1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where can I get slim dress shirts? (pic examples inside)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

I hate buying dress shirts and then the shirt is baggy around the waist. I want slim shirts that will fit like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

2. hoomanbor

hoomanbor Member

That first shirt is probably altered.

Try brooks brothers extra slim. I've had good success with them.

3. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

how does Hugo Boss sound?

4. tricky

tricky Senior member

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim is still a tent. You need to get custom shirts or get a shirt that fits nice and then have a tailor take it in.

5. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

A good tailor should be able to take in a shirt for $15-$25 a pop.

6. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

Is that Hermes Man? :FU

7. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

In the real world people move, and that is why the shirt becomes baggy because it sort of draws out. Unless you are gonna tug it every 5 minutes to make it look straight again, stop fretting over it. In those pictures both are standing relatively straight after just having the shirt tucked in, so there is no room for bagginess, but just wait til Lautner bends down and then stands up again, his shirt will look baggy.

8. Boswell

Boswell Well-Known Member

Not if you wear shirt garters.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

[​IMG]

That's not much baggier. No chance he was fretting all day long.

10. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Yes but I doubt many wear shirt garters

11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Hey there. Check out this thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/35147/the-definitive-guide-to-slim-fit-shirts

If you're cheap, try moderntailor. It's pretty inexpensive for MTM shirts. Or, if you're in NYC, try CEGO custom shirts. BB Extra Slim doesn't fit me well. The armholes are still too big and low for my liking.

Kent Wang sells fantastically slim shirts also.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  12. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Shirts I have used in the past that are supposed to be slim fit:

Cheap:
    Express 1MX slim fit (cheap, stiff material but nice cuts)
    Banana Republic slim fit (okay fit, better material than Express but not as slim)

Mid-end:
    Brooks brothers extra-slim fit (their dress shirts are cut well but have some slack in the waist, their sportshirts are very slim in the waist)
    Hugo Boss black slim fit (fits similar to the BB ESF)
    Hugo Boss red (looser than the black slim fit)
    PRL custom slim fit (their custom is actually baggy, they have some shirts tagged "slim" in addition to custom)
    Theory sportshirts (their collar/sleeve tagged dress shirts are not cut that slim, the sportshirts are similar to BB ESF however)
    Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit (these are not actually slim at all and balloon out)

Upper mid-end:
    Thomas Pink slim fit (decent fit, construction doesn't justify price especially since it's rarely on sale)
    Ralph Lauren Black Label (these fit slightly slimmer than BB ESF, especially in the sleeves)

High end:
    No experience b/c I'm too poor to pay more than $150 a shirt

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

High end but discounted:

Shop the Finest- SF Affiliate
    Virtual ClothesHorse - Sf Affiliate
    Hilditch and Key Slim fit- You just missed the semi annual sale

Suggestion: When I was slimmer 15-20 years ago I used to buy
    traditional cut shirts like T&A, H&K, Mason & Brown (gone)
    Hawes and Curtis ( old ownership) and have them altered.
    At the time slim-cut shirts offered limited fabric choices

14. atila

atila Senior member

Buy whatever shirt you want at whatever price fits your budget and then get it tailored - it shouldn't cost you more than $25. If fit is your main concern a tailor can solve all your problems all the time.

15. chet31

chet31 Senior member

This is true, with the caveats that it still helps to get in the ballpark w/ the original shirt size, and shoulder width is often a problem w/ slim guys, and shoulders are not cost-effective for a tailor to fix - might as well get tailor-made shirts.

16. Russ_H

Russ_H Active Member

17. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I am about to try Modern Tailor - but I generally just bought shirts that fit around the shoulders and had them taken in. Just moved to NYC so I don't have a regular tailor to do that sort of thing right now.

18. Maerhyl

Maerhyl Well-Known Member

You might want to give Proper cloth a try. They are doing online MTM. You can enter your sizes in a profile, they have detailed instructions and you can even send a shirt to copy (they send it back unharmed!). I am certainly going to try them soon. They are getting good reviews from some sources I trust.

I am 6", 44 chest, about 32-33 waist, 190 lbs. I workout everyday.

Other than this my experience with slim fit shirts:

Zara, tailored fit: not bad but waist is a bit wide. Size down one. Medium is nice and sleeves are slim.
    Zara, slim fit, need a large. Fit is good but varies depending on the shirt.
    Club Monaco, slim fit: a little tight on the chest but not too bad. Great fit, slim sleeves.

BB extra slim fit: Horrible fit for me.
    Jcrew slim fit: doesn't work for me.
    H&M: fit is nice but still too wide on the waist and the shirts are and look extremely cheap.
    Banana: I don't know what they are doing but bad fit these days for me.
    Hugo Boss black label: not bad but expensive for something that is not exactly what I need.

I can comment on so many other shirts because I have done a personal quest to find good shirts.
    However, I arrived at the conclusion that MTM shirts are the best you can get. With the shape I am after working out 6 days a week, I need tailored shirts.

Frankly, the time has come for men to support good tailors again.

19. R Hasskamp

R Hasskamp New Member

Go to macys.com and search for Bar III super slim fit dress shirts. They are reasonable priced. Arm pit is cut high, and there are darts cut in back to pull in excess fabric fount on even the ordinary slim fit shirts. I'm 5'10" 153 lbs. These dress shirts fit like a glove. While style selection is limited, they do update frequently. There is also a line of super slim fit suit separates by Bar III. The cut will make even the slim guy look like an Adonis. The pant is snug around the hip and thigh with a lower rise modern waist. The jacket is double vented with a higher cut arm pit.

20. Stylishmartita

Stylishmartita Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend money for buying a RTW shirt and then more money to get it tailored. I'd go made to measure choosing an extra slim fitting and providing the shirtmaker with all your measures. Stretch fabrics are generally recommended cause the arm hole of an extra slim shirt can be very tight.