• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Were You Wearing 10 Years Ago? WAYWRN-X

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cuz Cypress Hill is actually great...

To me either Rakim or Biggie earn the top spot but I won't be mad if anyone has the following over them

Nas
Jay
KRS

Plus Ed Kool Keith, Kool G Rap and BDk had good to great albums... **** BDK could be considered top 5. (Yes I know he had some terrible albums but his great stuff is up there)

yeah, I don't hate Nas, Biggie or Jay and I think they all have some great stuff but I guess I'm an old foggie in that I think there was better "music" being made in hip hop in the 80's, the good beats were accompanied by good story telling (and some larger than life personas) whereas now, its mostly about beats, a few decent rappers and label created personas.

BDK was a monster. I didn't mean those guys did not make good to great albums, I meant that even on bad stuff I could listen to them. Man, forgot Gangstarr.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cuz Cypress Hill is actually great...

To me either Rakim or Biggie earn the top spot but I won't be mad if anyone has the following over them

Nas
Jay
KRS

Plus Ed Kool Keith, Kool G Rap and BDk had good to great albums... **** BDK could be considered top 5. (Yes I know he had some terrible albums but his great stuff is up there)

yeah, I don't hate Nas, Biggie or Jay and I think they all have some great stuff but I guess I'm an old foggie in that I think there was better "music" being made in hip hop in the 80's, the good beats were accompanied by good story telling (and some larger than life personas) whereas now, its mostly about beats, a few decent rappers and label created personas.

BDK was a monster. I didn't mean those guys did not make good to great albums, I meant that even on bad stuff I could listen to them. Man, forgot Gangstarr.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dunno if I agree. There are some great Hip-Hop artists today with the criteria you mentioned...
MF Doom
The whole Black Hippy Crew
Big K.R.I.T.
Shabazz Palaces
Action Bronson
Roc Marciano
Pusha T
Danny Brown
sooo many of them...

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Action Bronson is a current favorite of mine. Though everyone you listed is solid.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

so you were Spoo 15 years ago :confused:

:laugh:

--
led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelinled zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelinled zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin

:slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: LED ZEPPELIN :slayer: :slayer: :happy: :slayer:

led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelinled zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelinled zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin led zeppelin​

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

best band evar, stitch.
and fool in the rain=best drum track evar.

:slayer:

i also LOVE the drum piece at the end of misty mountain hop.

when the levee beaks - best song intro of all time. want that to play super loud every time i walk into a room. :nodding:

and the riff in for the second half of out on the tiles might be my favorite riff all time.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never understood hip hop's canonization of Biggie. Was he good, yes, particularly if you compare him to his current peers. But people act like, not only was he the best, but he broke some crazy ground in hip hop that no one had ever done or has done since his death. I am not the biggest NAS fan although I do think he is more innovative than Biggie and I put him and Jay Z above Biggie. I don't know who the "best" rapper is, depending on what you are looking for that could mean a million different things. I will tell you who I would prefer to listen to other than biggie (assume I mean the best album put out by each) : A Tribe called Quest, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, De La Soul, Slick Rick, Boogie Down Productions, RUN DMC (how can people forget about them :confused:), EPMD. Then there are the guys that I just love listening them rap, even if the song/album might not be that good, guys like Kool G Rap, Kool Keith (ultramagnetic MC's), Big Daddy Kane. Yeah I'm old, get off my lawn :slapfight:

hank williams.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno if I agree. There are some great Hip-Hop artists today with the criteria you mentioned...
MF Doom
Big K.R.I.T.
Shabazz Palaces
Action Bronson
Roc Marciano
Pusha T
Danny Brown
sooo many of them...

Action Bronson is a current favorite of mine. Though everyone you listed is solid.

MF Doom
Big K.R.I.T.
Shabazz Palaces
Action Bronson
Roc Marciano
Pusha T
Danny Brown
sooo many of them...
add Joey Bad Ass and Kendrick Lamar to that list of new artists.. also I would add Jay Electronica as well...but I digress.. the reason why Biggie is regarded as the best of his peers from that era is because he brought a whole coast back.. his lyrical skills and charisma was unmatched in an era where West Coast rap had taken over..Nas had illmatic out before ready to die and even though it was considered a classic now it did not garner the traction that was needed to seriously challenge the west coast empire that was ruling back then.. plus Nas was not consistent..Illmatic was a dope album..but it was written was okay and the firm was ehhh..Biggie released a classic in ready to die and had a lot of dope features for other artists back then. Biggie's versatile flow was really unmatched.. he could go from the street corner, to story teller to back pack street battler.. no other rapper back then could really do it effectively in a legitimate way. Nas was a beautiful story teller in the mode of slick rick..Illmatic proved that... Jay was a great street corner guy a la Kool G Rap.. but Big's could do that and battle you like a KRS-One...and he had more charisma than any of those rappers at that time.. thats why many view him as the best rapper of the best era of hip hop..IMO anyways

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I just felt bad for interrupting the music conversation.

hahahahahahahaha!!

i will say that the car was ******* awesome. I couldnt imagine owning something like that when i was young. Well done!

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
add Joey Bad Ass and Kendrick Lamar to that list of new artists.. also I would add Jay Electronica as well...but I digress.. the reason why Biggie is regarded as the best of his peers from that era is because he brought a whole coast back.. his lyrical skills and charisma was unmatched in an era where West Coast rap had taken over..Nas had illmatic out before ready to die and even though it was considered a classic now it did not garner the traction that was needed to seriously challenge the west coast empire that was ruling back then.. plus Nas was not consistent..Illmatic was a dope album..but it was written was okay and the firm was ehhh..Biggie released a classic in ready to die and had a lot of dope features for other artists back then. Biggie's versatile flow was really unmatched.. he could go from the street corner, to story teller to back pack street battler.. no other rapper back then could really do it effectively in a legitimate way. Nas was a beautiful story teller in the mode of slick rick..Illmatic proved that... Jay was a great street corner guy a la Kool G Rap.. but Big's could do that and battle you like a KRS-One...and he had more charisma than any of those rappers at that time.. thats why many view him as the best rapper of the best era of hip hop..IMO anyways

1. It Was Written is a classic
2. Nas actually was the one who brought the East back ( I mean he got 5 mics from the source... something that his peers had not achieved at the time)... but Biggie took all the credit. That is what Platinum sales will do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics