• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where am I supposed to meet gals these days?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So where does one meet boys these days?
One does not meet boys these days, instead, one sulks at home, with his vices. Maybe I'll meet someone when I'm in NY next week. Have a 4 hour romance, and come home.

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
GoSurface said:
Sorry, that was a bad Spitzer joke. Like, real bad.
That's nice to know. I tought you were angry with me, for my "denigration" of women. I find it difficult to understand this type of jokes.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
You can interpret this a billion ways. Having participated in plenty of seminars on Aristotle, I have seen most of them. For example, Aristotle could be saying that women reach emotional maturity at 18, while it takes men 20 more years to reach the maturity of an 18 year old girl. Or he could be commenting on Greek society, where a man needed time to develop social standing before he wed. He could be talking about social customs.

If you think men should marry later in life and women earlier with an elbow nudge to the ribs, I wouldn't go around twisting Aristotle's words because they can just as easily backfire. If you're strong in that belief, you don't need a single-line quote from Aristotle to back it up.

Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio
That's correct. However knowing Aristotle's opinion on the subject is a good thing.

Perhaps. However, while one certainly can interpret Aristotle's isolated comment any number of ways, he's pretty much on record (see Politics) as being a misogynist, and a bigot for good measure. Knowing Aristotle's general opinion on the relationships between women and men is a good thing if one is going to quote him as an authority on the subject.

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
pstoller said:
Perhaps. However, while one certainly can interpret Aristotle's isolated comment any number of ways, he's pretty much on record (see Politics) as being a misogynist, and a bigot for good measure. Knowing Aristotle's general opinion on the relationships between women and men is a good thing if one is going to quote him as an authority on the subject.
True. Misogynistic attitudes are a thing of the past (or should be). We are living in the XXI century.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
Women are everywhere.

Finding what you physically want is easy.

The general socio-economic status (SES) things - upbringing, religion, education, income, profession is also easy.

Finding an attractive girl with the right SES that 1) you like and 2) likes you back is the million dollar question.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio
So you think Aristotle's wrong?. Please clarify. "The appropriate age for marriage is around eighteen for girls and thirty-seven for men." Aristotle
And I understood your point and Aristotle's point just fine, it's just not realistic or practical, which was my point. At a time when the average person was married early (like before 20) and barely lived past the age of 40, it might make some sense, but not today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads