• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time of year is appropriate???

CLaG

Reaction score
I always thought that suede shoes were for fall/winter. Am I wrong in my thinking or does it depend on the color or the suede. I ask because i was thinking about purchasing some biege suede gucci loafers and wanted to know if i could wear them in the summer time.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I consider suede to be like any other calfskin shoe and wear it year round. I let the type of shoe determine what weather to wear it in - a loafer to me is warm weather shoe no matter what it's made from.

Phil

Reaction score
for some reason ive heard the same thing, that suede is meant only for fall and winter, but I really couldnt disagree more. A nice tan pair of suede shoes looks great with cotton and linen suits. I guess lighter colors might be more appropriate, for the shoes, in the summer.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede shoes are good year round.

White or off-white suede bucks are the quintesential summer shoe.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Region and tradition determine this. Here in the South (US), suede shoes are put away sometime in March and certainly before Easter. It is appropriate to wear them again sometime around Halloween. Also, we don't consider suede an option for suit wear - unless of course you enjoy looking like a carpetbagger. Our Yankee friends say suede is appropriate year round', so it depends here where you are and what you want to have said about you(lol).

CLaG

Reaction score
Thanks for all your fast responses. From what i've read, it will be safe to wear them in the summer time. If it matters, i live in Detroit, Michigan.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh snap, I got my Ferragamo's the other day. They're bone-colored suede, and they're pretty cool and a real steal at $40. My only apprehension is getting them all scuffed and dirty. Even now there are little faint marks that look like... lipstick? I'm guessing the previous owner had a lady friend who got a little too intimate with his footwear...

So, any cleaning/care tips?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads