• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHERE ARE THE AFRICA MEMBERS ON THE CLASSIC FORUM??

mc2k

Reaction score
Hi Alan Bee,
I thought I’ll get this thread active already. You wondered in the original post how some of the African members here get access to clothing giving the limitations…
shog[1].gif
. I stock up whenever I’m abroad 95% of the time, but I do go thrifting here in Accra once in a while mostly for casual shoes. I have gotten some very nice used Edward Greens and Loake shoes this way. These shoes are mostly vintage though. I have one barely worn Vintage Loake made from Elephant skin that I picked up the same way. Made in the late 60s I think. I was wondering since it is only you and I that are currently posting from the mainland, why don’t we for starters post pictures of the thrift/second hand clothing markets around? I'm sure SF members would love to see how we manage the challenge especially for us in the tropics. Sadly I couldn’t get to visit the one in Lagos the last time I was there. I went thrifting last weekend at the largest thrift/used clothing market here in Accra called “kantamanto” (I hope niidawg3 will chip in to say something about this place since it appears he's originally from a min drive away from this place)…took a few shots.

I picked up this zara jacket (which I don’t have a need for right now…hopefully later this year) in the midst of these well beaten up old leather jackets. I took a few photos of the stand. They looked mostly vintage to me. These jackets are of course not worn here. They are mostly bought by Ghanaians traveling to countried with cold climates that are looking for something on the cheap. The zara jacket was going for 50 cedis (about $12) so I said why not. Here are a few photos of the stand.

I walked off only to see this apparently used white shirts stand. Most of them were made by Charles Tyrwhitt. In my opinion these are way better than the poorly constructed Indian and Chinese made shirts that are usually found in developing countries.

I will go thrifting again tomorrow. I’ll see if I can get more photos of the ties, shoes, trews, belts, socks, hat, etc stands. Cheers
smile.gif

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of us S/F Africa Chapter members on this thread, could you please spare a few moments of your SF browsing to answer a few questions? This is a soft market survey in connection with a potential investment into a Neapolitan tailoring/manufacturing house.

Conducting a quick poll.

How much do you (i) currently pay or (ii) would you pay for your tailored suits, jackets, shirts? 

Suit/Sport Coats
A) $1,500 or less
A) $2,000 
B) $3,000
C) $4,000 or more

Shirts
A) $100 or less
B) $200 
C) $300
D) $350 or more

Where do you Currently Shop for Tailored Garments
A) Abroad (Off the rack)
B) Abroad (Custom Made)
C) Locally (Off The Rack)
D) Locally (Custom Made)
E) Traveling Tailors from Hong Kong or India

Please, you may just respond Suits A, Shirts B etc. Do bear in mind the price ranges would of course reflect the quality of the garment and more individuality built into the product. Furthermore, 

A) how long are you willing to wait to take delivery of the final garment? There may be one (1) fitting between ordering and delivery of the garment.

Thank you and regards

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone take a swipe yet??

Where are my fellow Africanas?

Alan Bee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads