• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the oldest thing you own?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Streewear- and denim-wise, that is. According to my fave vintage shop, I now own a 1940s hunter's/crusier red/black plaid jacket. Kind of blows me away that I'm wearing something almost 70 years old.

I've got other stuff. I inherited from my dad, a herringbone topcoat, for example, from the 1960s. And I have a flannel shirt from the 1950s.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I suppose this isn't SW&D related, or atleast not entirely SW&D but in a cigar box hidden away in the floor boards of my parents house (think Amelie) I have a pretty old Hohner 'Marine Band' harmonica my great grandfather carried with him for years. I am not certain to the age, but when he died in '96 he was 100, and my grandfather said he'd remembered him playing it on sundays when everyone got together to play dominoes.

I think the oldest Clothing related item I have are a handful of ties I got which are from the 40's. The majority of my wardrobe is thrifted gear from the 60's-80's with good 90's items sprinkled in.

ohh, and I have a pair of early 60's 503's (youth 501's) with selvage, rivets,et cetera.

robbie

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow, all that's cool, robbie.

Aside from the topcoat from my dad, i don't think i have anything else with a personal connection to the past, aside from my LP collection, which dates from when I first started buying records in the 60s.

Clotheswise, there's something about old stuff. Can't put my finger on it.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wool Filson cruiser from the 40s. Other than that a dinosauer tooth that's 50 or 60 million years old give or take a few mil.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hard to beat that (the dinosaur's tooth).

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Omega Seamaster watch from about 1967 (give or take a year) that gets worn a lot. I also have a few old ties from my dad from the late 1950s but I rarely ever wear them.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I have tons (literally trunks full [not literally tons]) of Filson, Pendleton, Eddie Bauer and other local outfitters from the '40's to the '80's that I have found in the family attics and storage spaces around Seattle, Tacoma and Everett. That is just where everyone would go before big family camping trips or hunting trips every year and the clothes didn't fall apart so my grandmothers kept them for some reason. Some of the Filson disco-lumberjack era stuff is hilarious. Anyway, after years I have finally collected it all at the house on Camano Island and soon I plan to douse them all in gasoline and torch the whole pile for a picture essay called "Your Trend in Flames" which I will likely post in SW&D. There is a North Face 60/40 Made in USA from 1969 that I will likely keep because it is valuable and looks cool as ****. But I digress, a lot of cool stuff in there to be sure.

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I have tons (literally trunks full [not literally tons]) of Filson, Pendleton, Eddie Bauer and other local outfitters from the '40's to the '80's that I have found in the family attics and storage spaces around Seattle, Tacoma and Everett. That is just where everyone would go before big family camping trips or hunting trips every year and the clothes didn't fall apart so my grandmothers kept them for some reason. Some of the Filson disco-lumberjack era stuff is hilarious. Anyway, after years I have finally collected it all at the house on Camano Island and soon I plan to douse them all in gasoline and torch the whole pile for a picture essay called "Your Trend in Flames" which I will likely post in SW&D. There is a North Face 60/40 Made in USA from 1969 that I will likely keep because it is valuable and looks cool as ****. But I digress, a lot of cool stuff in there to be sure.

And you're burning this because?

reprehensible

Reaction score
I have a pair of docs (brown chukkas) and an LL Bean barn coat that I've had since mid/late high school (so... '96-ish?). Both in fine condition.

No hereditary clothing, though.

gee_

Reaction score
My father gave me a London Fog overcoat from when he was 17 so I guess around 40ish years old

mas_cerveza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lynx_the_one
And you're burning this because?

sarcasm.

Anyways, the oldest thing I own clothing-wise is a brown leather bomber handed down from my father. He wore it as a teen so I'm guessing it's from the 70s. Needs a bit of conditioning.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I suppose this isn't SW&D related, or atleast not entirely SW&D but in a cigar box hidden away in the floor boards of my parents house (think Amelie) I have a pretty old Hohner 'Marine Band' harmonica my great grandfather carried with him for years. I am not certain to the age, but when he died in '96 he was 100, and my grandfather said he'd remembered him playing it on sundays when everyone got together to play dominoes.
good story. The oldest family clothing/accessory item I have is my grandfather's gold bulova from the 50's The oldest family nonclothing item I have is a book from the 1700's containing handwritten notes, poems and other writing by my family members who lived in Virginia at that time. I don't know how this book has survived or how it managed to stay in the family. It has limited financial value but is very important to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads