• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get slim dress shirts? (pic examples inside)

Bexcellence

Reaction score
I hate buying dress shirts and then the shirt is baggy around the waist. I want slim shirts that will fit like this:

Any suggestions?

hoomanbor

Reaction score
That first shirt is probably altered.

Try brooks brothers extra slim. I've had good success with them.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Extra Slim is still a tent. You need to get custom shirts or get a shirt that fits nice and then have a tailor take it in.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the real world people move, and that is why the shirt becomes baggy because it sort of draws out. Unless you are gonna tug it every 5 minutes to make it look straight again, stop fretting over it. In those pictures both are standing relatively straight after just having the shirt tucked in, so there is no room for bagginess, but just wait til Lautner bends down and then stands up again, his shirt will look baggy.

Boswell

Reaction score

In the real world people move, and that is why the shirt becomes baggy because it sort of draws out. Unless you are gonna tug it every 5 minutes to make it look straight again, stop fretting over it. In those pictures both are standing relatively straight after just having the shirt tucked in, so there is no room for bagginess, but just wait til Lautner bends down and then stands up again, his shirt will look baggy.

Not if you wear shirt garters.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Check out this thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/35147/the-definitive-guide-to-slim-fit-shirts

If you're cheap, try moderntailor. It's pretty inexpensive for MTM shirts. Or, if you're in NYC, try CEGO custom shirts. BB Extra Slim doesn't fit me well. The armholes are still too big and low for my liking.

Kent Wang sells fantastically slim shirts also.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts I have used in the past that are supposed to be slim fit:

Cheap:
Express 1MX slim fit (cheap, stiff material but nice cuts)
Banana Republic slim fit (okay fit, better material than Express but not as slim)

Mid-end:
Brooks brothers extra-slim fit (their dress shirts are cut well but have some slack in the waist, their sportshirts are very slim in the waist)
Hugo Boss black slim fit (fits similar to the BB ESF)
Hugo Boss red (looser than the black slim fit)
PRL custom slim fit (their custom is actually baggy, they have some shirts tagged "slim" in addition to custom)
Theory sportshirts (their collar/sleeve tagged dress shirts are not cut that slim, the sportshirts are similar to BB ESF however)
Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit (these are not actually slim at all and balloon out)

Upper mid-end:
Thomas Pink slim fit (decent fit, construction doesn't justify price especially since it's rarely on sale)
Ralph Lauren Black Label (these fit slightly slimmer than BB ESF, especially in the sleeves)

High end:
No experience b/c I'm too poor to pay more than $150 a shirt

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High end but discounted:

Shop the Finest- SF Affiliate
Virtual ClothesHorse - Sf Affiliate
Hilditch and Key Slim fit- You just missed the semi annual sale

Suggestion: When I was slimmer 15-20 years ago I used to buy
traditional cut shirts like T&A, H&K, Mason & Brown (gone)
Hawes and Curtis ( old ownership) and have them altered.
At the time slim-cut shirts offered limited fabric choices

atila

Reaction score
Buy whatever shirt you want at whatever price fits your budget and then get it tailored - it shouldn't cost you more than $25. If fit is your main concern a tailor can solve all your problems all the time.

chet31

Reaction score

Buy whatever shirt you want at whatever price fits your budget and then get it tailored - it shouldn't cost you more than $25. If fit is your main concern a tailor can solve all your problems all the time.

This is true, with the caveats that it still helps to get in the ballpark w/ the original shirt size, and shoulder width is often a problem w/ slim guys, and shoulders are not cost-effective for a tailor to fix - might as well get tailor-made shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads