• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely find a brand that is not vanity sized. Brooks Brothers has not been an exception. If anything they run truer to measurement than other brands that I buy.

The best advice is to find the fit that matches your body style and stick with it. Before I found SF and really educated myself, my shizz was all over the place based on the marked size. I have some Adriano Goldschmeid jeans in 33 that are a little loose but they're my go-to jeans 'cuz the missus likes 'em. Well then I go to BB and try on some Milanos and keep going up and up and up until FINALLY at size 38 I'm able to sit down without fear of testicular suffocation, and then BB had to pull the waist in. Lessons learned: 1. Low rise is great for jeans, bad for chinos, unspeakable for dress pants. 2. No more effing Milanos.

jmeb

Reaction score
Am I crazy or is it impossible to find a must-iron oxford cloth button down shirt (with a pocket, not the logo on the chest) on the BB site? Please tell me they still make this shirt....

Jackboot

Reaction score
I ended up ordering multiple sizes and will just return what doesn't fit. A waste of time and money.

In contrast to BB, J.Crew can tell you the exact measurements for *everything* on their website. This is great because measurements can vary slightly across items even in the same size. Oh, and employees (both telephone and in-store) have never had an attitude problem in my experience. BB should take note about how a pleb brand like J.Crew operates.

I think it must be a management problem at BB, because the problem is pervasive in my experience at some 6 retail stores and many telephone calls.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The best advice is to find the fit that matches your body style and stick with it.  Before I found SF and really educated myself, my shizz was all over the place based on the marked size.  I have some Adriano Goldschmeid jeans in 33 that are a little loose but they're my go-to jeans 'cuz the missus likes 'em.  Well then I go to BB and try on some Milanos and keep going up and up and up until FINALLY at size 38 I'm able to sit down without fear of testicular suffocation, and then BB had to pull the waist in.  Lessons learned: 1. Low rise is great for jeans, bad for chinos, unspeakable for dress pants.  2.  No more effing Milanos.

Agreed.

Am I crazy or is it impossible to find a must-iron oxford cloth button down shirt (with a pocket, not the logo on the chest) on the BB site? Please tell me they still make this shirt....

This is a Red Fleece one.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Solid...?dwvar_MG01372_Color=WHIT&contentpos=13&cgid=

jmeb

Reaction score

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah...I found that one, but do not prefer Red Fleece. I can't believe the absolute staple OCBD is no longer offered by BB. (Red Fleece is cut very trim, short tails = doesn't stay tucked in well, shorter collar = less roll.)
It's probably still being offered and just not on their website at the moment.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, they make those - I bought some must-iron ocbds in the december sale. They surely can't be all sold out in stores, especially because I felt they were lower quality (less substantial cloth, doesn't iron very well) than previous batches.

monkeynuts

Reaction score
I ended up ordering multiple sizes and will just return what doesn't fit. A waste of time and money.

In contrast to BB, J.Crew can tell you the exact measurements for *everything* on their website. This is great because measurements can vary slightly across items even in the same size. Oh, and employees (both telephone and in-store) have never had an attitude problem in my experience. BB should take note about how a pleb brand like J.Crew operates.

I think it must be a management problem at BB, because the problem is pervasive in my experience at some 6 retail stores and many telephone calls.
lol then why keep dealing with BB?

i do agree that the reps tend to be snooty. thats why u have to go in there or talk to them on phone like youre the Emperor of the Universe. Pretty woman them

Jackboot

Reaction score

lol then why keep dealing with BB?

i do agree that the reps tend to be snooty.  thats why u have to go in there or talk to them on phone like youre the Emperor of the Universe.  Pretty woman them

Despite the fact that their reps seem to be uniformly bad, I really like both their dress and casual (red fleece) stuff. Well made and priced right when on sale. And normally don't have to deal with their human help, just the website. So I guess that is why I continue to deal with BB :)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've almost always found Brooks Bothers' phone people to be very helpful. I've experienced a few douchebag SAs, but on the whole I've had great experiences with their customer service.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix