• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy box calf in England?

supershoefan

Reaction score
I heard the best calf is called box calf and Freudenburg was the best company to do box calf but after it finished its tannery production in 2002, who are still making box calf and where can I find them in England? Anyone can help?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by supershoefan
I heard the best calf is called box calf and Freudenburg was the best company to do box calf but after it finished its tannery production in 2002, who are still making box calf and where can I find them in England? Anyone can help?
I am in North America so can't answer the question of suppliers in your area, however, 'Box Calf', if memory serves, is leather produced by, what is called 'Chromium Tanning', which uses harsh and hazardous chemicals to tan hides in days as opposed to 'Vegetable Tanning' Vegetable Tanning is a safer and natural method that takes months for the tanning process to complete. It is to my understanding that vegetable tanned hides are the preferred choice for high end shoes, and leather goods. I may be wrong but 'Box Calf' is almost always corrected grain and therefore not the best. What would be your intended use of the leather you are seeking a supplier for?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Box calf is a premium leather used by the top makers.

rs232

Reaction score
No, box calf is full grain, named back in the day due to the grain shape formed by the tanning process. These days it just seems to be used to describe full grain, fine, shiney calf.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When Freudenberg tannery stopped production (early 2000s) parts of the management bought the right to produce leathers in the "Freudenberg method" and set up "Weinheimer Leder"

http://weinheimer-leder.com/weinheimerleder/index.html

The leather gets tanned in Poland according to the Weinheimer (Freudenberg) specifications. Some people in the trade think Weinheim is just as good as Freudenberg used to be, others think it's not quite as good. More often than not, they still talk about using Freudenberg, when strictly speaking it's Weinheim.

If you're in the UK, go to A & A Crack in Northampton, they stock Weinheim/Freudenberg:

http://www.aacrack.com/?a=uk

Crack will sell you a single hide. They even have a pile with reduced remnants. Particular if you are flexible about the colour, you should find a bargain.

supershoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I am in North America so can't answer the question of suppliers in your area,
however, 'Box Calf', if memory serves, is leather produced by, what is called 'Chromium Tanning',
which uses harsh and hazardous chemicals to tan hides in days as opposed to 'Vegetable Tanning'
Vegetable Tanning is a safer and natural method that takes months for the tanning process to complete.
It is to my understanding that vegetable tanned hides are the preferred choice for high end shoes, and leather goods.
I may be wrong but 'Box Calf' is almost always corrected grain and therefore not the best.
What would be your intended use of the leather you are seeking a supplier for?

I am not sure whether box calf is made by Chromium tanning, but it seems to be corrected grain to me. I want to use the claf to make shoes.
Why do high end shoemakers use corrected grain leather to make expensive shoes? I think guys here don't like correted grain leather. But they do look more polished and shining.
Can anyone direct me to a good supplier of calf?

supershoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rs232
No, box calf is full grain, named back in the day due to the grain shape formed by the tanning process. These days it just seems to be used to describe full grain, fine, shiney calf.

I saw the Freudenburg calf used by JL and I think that is corrected grain coz no hair holes can be seen and the surface should have been grazed. Are you sure that's full grain??

Groover

Reaction score
I doubt very much the box calf is corrected, certainly the box calf I've seen isn't.

Generally speaking corrected grain has a high shine finish (finish applied to the skin) or can have a pattern imprinted on it.

supershoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
When Freudenberg tannery stopped production (early 2000s) parts of the management bought the right to produce leathers in the "Freudenberg method" and set up "Weinheimer Leder"

http://weinheimer-leder.com/weinheimerleder/index.html

The leather gets tanned in Poland according to the Weinheimer (Freudenberg) specifications. Some people in the trade think Weinheim is just as good as Freudenberg used to be, others think it's not quite as good. More often than not, they still talk about using Freudenberg, when strictly speaking it's Weinheim.

If you're in the UK, go to A & A Crack in Northampton, they stock Weinheim/Freudenberg:

http://www.aacrack.com/?a=uk

Crack will sell you a single hide. They even have a pile with reduced remnants. Particular if you are flexible about the colour, you should find a bargain.

Thank you, these are very helpful info!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not sure whether box calf is made by Chromium tanning, but it seems to be corrected grain to me.

Box calf is a chrome tanned, full-grain, aniline-dyed leather (it is not corrected grain).

Chrome tanning produces soft leathers which drape well, suitable for shoe uppers or upholstery, while vegetal tanning produces stiff leathers for cases, bridle work or shoe bottoms (soles).

That's the rule, there are a few exceptions.

supershoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Box calf is a chrome tanned, full-grain, aniline-dyed leather (it is not corrected grain).

Chrome tanning produces soft leathers which drape well, suitable for shoe uppers or upholstery, while vegetal tanning produces stiff leathers for cases, bridle work or shoe bottoms (soles).

That's the rule, there are a few exceptions.

If it is not corrected grain, why I didn't see any hair holes on JL's leather samples? Were their surfaces covered with an overthick layer of dye?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it is not corrected grain, why I didn't see any hair holes on JL's leather samples? Were their surfaces covered with an overthick layer of dye?

In the best qualities the leather comes from very young animals, so the grain is very fine. Use a magnifying glass, and you will see the pores.

The leather is aniline dyed (in a bath of dye) not surface dyed with a spray gun and many coats. Sometimes box calf is "rolled", they use glass rollers and pressure to give it extra sheen. That still doesn't make it corrected grain.

I think, strictly speaking, box calf comes only in black.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bengal-

As always, thanks for your expertise here.

teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads