• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Were You Wearing 10 Years Ago? WAYWRN-X

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
4,669
Reaction score
11,098
I'll start:



I was heavily influenced by my first visit to Italy, where everyone seemed to be wearing a 3-button suit and a loosely-knotted half-windsor. No sight of a dimple anywhere. I tied my ties like that for +/- 5 years.

I also had longer hair, wore my jackets about a size too big, and had no concept of jacket sleeve length.
 

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,121
Reaction score
288
Oh, my....10 years ago, eh?

Here is what I looked like 10 years ago. This was "only" 210 or so.




In terms of style, I wore what was comfortable..which was big stuff.


Mike
 

landshark

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
53
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Oh, my....10 years ago, eh?

Here is what I looked like 10 years ago. This was "only" 210 or so.




In terms of style, I wore what was comfortable..which was big stuff.


Mike



Is that jacket RL?
 

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,121
Reaction score
288
Originally Posted by landshark
Is that jacket RL?


No, but the gun is vintage.


Mike
 

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
4,669
Reaction score
11,098
RL does have a similar jacket:



But I would say your brown one gives a more pleasant contrast to the more olive jumpsuit.
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,251
Reaction score
5,358
Ferragamo Brown and black shoes, tie oxfords with a split toe, Prada slip ons
Zinnella pants -grey, green, navy, khaki
Cotton Khakis
LVC 501 1955
Zegna suits and SCs -black suit, navy suit, navy jackets, tweed jacket in green
Borrelli Shirts and Zegna Shirts
Black Cashmere overcoat kinda doop shoulder a la Armani.
Black leather jacket, zip front hip length
 

JG000

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
416
Reaction score
5
I have a feeling this thread will be delightfully painful...
 

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
6,552
Reaction score
113
Oof...I was 16.

Probably involved dickies shorts and a Hurley/Quiksilver/Volcom t-shirt. I probably wore pooka shells, too.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
I wore lots of Prada and a lot of black clothing.
 

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
9,995
Reaction score
5,551
Originally Posted by JayJay
I wore lots of Prada and a lot of black clothing.

really? that honestly SHOCKS me...
 

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
4,669
Reaction score
11,098
Originally Posted by embowafa
Oof...I was 16.

Probably involved dickies shorts and a Hurley/Quiksilver/Volcom t-shirt. I probably wore pooka shells, too.

Dickies shorts, or did you take a pair of scissors to your pants? When I was 16 I was into Fresh Jive & Fuct. There used to be a store in downtown San Diego called Behind the Post Office that would carry all that. Now it's up in San Francisco & the original owners sold it, but it still carries some cool stuff.
 

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
9,995
Reaction score
5,551
Lots of Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole bowling shoes mixed in with some Urban Outfitters and BangBang stuff...
 

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
9,995
Reaction score
5,551
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Dickies shorts, or did you take a pair of scissors to your pants? I was into Fresh Jive & Fuct. There used to be a store in downtown San Diego called Behind the Post Office that would carry all that. Now it's up in San Francisco & the original owners sold it, but it still carries some cool stuff.
When I was 16 I was always in jeans, a Smiths tee from St Marks Pl (I had like 10 of em) and my cherry red 10 hole Doc Martens. I also used to have this JCrew barn coat with a hood and flannel lining that I thought was hot shit. I'd occasionally swap out the 10 hole boots for a pair of black steel toe Doc Bluchers. Very Emo, and very into The Smiths and Morrissey, with an occasional sprinkle of Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Carter USM. Will try and dig up an old pic...
 

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
4,669
Reaction score
11,098
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
When I was 16 I was always in jeans, a Smiths tee from St Marks Pl (I had like 10 of em) and my cherry red 10 hole Doc Martens. I also used to have this JCrew barn coat with a hood and flannel lining that I thought was hot shit. I'd occasionally swap out the 10 hole boots for a pair of black steel toe Doc Bluchers. Very Emo, and very into The Smiths and Morrissey, with an occasional sprinkle of Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Carter USM. Will try and dig up an old pic...

Pictures or it didn't happen. I'll give you until Saturday Night...
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 13 14.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 28 31.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 21 23.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 8 8.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 6 6.7%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,302
Messages
9,196,473
Members
193,140
Latest member
G2S2L

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top