• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your final college GPA?

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Real ballers would never graduate with such a high GPA. Implies you need to impress someone and that you lack the connections necessary for success. Gentleman's C for the win!

teacha.gif

Originally Posted by edmorel
actually a 3.85 and partying all the time on the dime of the internet company I founded out of my dormroom.

frown.gif

I am clearly a small timer

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually a 3.85 and partying all the time on the dime of the internet company I founded out of my dormroom.
3.85 would be impressive only if you were white.
fing02[1].gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whatever Appreciation site you ran, it must've been good. Is it still up?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets just say that my GPA was good enough to get into law school. AKA, I got somewhere between a 2.0 and 4.0.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heard from my friend that employers are intimidated by gpas that are too high. one of her interview questions:

"did you ever take classes that werent challenging to you so you could boost your gpa?"

kinda sad

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Had a 2.7, but worked full-time. Had a 2.7 in law school (which was actually average, our curve was ridiculous) and a 3.4 in MBA. Never really though grades were too important. Good enough to get by was always my goal.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
heard from my friend that employers are intimidated by gpas that are too high. one of her interview questions:

"did you ever take classes that werent challenging to you so you could boost your gpa?"

kinda sad

Which firm would ask question like this, I interviewed with over 20 companies, and certainly never heard anyone ask me that (engineering/consulting/finance).

I fits the sterotype pretty well, Asian, international student, high school math team at a new england area boarding school, double engineering major plus minor in economics undergraduate. Graduated with 4.0GPA, 2 suma cuma laude (1 in each major), phd in ee at Ivy legaue, following the plan... right until I decide to quit at MS and go get a job on wall street.

If you ask me is that worth it? I would say college certainly could have been more fun, but I always enjoyed learning, so not like I was suffering. Did 4.0 gpa open some door that I could not accomplish with 3.8? I doubt that, probably only good for my own ego, and enjoyed my status as curve breaker...

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
economics consulting firms

phd in ee at an ivy is nothing to brag about lol. if you add the "ivy" people think less of you in EE circles, so its better to just say phd in ee. my local state school (UT austin) has a better engineering program than the best ivy (cornell).

Originally Posted by clee1982
Which firm would ask question like this, I interviewed with over 20 companies, and certainly never heard anyone ask me that (engineering/consulting/finance).

I fits the sterotype pretty well, Asian, international student, high school math team at a new england area boarding school, double engineering major plus minor in economics undergraduate. Graduated with 4.0GPA, 2 suma cuma laude (1 in each major), phd in ee at Ivy legaue, following the plan... right until I decide to quit at MS and go get a job on wall street.

If you ask me is that worth it? I would say college certainly could have been more fun, but I always enjoyed learning, so not like I was suffering. Did 4.0 gpa open some door that I could not accomplish with 3.8? I doubt that, probably only good for my own ego, and enjoyed my status as curve breaker...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
economics consulting firms

phd in ee at an ivy is nothing to brag about lol. if you add the "ivy" people think less of you in EE circles, so its better to just say phd in ee. my local state school (UT austin) has a better engineering program than the best ivy (cornell).

well, my choice was standford(ee)/mit(me)/cornell(ee), went for cornell in the end, didn't apply for austin, and personally think at least for the advisor and area I was working for, cornell is a better choice (statistical signal processing/communication). My top choice would have been either berkley or caltech, but didn't get into either
tongue.gif

At phd level, advisor matters more, once you're on the top school list, unless you're going to academia, than school name does play a part in it again...

P.S. I DIDN'T get a phd just in case you didn't read the whole thing... I think I brag about my drop out status more now a day...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
phd in ee at an ivy is nothing to brag about lol

the best ivy (cornell).

rotflmao.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These two things seem contradictory. Do you mean that employers are wary of high GPAs, or that they somehow don't trust how good a measure it is (due to potential sand-bagging in "easy" classes)? That I can believe.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics