Which clothing brand impresses the ladies the most?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Erichmax, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Erichmax

Erichmax Well-Known Member

Welcome to China, Suit of Nettles, where status trumps everything, including personality. Seriously, in China, I will take having a Ferrari over having the wittiest personality any day. I cannot say that about other parts of the world.

And mmmtttt, as sarcastic as you sound, that will not work because there must be a hierachy in their minds for which one of those is the best. If they think Gucci is head and shoulder above the rest, then there is no reason to wear Armani or Prada. But those two still beat out Brioni.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Erichmax

To stay on topic, how is Dolce & Gabbana as a status symbol compare to the ones mentioned?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I admire your plucky attitude. You still think we can help you... :lurk:

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

5. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I'm ashamed to admit that I really enjoyed the last 10 min reading this thread. I only wish all trolls were so entertaining.

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Surprised homeslice hasn't mentioned a LV monogrammed condom to really impress the ladies. Nothing says baller like "I'm so rich that I blow my load in Louis Vuitton."

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm unclear why judging women for their superficiality is culturally insensitive. It isn't as if they are judging them because they are Chinese women. And the desire for status symbols isn't stemming from anything Chinese so much as it is a reflection of a newly wealthy generation. The US went through the same thing in the 1920's (one of the things Fitzgerald was railing against in The Great Gatsby). It'll die down in a generation or to. It is also a lot less pronounced in Hong Kong (though still more visible there than in other East Asian countries) and Taipei, though my experience in the latter is very limited.

Though yes, wearing brands will probably attract a certain breed of Chinese women, not necessarily gold diggers. However, anyone who suggested that buying into brand culture was necessary for upward mobility knows little to nothing about East Asian organizational psychology.

8. Erichmax

It might not be necessary, but those high end designer brands sure beat Brioni or Kiton when they start asking.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your bosses and coworkers won't ask. And if you do wear obvious brands, there is a solid chance your team lead will ask you to tone it down. Especially if you are a foreigner. South Korea and China have very similar corporate cultures, and I was once told to cease wearing light blue shirts with suits and just wear white as I stood out enough already. I can't imagine what would have happened if I wore Gucci horsebit loafers, an Hermes belt with an H logo, and Fendi ties with the double F splayed across them.

Though I don't think you were the poster who suggested brands were necessary for upward mobility.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. Erichmax

I am talking about ladies that I will be going out to dinner with, not bosses and coworkers.

Let's start over, from these 15 brands, pick 3 that will impress ladies the most:
    Armani (not A/X)
    Burberry
    Christian Dior
    Dolce & Gabbana
    Givenchy
    Gucci
    Hermes
    Hugo Boss
    Lanvin
    Louis Vuitton
    Prada
    Ralph Lauren
    Saint Laurent Paris
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Versace

11. JubeiSpiegel

Can specify further? A lot of those labels have diffusion brands, and I assume those will not get you any street cred...

12. Erichmax

I am sure those ladies won't know the difference unless it's Armani Exchange or Polo. Everything else they just assume is luxury.

True story: I was went to a dinner with a Chinese girl. I wore what I thought to be a stylish jacket. She told me that I dress differently than Chinese men do and asked what brand my jacket is. So I told her it's Calvin Klein. She just turned cold after that [​IMG]

In subsequent dates with other girls, I would try to lead the conversation into fashion, and they will inevitably ask me what brand I am wearing. So I just answer "Oh this? It's just Armani" then just quickly changed the topic like it's no big deal. But I would see their mouths opened a little, lol. And everything would be smooth after that.

13. JubeiSpiegel

Wait, so I get no cred upgrade from Emporio, to Collezioni, to GA label? What is the point of being a shallow elitist then?

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

In Florida the best looking gold diggers are usually on the arm of some dude in Ed Hardy

15. JubeiSpiegel

I can vouch for this.

That, or some 100% silk Tommy Bahama shirt...