• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What wallet do you use?

nstarleather

Reaction score
Thanks for replying!

Few things for me to say.

1) first of all I know nothing about wallets and leather and the quality in terms of manufacturing and so on
2) From a customer's perspective I have to say the pictures of your products are bad. Too few and the quality is meh. Even if your products would be the same or better quality than the one I linked i would still be inclined to shop somewhere else
3) I am sad you do not make belts or do you ? :)
4) I would have to be able to ship your stuff to Europe and the low price of your product is actually a bad thing for me because the costs of shipping would be almost half the price of one wallet. So you know...hard to justify for me.
1) I'm dying to get to do some videos of our process and talk a little bit about leather and what we do here, just takes time.
We've been in business since 1969 and guarantee everything for life, and unlike newer companies starting up that offer similar guarantees, we stand a much better chance of being around to honor ours...

As far as the leathers I use, the Horween leather speaks for itself, world famous for quality. The "standard" wallet leathers are high quality full grain and come from the same tannery as Saddleback uses (though I'm not going to put it that way on the website), they hold up after years and years of use.
A lot of those leathers I mentioned are "premium leathers that I'd love to use that I don't offer as "stock" because of limited quantities of it.

2) Working on the pictures. We do everything in house, so some "important thing"s (like pictures) get replaced by the"urgent things" (like making and shipping orders).
Trying to do more "real backgrounds" like this:
http://www.nstarleather.com/optimizer/product/116-Horween.html
Look better to you?
Actually most of our business is wholesale and white label, so we're still working out the kinks in the retail site.

3) Belts are kind of a different animal and yes I "can" do belts (wearing one I made right now) but we make over 150 other items it's already hard to keep focus. I'm modest enough to admit that there are folks out there who do belts better at the moment. If I ever do offer belts, I'll take the time to do it right.

4)Yeah I know, we're cheap...trying to change that ;-) That's one thing that's in my best interest, though I think keeping pricing somewhat reasonable let's "normal folk" get a nice product real leather product made in USA from real leather.
Frankly the folks who charge over $100 for a wallet are making a killing. My bifold wallet #148 uses about a foot of leather- even very "expensive leather" isn't more than $10 or so per foot (unless you're talking exotics like croc or alligator.)
If you're concerned that the shipping is half the price of the wallet, buy 2 and give one to a friend.

globalroamer

Reaction score
1) I'm dying to get to do some videos of our process and talk a little bit about leather and what we do here, just takes time.
We've been in business since 1969 and guarantee everything for life, and unlike newer companies starting up that offer similar guarantees, we stand a much better chance of being around to honor ours...

As far as the leathers I use, the Horween leather speaks for itself, world famous for quality. The "standard" wallet leathers are high quality full grain and come from the same tannery as Saddleback uses (though I'm not going to put it that way on the website), they hold up after years and years of use.
A lot of those leathers I mentioned are "premium leathers that I'd love to use that I don't offer as "stock" because of limited quantities of it.

2) Working on the pictures. We do everything in house, so some "important thing"s (like pictures) get replaced by the"urgent things" (like making and shipping orders).
Trying to do more "real backgrounds" like this:
http://www.nstarleather.com/optimizer/product/116-Horween.html
Look better to you?
Actually most of our business is wholesale and white label, so we're still working out the kinks in the retail site.

3) Belts are kind of a different animal and yes I "can" do belts (wearing one I made right now) but we make over 150 other items it's already hard to keep focus. I'm modest enough to admit that there are folks out there who do belts better at the moment. If I ever do offer belts, I'll take the time to do it right.

4)Yeah I know, we're cheap...trying to change that ;-) That's one thing that's in my best interest, though I think keeping pricing somewhat reasonable let's "normal folk" get a nice product real leather product made in USA from real leather.
Frankly the folks who charge over $100 for a wallet are making a killing. My bifold wallet #148 uses about a foot of leather- even very "expensive leather" isn't more than $10 or so per foot (unless you're talking exotics like croc or alligator.)
If you're concerned that the shipping is half the price of the wallet, buy 2 and give one to a friend.

1) Please do so. Well I do not see into your business model and how you make a money and I really do not want to give useless advises. But the form and presentation really sells because otherwise I have no way of telling if your stuff is good or bad. I can read thousands of reviews that contradict themselves. Also there are people that buy stuff because of brand and where it is made in.

I do not. I do not buy the brand nor do I care where it is made in ( Actually I do a little as I want to support US more than these EU commies I hate so much but that's a different story)

2) The pics and the whole presentation of hardgraft is superb even when the site loads slow i stayed on the page for a while and browsed through their products. This imho really really sells. Yours is mediocre..worse than than.
But the pic you have linked is quiet good :)

3) I try my best here :-D...would not you consider making 2 belts for me ?

4) I am sure they make a killing. Also I am not sure how much you loose when it comes to logistics (I know the customer pays for the shipping but still...). Have you considered making a personalized items ? Some experiments ? I know it's a bit harder and maybe time consuming...but who knows. And I would certainly pay extra ;-)

nstarleather

Reaction score
1) Totally in the works. I realize that this is a huge part of selling. You're right that brand and where it's made in many cases does not matter, aside from the obvious fact that if it comes from the developing world and it's really cheap, then it's probably junk. Otherwise, you can find skilled craftsmen everywhere.

2)They do have a really flashy and nice site, part of why they have to charge so much for a wallet. I see the value in some more stylized pictures, though as someone who makes these things it's hard to tell exactly how some of the products actually look.

3) I just don't have the tools and setup to do a nice burnished edge belt in English Bridle or other great leather...the only belt design I have ready to roll is kinda unique (a project we started and never followed through with marketing. It is a design on based on my 5-strand mystery braid. Unlike every other braided belt you see this one will last almost forever because it's a solid piece of English Bridle leather. Shoot me a PM with your email and I can send you some pictures of the belt and a couple buckle options.

4) Overseas orders have never been cheap, and our postal system keeps raising their international rate, even to Canada.
I can do some personalization, like I said we can do some different leathers and combos, what do you have in mind? We're happy to do different materials add a pocket or change up the layout, but since most things are cut with cutting dies, it's hard to change the size of something or add completely new things to a design.

Last edited:

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Pardon my deviation from the generalized slander of 3rd world craftsmen; I just wanted to share a couple of pictures :)

I made this.

I carry one like it sometimes. Lately I've been carrying something smaller for cards and a bit of cash - usually slim it down a little bit for summer.

JakeVW

Reaction score
Beautiful wallet Pierpont Leather! I can't believe you made that, it looks perfect!

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

globalroamer

Reaction score
Pardon my deviation from the generalized slander of 3rd world craftsmen; I just wanted to share a couple of pictures :)

I made this.

I carry one like it sometimes. Lately I've been carrying something smaller for cards and a bit of cash - usually slim it down a little bit for summer.

I like the pictures. Again I do not like the need to put the brand logo on the wallet.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Beautiful wallet Pierpont Leather! I can't believe you made that, it looks perfect!

Thank you Jake, nice of you to say!
I like the pictures. Again I do not like the need to put the brand logo on the wallet.

Thank you!

There's no real need to. Many clients like it.

I do custom work, so it can be moved to the inside of the cash pocket, or removed completely without issue.

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
I've become quite a fan of Secrid wallets. It's too bad the leather is rather obviously mediocre. If someone were to up the ante with premium leather, I would so be in for that.

bapcha

Reaction score
My dad's Ashland Leather Johnny the Fox "Torrio" in 100% shell (my gift to him). Color 8 outside and reverse 8 interior. Looks better than my Tony the Ant in 100% color-8 shell

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
I've become quite a fan of Secrid wallets. It's too bad the leather is rather obviously mediocre. If someone were to up the ante with premium leather, I would so be in for that.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the anodized aluminum piece? Is it a security feature?

hayzum

Reaction score

Ghurka, VLM and Bottega

Ostrich, Ostrich leg, Croc, Gator, Python and Seal.

ambyance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend me a black zip bifold wallet with silver zippers with coin pouch that isn't comically huge like rick's?

trying to find toj large wallet alt but it's harder than ive imagined

interior leather color preferably black

minimal branding

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads