• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you wear with this blazer?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
It's wool/cashmere so not suitable for warm weather, and I don't really have a lot of experience with light-coloured jackets as winter wear.

In the first pic I teamed it with a blue cotton/linen shirt that I am trying to find things to go with (see other thread) and green chinos. Are chinos with a wool/cashmere jacket acceptable, or is the jacket material or cut too formal?

In the second picture I got a bit silly and decided to wear a blazer with t-shirt and jeans, which is something I'd never usually do (in public) but I kind of like the matching of fabrics and colours I've put together here. Can't think of anywhere I might go where this sort of look might be appropriate though.
Any ideas welcome

(And yes I realise the jacket sleeves are much much too long, will get them sorted out if I decide to keep it).

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200724_143701~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20200724_143701~2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 38
  • MVIMG_20200724_144758~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20200724_144758~2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 104

Res

Reaction score
What size is this? Chest looks ok.. but I think you can get away with sizing one down. A good way to tell is if you put your hand against your stomach in between the first (with your thumb around the first button) and second button and thrust outwards, about an inch says you have a good fit.

No chinos/jeans/t-shirt, due to the fabric. It looks to elegant. A nice pair of trousers (not matching in color) with a button down or sweater will go quite nicely with the jacket. You might even be able to pull it off with a polo.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
What size is this? Chest looks ok.. but I think you can get away with sizing one down. A good way to tell is if you put your hand against your stomach in between the first (with your thumb around the first button) and second button and thrust outwards, about an inch says you have a good fit.

No chinos/jeans/t-shirt, due to the fabric. It looks to elegant. A nice pair of trousers (not matching in color) with a button down or sweater will go quite nicely with the jacket. You might even be able to pull it off with a polo.
This is 40r in UK sizes - I very much doubt I can get away with one size down.
I have grey wool trousers, and think that they are about the only things I own that really work.
much as I love the texture of this one it may have to go back, as it doesn't seem versatile.
On the other hand I paid absolute peanuts for it on sale, so maybe I will just keep it in my closet to admire and hopefully work out what to do with later.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
So here it is again, with grey wool trousers which I probably think is the most "classic" suggestion for pairing with a jacket like this.
I also put on a more winter-weight shirt.
But is even the shirt erring a bit on casual side, with its check pattern that looks (to my eye) a little bit country?
Am I basically restricted to "dress shirts" ?
Does the herringbone pattern and patch pockets on this jacket make it more acceptable to be paired with more casual items?
Or does it make it some ghastly unlovable hybrid of casual/formal that will never find it's true home?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200725_105924~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20200725_105924~2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 98

altavista

Reaction score
This jacket makes you look larger... Which probably isn't desirable in your case. Seeing profile photo would help.

P.S. Consider shorter cut and darker shade of gray.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
This jacket makes you look larger... Which probably isn't desirable in your case. Seeing profile photo would help.

P.S. Consider shorter cut and darker shade of gray.

Shorter cut jacket?
Yes, I think I established in another thread that I have an unusual body shape, in that 38 is definitely too tight around my chest, but 40 is too billowy/potatoesque around my stomach.
Basically find it very hard to get jackets that flatter me aesthetically in that stylish way everyone on this forum is trying to achieve.

Is this something that alterations could fix? Or going slim-fit?

altavista

Reaction score
Basically find it very hard to get jackets that flatter me aesthetically in that stylish way everyone on this forum is trying to achieve.

Is this something that alterations could fix? Or going slim-fit?

What are your measurements?
  1. Shoulders straight
  2. Shoulders curved
  3. Chest
  4. Stomach
  5. Waist
  6. Sleeve / arm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads