getting luxury goods." We're not deriding those women, who are entitled to do whatever they hell they want with their lives; we're deriding you for asking us how best to glibly exploit their unfortunate credulity.

[​IMG]

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

This thread is :facepalm:. Now we have the OP who is stereotyping entire groups of women accusing everyone else of cultural insensitivity. OP, here's a thought. Actually try talking to the women you are hoping to impress with your future impeccably branded wardrobe. If everyone is truly as obsessed with brands as you claim, you'll get better insight from them than you will get from a group of people who mostly care about being well dressed and who don't do tacky things like name drop brands or keep labels on their sleeves. If they are not, you might actually learn a thing or two about people.

Last edited: May 4, 2014

3. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

OP, let me see if I have this straight:

1. You have stereotyped desirable Chinese women as gold digging brand whores;
    2. Have labeled those of us appalled at both your assertions and desire to take advantage of said woman as "living in a western bubble" (never mind that I have spent considerable time in Asia, that my ex-wife is Asian along with both of my business partners).

You are calling us culturally ignorant and myopic? You, good sir, are wearing your ass as a hat.

4. Suit of Nettles

He could at least post that in WAYWRN.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The outrage in this thread has now become funnier than the OP

Last edited: May 4, 2014

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I can see that. I find it more amusing in a "you can't make this crap up" kind of way, but I am definitely enjoying the trainwreck. Maybe a bit too much.

7. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

I beg to differ, OP is definitely still maxing out the lolwtf meter.

8. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

they aren't mutually exclusive. the brand conscious don't have to be "gold digging brand whores". if you make this association, then you're forced to resolve your cognitive dissonance by believing that Chinese women as a whole definitely are not any more or less brand conscious than anyone else.

but they are. it's only racist if you consider it negatively, and there are valid reasons why you would, but the culture is different so you're really comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited: May 5, 2014

9. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

edit:nvm

10. Erichmax

Erichmax Well-Known Member

Brand whores are probably too harsh of a words, but I can assure you that the average Chinese women are way more luxury brand conscious than the average American women. There is a whole cultural reason for this that stem from the one-child policy (spoiled brats) and the explosion of their spending power, but I won't go into that. I am calling you culturally insensitive for not understanding the cultural history for what makes Chinese the most superficial people in the world today. Yes, I understand that I am generalizing, but the right brand is a much greater status symbol there than it is in the US.

And for the record, I am not a "laowai", so I get judged differently there, so rather than be judged by my skin color, I get judged by the logo on my shirt and the size of my bank account by the girls and by, God-forbids, their parents.

So it would be nice to know which brands have the comparably muted "Ferrari effect" on these women.

11. Suit of Nettles

Do you understand that you're generalising in calling all of SF (with the possible exception of hentaisan) culturally insensitive, in calling the Chinese 'the most superficial people in the world', or both? You have a flair for the morbidly categorical, I'll give you that. Please tell us your other penetrating insights into entire cultures: perhaps something utterly original, like how the French smell of garlic, or how the Irish are drunks? It must be a treat to live in a world where beloved mothers-in-law, generous Scotsmen, and professors with presence of mind are not permitted to exist. I wish you all the best in your search for a romantic partner in a universe of idle caricature.

12. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Youre approaching this the wrong way, the important question is not ''what are the best brands'' but ''how many brands can you pull off in a single outfit''. If I were you I'd go for some stylish things such as the ''triple threat layered polo''. You stack 3 polo shirts that are all top brands like Armani, Gucci and Prada one on top of each other for Maximum Wealth Effecttm The challenge that comes with such a thing is to make sure that everyone that looks at you can know what brand each of your piece is, so pick clothes which display as much branding as possible.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Personally, I like to put multiple branded belt buckles on the same belt strap. Right now I'm wearing Gucci, Hermes and LV buckles all in a row. The Hermes one being in the middle of course

14. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Im happy to hear you put the Hermes in the middle for maximum symmetry. I never thought of doing that but its a good idea to elevate my fits when going to Asia.

15. Suit of Nettles

The above works even better if you glue the logos to a length of electrical cord and tie it around your waist for that ineffable spark of the rakish.