• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What watch do you wear?

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I'm a big fan of Rolex but even I don't particularly care for the dssd. I thought the writing on the inner bezel is kind of cheesy looking in the stock pictures but in real life it's actually not too bad. But as much as I like big watches, it's just too big for a Rolex. I don't like the new Yachtmaster either. Of course the white gold blue dial Submariner would look good on my wrist.
i really wouldnt get a watch like that, lovely as it may look. i know most people believe the submariner to be dressy yet casual, sadly i only see the casual side to it. i would never wear a white gold as casual, probably be too paranoid about banging it or scratching it to leave the house also, how are you not starting to lose respect with rolex. some of their more recent releases are so, overdone, yes this includes the dssd, but im just attracted to it

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centrix
i really wouldnt get a watch like that, lovely as it may look. i know most people believe the submariner to be dressy yet casual, sadly i only see the casual side to it. i would never wear a white gold as casual, probably be too paranoid about banging it or scratching it to leave the house

also, how are you not starting to lose respect with rolex. some of their more recent releases are so, overdone, yes this includes the dssd, but im just attracted to it

My hope is that they're just going through their awkward teenage years, trying to fit in, lol. Don't forget, as far as watch makers go, they're relatively young. I've certainly questioned some of their recent decisions, but that didn't stop me from buying one recently. Then again, I got one that has gone unchanged for about 30 years (Exp. II).

They're still as solid and high quality as ever, but they've had some issues stylistically in the last five years. Hopefully a ceramic Sub is just a myth, and both Explorer lines will stay as-is for the foreseeable future.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The ceramic sub is definitely a go for them. It'll be the next must have for them. Remember, the Ceramic Sub in blue and yg already came out and many people are just waiting for the ss that is supposed to release early next year. The new DateJust just started appearing in ADs as well.

Now me, I only like 3 models from Rolex, the Explorer I, GMT Master IIC and the Daytona. I am all for ceramic, I don't mind and I am all for increasing the size but not by much. I mean I would love to have an Explorer I but the 36mm is too small, even for my tiny wrist. If they made it 38mm or 39mm, it would be perfect and would own one by now. The GMT IIC and Daytona, they are just the right size. Even though they are in the 40mm realm, they wear smaller because of the bezel and not to mention they are just beautiful.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
The ceramic sub is definitely a go for them. It'll be the next must have for them. Remember, the Ceramic Sub in blue and yg already came out and many people are just waiting for the ss that is supposed to release early next year. The new DateJust just started appearing in ADs as well.

Now me, I only like 3 models from Rolex, the Explorer I, GMT Master IIC and the Daytona. I am all for ceramic, I don't mind and I am all for increasing the size but not by much. I mean I would love to have an Explorer I but the 36mm is too small, even for my tiny wrist. If they made it 38mm or 39mm, it would be perfect and would own one by now. The GMT IIC and Daytona, they are just the right size. Even though they are in the 40mm realm, they wear smaller because of the bezel and not to mention they are just beautiful.

Well, as long as the new Sub doesn't have PCL... And I tried on the DJ II, wayyyyy too big for a non-sports watch. 41mm is my limit for a sports watch, 37/8 for a dress watch. The high shine of the GMTIIc makes it very hard for me to warm up to, plus the odd decision to use green instead of red for the 24 hour hand and writing. I do think the yellow gold version with a green dial/bezel would be a good replacement for the old root beer version.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The GMT IIC is the only watch from Rolex that was a love at first sight.
I really do not care much for Rolex and then I was walking by Ben Bridge and it was on display, saw the GMT IIC on the side of my eye and that was it. Just fell in love with it.
I can't say that with many watches out there. The green was a bit awkward at first but it really does work for me. Red was too common and the green set it off just right, I don't know why.
I'm just waiting for all the hype to come down so I can scope it up with a decent discount, maybe when everyone is focused on the SubC I'll be able to snatch one up.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had just sold my explorer 1, finding it a bit too small, and didnt want to be another 'guy with a sub'. I was thinking about an aqua terra but then bought a used speedy pro at a really good price. i wasnt sure at first, now i find i have really taken to it. there's a lovely vintage-y feel of functional elegance to the design, it certainly doesnt have what are for me the negative connotations of a rolex.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Speedy still doesn't have a sapphire crystal right? It's still that plastic glass right?

Every time I see a pic of the SpeedMaster the dial looks so dull and boring. I really think Omega will benefit from having a sapphire crystal with double AR coating.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can get the 'sapphire sandwich' with display back. personally i really like the hesalite. some people have said it adds to the vintage feel. the white gold facets of modern rolex dials are done well but look a bit shiny and slightly tacky to me. I was thinking of buying a vintage explorer 1016 or 5513 sub with tritium but like i say i think the speedy is a real favourite at present.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GMT IIC is the only watch from Rolex that was a love at first sight.
I really do not care much for Rolex and then I was walking by Ben Bridge and it was on display, saw the GMT IIC on the side of my eye and that was it. Just fell in love with it.
I can't say that with many watches out there. The green was a bit awkward at first but it really does work for me. Red was too common and the green set it off just right, I don't know why.
I'm just waiting for all the hype to come down so I can scope it up with a decent discount, maybe when everyone is focused on the SubC I'll be able to snatch one up.

Do you ever read www.rolexforums.com? Something tells me someone there can direct you to discounted GMT IIc models, whether from an AD or a grey dealer.

centrix

Reaction score
100000000000000000000000000000 people in singapore who own rolexes have the sub lv, i am thoroughly sick and tired of green rolex

the omega aqua terra is awesome

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today:
2rfx10.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome Zippy, even though I already ahve the black dial 3714 I still want that or the one with blue numerals.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by markdc
I have this. Solid watch, although I would not pay even $300 for this. Not because it's not a good watch, but rather because you can likely get it for much less. I got mine over 3 years ago for a tad less than $200. Also, keep in mind that it is quartz, not automatic.

You wouldn't happen to know of any places where the prices did that low, would you? Slightly less than $200 works for me.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome Zippy, even though I already ahve the black dial 3714 I still want that or the one with blue numerals.

Yeah if the one with blue numerals had been available back when I bought mine, that would have been a tough decision to make. I think I've had mine 10 years as of this month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads