• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the most untrendiest denim style?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nah Brian, don't think that analogy holds much water. Style in clothing has been exponentially far more adventurous than car design. Car designers, and I know b/c my friends are some, have to appeal to the masses. Fashion on the other hand has always had an independant quality so it's not fair to compare. I think my mode of transportation analogy is more accurate.

Fok, I was talking about jeans in terms of functionality for dressy occasions. They won't be "undone" as far as acceptable attire is concerned.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that the word 'untrendiest' is a horrible breach of linguistic etiquette.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'd like to point out that the word 'untrendiest' is a horrible breach of linguistic etiquette.

Sorry, Slim, "least trendy". Is that better? Hope it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of your cucumber and cream cheese finger sandwiches
plain.gif

Babar

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'd look just as out of place with slim dark jeans six years from now, as people in distressed flares look today. But why would anyone worry about their current style being untrendy half a decade from now? It's better to look great today and then refine your style as time goes on, than to look merely okay now and merely okay then. *Everyone* will cringe at the sight of skinnyjeans six years from now, but that's kinda how fashion works.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Fok, I was talking about jeans in terms of functionality for dressy occasions. They won't be "undone" as far as acceptable attire is concerned.

Sure they will. Bllack overdyed jeans are all over the place these days. Remember when black jeans were only worn by ageing Metallica fans, not so long ago?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
I'm pretty sure you'd look just as out of place with slim dark jeans six years from now, as people in distressed flares look today. But why would anyone worry about their current style being untrendy half a decade from now? It's better to look great today and then refine your style as time goes on, than to look merely okay now and merely okay then. *Everyone* will cringe at the sight of skinnyjeans six years from now, but that's kinda how fashion works.

because I don't want to be a slave to trend. I want to establish and ideology about clothes. To wear clothes that are so free from "trendy" embellishes that they won't look out place in the near future.

It's like if modern day actors took a screenplay from the show "Cheers" and acted it out today, it would still be good quality television because the writing is timeless. THey'd be dressed differently but... oh boy, now i'm headed into a parallel universe territory.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nah Brian, don't think that analogy holds much water. Style in clothing has been exponentially far more adventurous than car design. Car designers, and I know b/c my friends are some, have to appeal to the masses. Fashion on the other hand has always had an independant quality so it's not fair to compare. I think my mode of transportation analogy is more accurate.

They're both forms of product design and they both follow trends, though I agree to a lesser extent. There are plenty of independent car designers as well, they just don't actually get made.

I dress trendy as **** and I admit it. I wear skinny jeans, black jeans, tight jackets and shirts, grey black white, pointy dress shoes, the works. But I don't try and make up reasons why I won't look like a fool 5 years later. Hell, if I looked at photos of myself five years later and I was looking like normal joe in a mervyn's shirt and khaki's, I'd be cringing. At least when I look back at my WAYWT posts in a couple years, I'll be chuckling instead of cringing.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
because I don't want to be a slave to trend. I want to establish and ideology about clothes. To wear clothes that are so free from "trendy" embellishes that they won't look out place in the near future. It's like if modern day actors took a screenplay from the show "Cheers" and acted it out today, it would still be good quality television because the writing is timeless. THey'd be dressed differently but... oh boy, now i'm headed into a parallel universe territory.
Comedy writing is a completely different ball game here. I couldn't imagine how to draw similar lines between that and clothing. If you're looking to be separate from trends, you have some great advice here. Dress like Jeff Foxworthy. I have a very strong ideology about clothing, and I think everyone should. But unless you want to follow said advice (Foxworthy), you're never going to look immune to trends. Hell, even the fabrics and cuts on polo shirts are changing so much in these times, you'd look out of place in 5 years in biz. cas. gear.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Sorry, Slim, "least trendy". Is that better? Hope it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of your cucumber and cream cheese finger sandwiches
plain.gif

It disturbs me greatly that you believe that I could eat anything as coarse and unrefined as a 'sandwich'. I beg your pardon, but those are for the lower classes. Not to mention that cucumbers and cream cheese are far too bold for my palette sir. My tastes are somewhat more refined than the gutter trash peasant food you commoners seem to sustain yourselves on.

Cucumbers indeed...what next, lettuce?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Sure they will. Bllack overdyed jeans are all over the place these days. Remember when black jeans were only worn by ageing Metallica fans, not so long ago?
I think it is worth noting that that is in part due to advances in dyes. Ten years ago, black denim that faded like indigo denim was impossible. Hardly the only reason, but not an insignificant factor.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
because I don't want to be a slave to trend.
if you are posting on a fashion board to find out which is the least trendy jean to avoid being a slave to trends, you are hopelessly shackled to the whims of that capricious master we call fashion, with no hope of manumission. anyway, whoever said that utility is the antithesis to "trendiness" hit on something. i present for your consideration-----overalls:
alexandreh085zq9.jpg
blush.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I think it is worth noting that that is in part due to advances in dyes. Ten years ago, black denim that faded like indigo denim was impossible. Hardly the only reason, but not an insignificant factor.

hmm I think you are confusing regular black denim dye with overdye. Yeah regular black denim is new, but the overdye that is popular in some circles right now is shockingly similar to rocker jeans.

DSC05067-713319.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads