• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what the hell jeans will go well with black shoes & belt?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever since Fok's most recent treatise on the finer points if denim hues (APC's purple, KMW's browns, etc), I've become hyper-attuned to whether my jeans are harmonizing with my shoes (other than white chucks and brown clarks, I wear dress shoes almost exclusively). I'm finding it ever harder to wear black shoes, because everything seems to lend itself better to browns. I was looking forward to getting the SFx5eps, because of their famously complex color profile, and while they are definitely mind-blowing, they too seem more at home with browns IMO. The best I have come up with is the kind of flat blue of ES Fulton 53s and the Mic Rigids which, while unmistakably brown-toned, seem to go ok with black... kind of. In theory, I'm guessing actual black jeans (not sure if I'd like that in practise) or lighter blues (like APCs after a well-earned wash) would work, but I'm looking for something spoecifically to wear with black chelsea boots, which almost seem to polished to wear with really faded denim. Anybody have any ideas? p.s. I am aware that "O noes, I can't get my denimz to go with black shoes" may well be the SFest crisis ever recorded.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Ever since Fok's most recent treatise on the finer points if denim hues (APC's purple, KMW's browns, etc), I've become hyper-attuned to whether my jeans are harmonizing with my shoes (other than white chucks and brown clarks, I wear dress shoes almost exclusively). I'm finding it ever harder to wear black shoes, because everything seems to lend itself better to browns. I was looking forward to getting the SFx5eps, because of their famously complex color profile, and while they are definitely mind-blowing, they too seem more at home with browns IMO. The best I have come up with is the kind of flat blue of ES Fulton 53s and the Mic Rigids which, while unmistakably brown-toned, seem to go ok with black... kind of. In theory, I'm guessing actual black jeans (not sure if I'd like that in practise) or lighter blues (like APCs after a well-earned wash) would work, but I'm looking for something spoecifically to wear with black chelsea boots, which almost seem to polished to wear with really faded denim. Anybody have any ideas?

p.s. I am aware that "O noes, I can't get my denimz to go with black shoes" may well be the SFest crisis ever recorded.

I think APCs work fine with black shoes...

41hk9.jpg

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always just wear white tennies.. solves the problem right quick.
DRIZZ IS DA PREMIER POST WHORE OF SF.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree about APCs. I am trying to resist learning about the "subcolors" or hues or whatever of denim so I can blissfully continue to think my stuff looks fine.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered grey jeans? I really love the look of grey jeans + black chelseas (although I don't own a pair of either
musicboohoo[1].gif
) Also, +1 on the acne mic rigids, but I don't like APC's with black shoes unless they're really beat to hell.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's hard to have the belt and shoes match unless I'm wearing some godawful "kimono" pattern shoes... hrm wonder if I could find some...

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
Black and blue is one of my favorite color combos. Flat black shoes go well with dark washed jeans but not so much with raw indigo. I have also never been a fan of shiny black shoes with denim. This looks weak. The same rules apply to belts. I used to wear a few black blazers and track jackets with these combos and it worked well.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've worn black brogues with my 5EPxSF and it looks fine, but I agree the 5EPs are better suited to dark brown shoes. I like the grey jean/black shoe suggestion, can't go wrong with that palette.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It's hard to have the belt and shoes match unless I'm wearing some godawful "kimono" pattern shoes... hrm wonder if I could find some...

I've got the same problem! Does anybody know where I can get some shoes to match my belt?

1986_WWF_Championship.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads