• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the big deal with "hand made"?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us separate hand made from custom made.

Custom clothing is handmade often but not always, and there is no absolute requirement for it to be so. (Insert longrunning debate over 'bespoke' definitions here.)

The OP is asking about handmade RTW.

In most cases, as Doc suggests, it is just a fetish.

However, there are certain tailoring details that make a garment look better and hold its shape better that can, AFAIK, only be done by hand. I'm thinking of all the tiny stitches on the underside of a lapel, for instance. Also, I believe there is some stitching at the shoulder for instance, that make it fit best and last longer, and that is best done with different frequencies of stitches in different areas. Perhaps this is hard to do with a machine.

But in most cases, I think we just like hand work because we like the way it looks, and because we enjoy supporting the artisans who make it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
** You are confusing design with physical production, IMO. Of course a human is best at design, be it bespoke or RTW. But for most manufactured goods, machines (properly informed of the design) are better at physical production.

Qualitatively Better? Doubtful- More efficient? Absolutely. A skilled craftsman with the best tools at his disposal can build a motor that rivals any that rolls of the assembly line. But it will take him ages.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
The OP is asking about handmade RTW.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If you have no passion/understanding of the value of individuality, craftasmanship, uniqueness, aesthetics, then there's little more to say.

I think CG's words relate to more than just bespoke. But that's just me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I'd add also that it really is something you likely appreciate across other areas, too. For example, restaurants- I'd really much rather go to my little neighborhood bistro where we know the owner and the kitchen staff, where they source most things locally and make everything to order than to any of the chains nearby.

I like being able to remember the face of the people who have made my clothing. I like that I know some of there personal stories.

thereader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Depends whether "hand made" is by a pair of virgin's hands or a pair of filthy guy's hands that being used to masturbate himself frequently and vigorously.

Most ppl masturbate once a while. Virgins musturbate frequently cos they dont get sex.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Depends whether "hand made" is by a pair of virgin's hands or a pair of filthy guy's hands that being used to masturbate himself frequently and vigorously.

A couple of years ago, I referred a friend of mine to a tailor near Union Square.

My friend went with some clothes to be altered. The old tailors I knew were gone; they'd sold their business to the new guy.

When my friend went back, open door, heard no one, looked around a corner, found the new guy at his computer.

Appreciation on the screen.

No further visits.

wasteland

Reaction score
Here is a somewhat long video showing what I guess would be low to mid-range bespoke. It has machine sewn seams and button holes but also some hand work. I found the computer (CAD) pattern making and the pressing interesting. If this has been previously posted I apologize.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads