• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Brown Cap Toe Blucher?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
This will be for business casual and dressy weekend wear - chinos in khaki, navy, and gray, and flannels in gray. Both have double-leather soles. I think a brown cap-toe like this will be a good 2nd shoe for my rotation (1st is a black cap-toe balmoral). Brooks Brothers
nK9mx.jpg
Crockett & Jones
iSVDE.jpg
I have to say I'm leaning towards the Crockett & Jones, even though it's more expensive. It looks like a much richer shade of brown.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could they be the same shoe with different badges? I don't trust photography when it comes to leather (and lots of other things).

MKB

Reaction score
Going by the photos, I've got to go with the C&Js. With the different angles and lighting, though, they could very well be the same shoe.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
The BB shoes you pictured are Alden Straight Tip on the Aberdeen last. Between those two, go with the CJs.

Have you tried these? These are either CJ (perhaps even the same ones you are looking at) or AS, and if you buy them tonight, you are getting a decent deal.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those shoes are identical
eh.gif

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flimsychicken
The BB shoes you pictured are Alden Straight Tip on the Aberdeen last. Between those two, go with the CJs.

Have you tried these? These are either CJ (perhaps even the same ones you are looking at) or AS, and if you buy them tonight, you are getting a decent deal.

Good find. I'm afraid they're a little on the light side of brown for my tastes, though. Again, could be just the picture, though.

Originally Posted by idfnl
Those shoes are identical
eh.gif

Well, it depends how accurate the photos are. The C&J look like a slightly deeper shade of brown that I happen to find more attractive. It could very well just be the picture though.

txeconomist

Reaction score
I think the BB are C&J. I have the “Brown Square Cap Blucher” (which are C&J) and I think they are pretty much identical to the ones currently posted on the BB website, but under a slightly different name.

They are definitely different that the Bradford. The soles on the BB shoes have a little squarer toe than those of the Bradford. I saw the Bradford at T&A in NYC just a few weeks ago. Definitely different. If the money differential doesn’t matter to you then Id go for the Bradfords as I thought they looked a little better. That being said, I like min pretty well and wear them often. Definitely nice shoes.

A couple of side notes. The pic of the Bradford might actually be the Cordovan model so that might explain why the leather looks so different...yea I see that it doesnt say cordovan under the pic...but Im pretty sure the same pic is on plal for the cordovans...so Im just sayin. Also, Im not sure the color of the BB in my pic represents the actual color, I think they might be a little more tan/red/brown.

065H_BROWN.jpg

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
I think the BB are C&J. I have the "Brown Square Cap Blucher" (which are C&J) and I think they are pretty much identical to the ones currently posted on the BB website, but under a slightly different name.

They are definitely different that the Bradford. The soles on the BB shoes have a little squarer toe than those of the Bradford. I saw the Bradford at T&A in NYC just a few weeks ago. Definitely different. If the money differential doesn't matter to you then Id go for the Bradfords as I thought they looked a little better. That being said, I like min pretty well and wear them often. Definitely nice shoes.

A couple of side notes. The pic of the Bradford might actually be the Cordovan model so that might explain why the leather looks so different...yea I see that it doesnt say cordovan under the pic...but Im pretty sure the same pic is on plal for the cordovans...so Im just sayin. Also, Im not sure the color of the BB in my pic represents the actual color, I think they might be a little more tan/red/brown.

Thanks for your insight. I didn't even realize that the C&J Bradford was offered in Cordovan. I checked Plal, and the pictures for the calf and cordovan model look identical to my eye.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Well, it's immaterial now. My size is out of stock, even though it appears in the drop-down box of available sizes. This is becoming a pattern with me...missing out on a good deal on a piece I want because I mull so long that it's sold out by the time I make up my mind.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads