Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What time of year is appropriate???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CLaG, Feb 23, 2004.

1. CLaG

CLaG Member

I always thought that suede shoes were for fall/winter. Am I wrong in my thinking or does it depend on the color or the suede. I ask because i was thinking about purchasing some biege suede gucci loafers and wanted to know if i could wear them in the summer time.

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

I consider suede to be like any other calfskin shoe and wear it year round. I let the type of shoe determine what weather to wear it in - a loafer to me is warm weather shoe no matter what it's made from.

3. Phil

Phil Senior member

for some reason ive heard the same thing, that suede is meant only for fall and winter, but I really couldnt disagree more. A nice tan pair of suede shoes looks great with cotton and linen suits. I guess lighter colors might be more appropriate, for the shoes, in the summer.

4. Kai

Kai Senior member

Suede shoes are good year round.

White or off-white suede bucks are the quintesential summer shoe.

5. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Region and tradition determine this. Here in the South (US), suede shoes are put away sometime in March and certainly before Easter. It is appropriate to wear them again sometime around Halloween. Also, we don't consider suede an option for suit wear - unless of course you enjoy looking like a carpetbagger. Our Yankee friends say suede is appropriate year round', so it depends here where you are and what you want to have said about you(lol).

6. CLaG

CLaG Member

Thanks for all your fast responses. From what i've read, it will be safe to wear them in the summer time. If it matters, i live in Detroit, Michigan.

7. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

Oh snap, I got my Ferragamo's the other day. They're bone-colored suede, and they're pretty cool and a real steal at $40. My only apprehension is getting them all scuffed and dirty. Even now there are little faint marks that look like... lipstick? I'm guessing the previous owner had a lady friend who got a little too intimate with his footwear...

So, any cleaning/care tips?