1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Jun 2, 2014.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG]

Brilliant Danish political drama inline with other great political dramas like House of Cards (Netflix version) and First Among Equals (BBC).

Acting is superb and everything unfolds beautifully. Nice to see another democracy with its own idiosyncracies at work.

Unlike The Bridge, where the script was far less wordy, the Danish subtitles in Borgen will keep you on your toes. But the Danish is the only way to go.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

^ I'll check out that. Really enjoyed the American and UK House of Cards.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Anyone catch Vinyl's premier?

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Gonna watch it today.

5. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Started off slow ,I didn't think I would like it then it seemed to come together and really took off. Im looking forward to the next show.Great job with the music but we're talkin'm-m-m-my generation . Keep an eye out for all the synchronicity or "synergy" as Buck called it. Very much an undercurrent of the era.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Maybe tomorrow. Actually started watching The Sopranos yesterday (I haven't watched a single episode until then :embar::embar::embar:). It's soo good. Can't stop now. ;)

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Don't click unless you watched:

Who thinks the last scene was literal and not symbolic or a symbolic hallucination? I tend to think it was not a real event but will have to wait until next week to find out.

Also, really hate a pilot that starts with the main character being party to a murder unless it just goes away. IMO, stupid to play a card that might overshadow the entire series.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Thought the same but the last scene was a real event with some artistic license.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Really? Cool to know and thanks for sharing that.

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm starved for a good show. Can I find this on Netflix or Amazon prime? That reminds me to get back to Mad Dogs.

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Can't really call it streaming since it's not on Netflix yet and I don't have access to the shows on BBC's on service, but i've been rewatching the latest season of Dr Who. Phenomenal stuff. I've said this in the Dr Who thread, but I honestly thought Sleep No More was the only weak episode. Otherwise it was the best season of NuWho and Heaven Sent was arguably its greatest episode.

13. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

For someone who never watched Dr. Who, how much work is required to get up to speed on the Whoverse? Are we talking 40+ hours of viewing, or is it something I could knock out in a weekend?

14. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

Weekend? Definitely not. This is a series that started in the days of black-and-white television, if not radio.

I'm not a Whovian, but when I was looking for a jump-in spot, people recommended starting with the Christopher Eccleston season.

That was years ago, mind, and I don't keep up with the series at all - so opinions have likely changed.

15. Jr Mouse

I wouldn't recommend starting with Christopher Eccleston. While he was the first In modern Who and a decent Doctor, his season starts out rough. The first episode is not very good and had fairly bad production values. It's gets better later on, but his runs tarts out rocky enough that I would save him for later.

David Tennents run was much better, but has the issue of feeling like a direct continuation from Eccleston. He was a fantastic Doctor, but I hesitate to recommend starting with him due to this fact.

I usually point people to the 11th Doctor. Matt Smith. His run started out fresh and didn't carry a lot of baggage with it. The production values took a fairly big jump too. Most of my friends who are now Whovians followed this advice and finished the prior two Doctors after finishing Smith's run said my advice was spot on.

Once this is done then feel free to jump into latest Doctor. The 12th.

All and all this is a touchy subject for fans. I'm sure someone will chime in and say I'm crazy, but I feel strongly this is the way to go.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I decided to jump into Dr. Who a few years ago and started with Christopher Eccleston. I saw the first episode and it really is some of the worst television I've ever seen. I posted something about it here and others agreed. I guess I'll give it a go with a different Doctor sooner or later.

2 people like this.
  17. johnnilcru

johnnilcru Member

1 person likes this.
  18. Jr Mouse

This proves my point. To add to this, I had recommended the show to two good friends of mine. Told them both to start with Matt Smiths run, but due to confusion, not really understanding the structure of the show and how Netflix lists the episodes they both started ended up watching Christopher Eccleston's first episode. Afterward they both told me I was nuts and couldn't believe I recommended it to them. Thought the episode was garbage and saw no reason to continue. Upon clarifying the mistake they made and pointing them in the right direction, I convinced them it give Dr Who one more chance. They watched Matt Smith's first and got hooked. Big fans of the show now and eventually went back and watched Eccleston's season going in with a better understanding of the show as a whole, it's legacy and what they were getting.

So yes, do not start with Eccleston. It will only lead to tears. Tennent if you absolutely must, but really Matt Smith is the way to go. Perfect jumping on point for new fans.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

We're a few eps into Between. Sort of Lord of the Flies updated for TV.