• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the most untrendiest denim style?

Brian SD

Reaction score
foxworthy-97s.JPG

Those are the jeans that will still be around in 6 years.

I agree with LA Guy. IMO, investing in the future is kind of a foolish idea when it comes to fashion and style. Dressing 'classic' is as much an affectation as dressing in the moment. Look at a picture of your great grandparents and I guarantee you despite the proclamations that suits and such are classic, you can always tell the oldies from the current stuff. Our takes on classic wear are different from what was actually worn back in the day, for the most part – for example, airfrogusmc has pointed out that vintage 47 Levi's are cut a lot wider than the slimmed-up LVC and Sugarcane repros. Those who attempt to look like they're dressing from 40s style 'classic' clothing are just as obvious that they're dressing from the 40s. You'll get comments like "you look so classic and well-dressed," when that really translates to "you look like you belong on the 50s, and since there's a general consensus that the 50s was the 'golden age,' that means you're stylish."

I think one-wash denim is pretty solid to fall back on because it is essentially the most basic form of denim and I don't really know how trendy you can call it. Raw denim is definitely a trend, however. Though in 6 years if everyone's back in light-colored denim like they were 4 years ago, even one-wash denim may look foolish.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
Perhaps this should be taken as an indicator of the idiocy of groupthink that permeatess, particularly, the Men's Clothing forum as it regards things like ideal lapel widths. Wear what suits your body type and interests and forget the bullshit.

Forums geared towards the afficionado practically invented the term 'groupthink.' It runs rampant here and even moreso on Superfuture, and it's definitely prominent in the Men's Clothing forum.

Every once in awhile you have to slap yourself and think about reality. The reality here is that cool jeans are cool for today and that's what makes them cool. But the only jeans that are timeless are so boring in every regard that we wouldn't even consider them stylish.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Forums geared towards the afficionado practically invented the term 'groupthink.' It runs rampant here and even moreso on Superfuture, and it's definitely prominent in the Men's Clothing forum.

Every once in awhile you have to slap yourself and think about reality. The reality here is that cool jeans are cool for today and that's what makes them cool. But the only jeans that are timeless are so boring in every regard that we wouldn't even consider them stylish.

If my trouser cuffs are .25" off, the man sitting across from me (who is clearly himself an AAAC member [META: AARP AM I RITE LOL LOL LOL]!) will judge me for the worse and my masculine business fantasy hard-on will dwindle. All is beige. I have become my Passat.

Similarly: I wonder if Tomoko will notice that this is a Band of Outsiders polo shirt instead of a Par Four polo shirt that I pulled out of a garbage bin. I hope she hasn't been watching my awkward youtube videos!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One the subject of 1 wash jeans. I remember thinking, in the mid 80's that my dad was a huge dork because he wore one wash jeans from the the discount store that were dark and became worn in so unevenly. I convinced my mom that he needed stonewashed jeans, and, not caring one bit, said "whatever", and has been wearing the same Michael J. Fox circa 1986 style to this day, while I am trying to get the same fades he had way back when. Guess that the joke was on me.

Edit: OMG
redface.gif
My father in law looks like Michael J. Fox, just bigger and older. What are my kids going to grow up to look like?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"No, no, no, no, no, LA Guy, both you and Jen turn out fine. It's your kids, LA Guy, something has got to be done about your kids!" - Doc Brown
-------
It's true; how long as the streetwear and denim forum even been here? And tastes have changed a lot in that short time.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my trouser cuffs are .25" off, the man sitting across from me (who is clearly himself an AAAC member [META: AARP AM I RITE LOL LOL LOL]!) will judge me for the worse and my masculine business fantasy hard-on will dwindle. All is beige. I have become my Passat.

Similarly: I wonder if Tomoko will notice that this is a Band of Outsiders polo shirt instead of a Par Four polo shirt that I pulled out of a garbage bin. I hope she hasn't been watching my awkward youtube videos!

You had me at hello.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
"No, no, no, no, no, LA Guy, both you and Jen turn out fine. It's your kids, LA Guy, something has got to be done about your kids!" - Doc Brown

Shoreman, now, you don't want me to fail that exam, do you shoreman? No, I didn't think so.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I don't think dark jeans will ever go out as far as being for more dressy occasions. That's like saying dark clothes will go out of style. Fok is trying to be some kind of nostradamus (sp?) but he will be proven wrong. Regular fits also will not go out.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I don't think dark jeans will ever go out as far as being for more dressy occasions.

I don't think you can say that though. For example, wearing jeans at all on a dressy occasion was not acceptable in the 50s or 60s. And I dunno about you but dark raw jeans were made fun of in my middle school and high school, around 1986-1992. People wanted acid wash Girbauds, not walmart toughskins or wranglers.

Once again, you cant say anything for certain. There is not a single Cut-x-Wash jean which has stayed in style for 100 years. Its impossible.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i disagree with LA
in six years, our raw jeans will be looking pretty good!
(i will have gotten through most of my rotation by then, methinks)

I agree they will be looking good, but will they be trendy? That's something completely different

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, there is one style which is immune to fashion trends, and thats a style based on pure function. Like you work at a fish market and you need rubber galoshes. Or you work at a restaurant and you need cooks pants and a white shirt. Or you are actually a cowboy and you need tough jeans with hidden rivets. When I think of function specific clothing, that can be timeless. Other than that, styles will change.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I don't think you can say that though. For example, wearing jeans at all on a dressy occasion was not acceptable in the 50s or 60s. And I dunno about you but dark raw jeans were made fun of in my middle school and high school, around 1986-1992. People wanted acid wash Girbauds, not walmart toughskins or wranglers.

Once again, you cant say anything for certain. There is not a single Cut-x-Wash jean which has stayed in style for 100 years. Its impossible.

Right but you're assuming that we will circle back to that line of thinking which won't happen. That's like saying cars will be obsolete and we'll be riding horses everywhere we go.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this should be taken as an indicator of the idiocy of groupthink that permeatess, particularly, the Men's Clothing forum as it regards things like ideal lapel widths. Wear what suits your body type and interests and forget the bullshit.
+1 There is considerable theory (see Manton's book, for eg), concerning the way jackets are designed to enhance the natural male form - in a presumably semi-conscious way. The theories about just which lapel widths do what have not been tested, but they're at least based on testable principles. There is less to work with below the belt, but I can come up with some theories off the top of my head:
  • Women will never lose interest in men's butts. Therefore, wear jeans with a fitted seat until you have nothing worth looking at. Anti-fit = trad
  • Edwardians liked to show off their calves. This isn't widespread in other cultures, but it's at least worth considering that slim legs that hug calves, or stacked legs that make them appear larger, have something to them.
  • Dark colours (particularly navy) have a number of benefits to them, so one-wash indigo is a generally flattering colour.
teacha.gif
Raw denim, in particular, is a symptom of the widespread obsession with authenticity characteristic of late modernism. I don't think anyone's sure when early postmodernism becomes widespread and what that will mean for fashion, but raw denim will surely be a casualty.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Raw denim is definitely trendy, outside our circle. Around campus I see many pairs of raw Levi's STF being worn. It's really taken off in the hip-hop culture and for the most part has nothing to do with denim quality obsession.

Right but you're assuming that we will circle back to that line of thinking which won't happen. That's like saying cars will be obsolete and we'll be riding horses everywhere we go.
Great analogy but you're missing the point - the point is that the cars that used to be popular looked something like this:

4523895645li.jpg

It's not obsolete, but damn...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Your car/horses analogy is a poor one because cars have a functional advantage over horses (well, in most cases, but you know what I mean.) Cars go faster, etc, etc... There is no functional advantage dark jeans over light colored jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads