• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get alterations done in NYC?

BigRob

Reaction score
I have a few OTR shirts and slacks that I need minor alterations for (sleeves half an inch too long; some slacks need to be hemmed/let out at the waist). Where should I go to get it done? Looking for quality as well as cost-efficiency.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright. Here are some personal suggestions, but I have no idea what "cost efficiency" means to you or what areas you frequent.

For a sports coat or a full suit, I would go to Sam Wazin at 57 West 57th Street. Excellent quality, definitely not the least expensive.

For the trousers, I would probably go to Cardelino on 5th Ave near Madison Square Park since they need waist work. You have to be sure to check the work, though. I've had some minor issues, but they were eager to make them right, and did.

For straight hems or cuffs on trousers, I take them to Park Avenue Cleaners. There is a lady there who does a fine basic job. Just don't let her talk you out of cuffs or to go too long.

Good luck.

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score
Bless your heart.

I'm a young attorney at a large law firm in Midtown. It's important for my clothes to fit well, but also important for me to not be fashion-forward (i.e. my clothes can't be tight or otherwise garish).

Thanks again for the suggestions.

bradp

Reaction score
anyone have a rec downtown (or anywhere really) to have some trousers tapered/cuffed? Came up short in the tailoring thread posted above. I use wagner tailor on fulton for simple things but can't find any info on how reliable they would be for this kind of work. thanks.

es40

Reaction score
anyone have a rec downtown (or anywhere really) to have some trousers tapered/cuffed? Came up short in the tailoring thread posted above. I use wagner tailor on fulton for simple things but can't find any info on how reliable they would be for this kind of work. thanks.
I've generally had good experiences with Alteration Concept (the one at 17th st and 8th ave).

I've also heard good things about Hong Kong Tailor Jack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads