• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for MBA interview?

leebert

Reaction score
While I had a good chuckle at the Brioni/Oxxford comment, it's really overkill to spend too many cycles thinking about what you're wearing to get into B-school.

Why?

Well, the key thing you're attempting to accomplish is to stand out as an interesting personal story-line that would add to the incoming class' strengths; having been on both sides of the admission interview process, I can't recall there ever being a comment about one's satorial savvy as a case for admission. Instead, there needs to be something unique about your background and career interests that make you compelling. Or, put another way, I intereviewed in a button-down oxford, jeans, and some really natty tennis shoes and got into each of the schools the original poster listed.

Even when you start to interview for your summer internship and full-time job, the only satorial advice I'd offer is get something dark and that fits you well. Period. The impression - on me at lease - will be made that you're not the label hunting type and therefore there's a chance you'll have something interesting to say during our case interview. At this stage of the game, clothing does not make the man and simply is not a formal part of the evaluation criteria.

Later on, when you have a little bank, you can play in the space that the Brioni/Oxxford poster offers. Very few will notice what you're into at that time, but if it brings you happiness - by all means indulge. And hopefully by then you'll appreciate the value of a full custom suit
teacha.gif

Bon courage!

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leebert
While I had a good chuckle at the Brioni/Oxxford comment, it's really overkill to spend too many cycles thinking about what you're wearing to get into B-school.

Why?

Well, the key thing you're attempting to accomplish is to stand out as an interesting personal story-line that would add to the incoming class' strengths; having been on both sides of the admission interview process, I can't recall there ever being a comment about one's satorial savvy as a case for admission. Instead, there needs to be something unique about your background and career interests that make you compelling. Or, put another way, I intereviewed in a button-down oxford, jeans, and some really natty tennis shoes and got into each of the schools the original poster listed.

Even when you start to interview for your summer internship and full-time job, the only satorial advice I'd offer is get something dark and that fits you well. Period. The impression - on me at lease - will be made that you're not the label hunting type and therefore there's a chance you'll have something interesting to say during our case interview. At this stage of the game, clothing does not make the man and simply is not a formal part of the evaluation criteria.

Later on, when you have a little bank, you can play in the space that the Brioni/Oxxford poster offers. Very few will notice what you're into at that time, but if it brings you happiness - by all means indulge. And hopefully by then you'll appreciate the value of a full custom suit
teacha.gif

Bon courage!

I am quite surprised that you interviewed in jeans and tennis shoes. When I interviewed for Wharton and INSEAD late last year - everyone was in dark suits. In any case, I think the general advice of dark shades, non-flashy ties and black/brown shoes is sound.

I now look forward to figuring out how to carry everything I may possibly need to the french countryside in 2 suitcases??

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sm332
In any case, I think the general advice of dark shades, non-flashy ties and black/brown shoes is sound.

This. A suit isn't a requirement and it won't help you get in, but it doesn't hurt to wear one. And no, it doesn't have to be Isaia, Oxxford, etc.; and, no, most business faculty do not dress in those brands either, or even wear suits regularly for that matter.

leebert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sm332
I now look forward to figuring out how to carry everything I may possibly need to the french countryside in 2 suitcases??

Congrats on getting into INSEAD - it's a great school and you will have an outstanding time.

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leebert
Congrats on getting into INSEAD - it's a great school and you will have an outstanding time.

thanks mate, I am really looking forward to it. It should be a whirlwind 10 months.

Rufus

Reaction score
The only reason to under-dress for n interview is if you are trying to get in as a "non-traditional" candidate. Ie you dont have the grades/test scores but you are trying to play up other more unique factors that fit with your casual dress. That or if someone from your family donated a building so it dosent matter.

Outside of that stick with a modest, brooks brothers-type blue suit, a white or blue shirt, conservative tie and dress shoes.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NECROPOST!

I have a bschool interview tomorrow with a local alumnus at a caribou coffee. All my other interviews have been at the schools and have suggested business formal - charcoal suit for me.

What do I wear on a saturday morning at caribou coffee? Do I wear a suit and tie and risk being overdressed, or do I go biz casual and wear slacks, dress shirt and sport coat - no tie?

I'm getting mixed advice from everyone I talk to, so I thought I would pop on here and see what you guys think.

If it means anything, it's in DC and he's in consulting.

Thanks - I'll be checking tomorrow morning before getting dressed, so post your thoughts!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wear a suit, but make it your most boring one.

You don't want to get noticed, so save the self-stripe midnight blue suit, French cuffs, and Charvet tie for another day.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Wear a suit, but make it your most boring one.

Save the self-stripe midnight blue suit, French cuffs, and Charvet tie for another day.

I still agree with this, even though every one of my interviewers wore the sportshirt and chinos thing, even in the most business-y of business settings. I felt overdressed during each. That said, there does seem to be the expectation that you dress up and play the game.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is Northwestern? In Michigan?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
NECROPOST!

I have a bschool interview tomorrow with a local alumnus at a caribou coffee. All my other interviews have been at the schools and have suggested business formal - charcoal suit for me.

What do I wear on a saturday morning at caribou coffee? Do I wear a suit and tie and risk being overdressed, or do I go biz casual and wear slacks, dress shirt and sport coat - no tie?

I'm getting mixed advice from everyone I talk to, so I thought I would pop on here and see what you guys think.

If it means anything, it's in DC and he's in consulting.

Thanks - I'll be checking tomorrow morning before getting dressed, so post your thoughts!

It's Saturday morning with alums so a blazer, dress shirt, tie, and slacks would be fine. A suit wouldl be okay, too.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's Saturday morning with alums so a blazer, dress shirt, tie, and slacks would be fine. A suit wouldl be okay, too.

+1,I wouldn't wear a suit,would just go with a blazer,grey trousers,solid shirt and a nice tie.

Frihed89

Reaction score
For these schools, I'd say what you wear will be irrelevant to their decision. Are you a number cruncher? Make the most of it. Debunk CapM theory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads