• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which clothing brand impresses the ladies the most?

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wait, so I get no cred upgrade from Emporio, to Collezioni, to GA label? What is the point of being a shallow elitist then?

They probably would recognize the Emporio eagle logo the most. They probably think that Armani is Armani, unless it's A/X. Some of them don't even know the difference between A/X and other lines and think Armani is cheap stuff. So my new favorite answer when they ask what I am wearing is "Gucci".

^^Ed Hardy is associated with the lower class over there, because there are Ed Hardy like shirts all over their street night market stands.

Chopper88

Reaction score
I am sure those ladies won't know the difference unless it's Armani Exchange or Polo. Everything else they just assume is luxury.

True story: I was went to a dinner with a Chinese girl. I wore what I thought to be a stylish jacket. She told me that I dress differently than Chinese men do and asked what brand my jacket is. So I told her it's Calvin Klein. She just turned cold after that
musicboohoo[1].gif

In subsequent dates with other girls, I would try to lead the conversation into fashion, and they will inevitably ask me what brand I am wearing. So I just answer "Oh this? It's just Armani" then just quickly changed the topic like it's no big deal. But I would see their mouths opened a little, lol. And everything would be smooth after that.

You really crack me up
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I just walk around with 10 Kelly bags on my arm and some Loubs so I have the brands ladies most recognize. Those ****** classy chinese ladies just love that ****.

blackadder

Reaction score
I don't think there's any need for the racism accusations. Cultural view of wealth, style, class, and so forth varies between "white" countries as well. Plenty of people in Europe will say similar things about the US. They may be mistaken nonetheless, but they aren't saying or believing these things because of Americans' race. If China were a "white" country that had regardless had the same historical, linguistic, and cultural divergence from Europe and North America, would it then be completely acceptable to comment on its different culture? That seems to me a bizarre way to look at the world.

I suspect what Erichmax is describing, if it's true, is just a result of rapid Westernisation: brands are the easiest way to pigeonhole something if you don't actually know much about the subject, and the vast majority of Chinese could not afford (or probably even legally buy) these sorts of clothes 10 or 20 years ago.

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Much of them still could not afford these luxury items today. The ones who can are the upper class who buy them in bulk. I see Chinese tourists paying retail price for a dozen of Louise Vuitton bags at the mall or outlet all the time. For them, wearing something like Gucci is advertising your status as a member of the upper class.

There is a reason why Asian cultures are generally more superficial compared to Western cultures, and that is the concept of "face". Face is the chief motivator for many of their behaviors because it is related to reputation and respect. For them, improving one's face is to have something to show for: wearing the right brand, driving the right car, knowing the right people, going to the right college. Yes, the reason why there are so many Asian students in well known Ivy League schools compared to similarly rigorous but less prestigious schools is that Asian parents demand their kids to get into those Ivy League schools so they can improve the standings of their own face. In those cultures, having good characters are secondary and having face is primary.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a reason why Asian cultures are generally more superficial compared to Western cultures, and that is the concept of "face".
Geert Hofstede, Michael Bond, Ronald Inglehart, Uichol Kim (and a host of other Korean scholars) and Shalom Schwartz are going to disagree with you for empirical reasons. I suspect Veblen will provide a better explanation as to East Asia's superficiality (and it's economic rather than cultural, though Hofstede's collectivism probably explains how uniform it is).

Stick to picking up shallow women and leave the cultural explanations to people who, you know, research them. As far as the three brands I'd guess:

Hermes tie and accessories.
Gucci or Armani suit.
Ferragamo for belt and shoes.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whelp, I've lived in East Asia for a while now, and though most of my research has been in economics, I've been moving into quantifying cultural values recently. Eventually I hope to do a dissertation on some sort synthesis of cultural and behavioral economics (though that'll have to wait for my return to the US).

I don't mind that the OP wants to pick up women using their love of branding. But the incorrect cultural interpretations are grating. Still, he seems willing to move past that and focus on the women, so more power to him. And he is right that brand whoring it up in China is going to work a lot better than it would in North America or Europe. Just not about why.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Status symbols differ from tools of social mobility, particularly when social mobility is tied with economic mobility. [...] I'm a lot more confident in saying this about Japan and Korea than I am about China and Hong Kong.

This is a good point about mobility. It's true that if most of the people around you have decided that wearing a certain logo indicates whether you can give greater opportunities to one's children, travel, or just generally experience life more, and that by not having one might imply you're at risk of going back to the countryside, then yes the brand-obsession in China or anywhere becomes more understandable. A dude in Shenzhen showing off a LV belt is no different than a Brooklyn hipster showing off a beard or a 6 pack of PBR. Most people do buy into various affectations like that and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's part of being human and can be fun... but gradually the more one starts looking for intellectually-developed partners, the less important it becomes. Personally, if I wanted to play the game I'd stick with my tailored clothing and just go all out on a seriously bejeweled watch.

Last edited:

MisterFu

Reaction score
You know what really impresses women more than silly labels and brands? When you spend money on THEM. I've found they really enjoy great entertainment, food and getting stuff more than watching you wear the stuff you bought yourself.

Just a thought.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could also whip out ********* and put it on the bar. That works if you can't be bothered with silly clothing brands and accessories

Last edited:

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score

Erichmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Geert Hofstede, Michael Bond, Ronald Inglehart, Uichol Kim (and a host of other Korean scholars) and Shalom Schwartz are going to disagree with you for empirical reasons. I suspect Veblen will provide a better explanation as to East Asia's superficiality (and it's economic rather than cultural, though Hofstede's collectivism probably explains how uniform it is). 

Stick to picking up shallow women and leave the cultural explanations to people who, you know, research them. As far as the three brands I'd guess:

Hermes tie and accessories.

Gucci or Armani suit.
Ferragamo for belt and shoes.

For your info. I do have an advanced degree in social science. Mr. Economist ;)
You should know there are different perspectives on this, and many scholars will agree with my view. There are other factors, of course, but the need for face is a big one.

You've lived in China for awhile? I am ethnically Chinese. Wanna have a go, bro?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads