• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the hell is up with this place?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, I'm in.

another thing is please, please, please, noobs, please don;t get a fit critique and come back with a new outfit in a half hour. waywt is just that; it's not make yourself pretty for internet starngers.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Okay... I propose for the month of MARCH that all of us start taking more chances with dress and having a bit more fun and taking chances. Let's try to push the envelope and post pictures. Some will be hits, some misses.

I already posted myself wearing shorts the other day (haha). I'll continue and for all of March try new things and just take whatever comes in the way of comments. I trust that most of us "know" how to dress; let's just shake things up a bit.

Anybody else willing to give it a try?

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Okay... I propose for the month of MARCH that all of us start taking more chances with dress and having a bit more fun and taking chances. Let's try to push the envelope and post pictures. Some will be hits, some misses.

I already posted myself wearing shorts the other day (haha). I'll continue and for all of March try new things and just take whatever comes in the way of comments. I trust that most of us "know" how to dress; let's just shake things up a bit. I'll pull out a lot of my designer stuff I NEVER wear and see what happens.

Anybody else willing to give it a try?

If I can find a camera, I'm more than happy to participate.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've tried to start threads about new, perhaps obscure, designers, with mixed results. Not sure why that is either.

Really, a lot of the designers are pretty 'meh'.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^but it still should inspire opinion/debate.

why talk only about established and universally agreed upon ones?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm all for more diversity, whether that's more gothninja, mollusk-proof shorts, or streetwear but something that's new or different isn't necessarily good.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, fellas, the challenge has been issued: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=102691 And I'm with you, Kunk, WAYWT has to be REAL WAYWT...
smile.gif
I'll start MARCH 1.
smile.gif
That'll give me time to pull some stuff out of the closets.
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I'm all for more diversity, whether that's more gothninja, mollusk-proof shorts, or streetwear but something that's new or different isn't necessarily good.
I agree and CREATIVITY, not costumes, is key. To use GoSurf again, he doesn't wear costumes, he's just creative in the way he puts things together and they work. he's not afraid to try something with color, texture, pattern, etc. that may be unconventional.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool.

we should also do forum crossovers, like tomorrow's inspired grey's anatomy and private practice one.
lol8[1].gif

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the challenge, I think im so set in my ways I wouldnt even know where to begin with branching out. I could go for a bit more preppy i guess, and probably will this spring. Could probably put together some douchy streetwear aswell, but unsure of how cool that would be...
ideas?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
here's my biggest thing, and imo how we should fix it:

1. clutter in the waywt thread and endless quotes of a picture.. make a waywt chat thread (like I said earlier)

2. racism in the CE forum. ban it. enough is enough. artisan fan just got a week ban and he came back and started posting his stupid racist **** the next day and nobody is going to do anything about it.

3. 10 day restirction on making a thread after joining.. will stop people from joining JUST to post a question thread

4. more mods. I rarely see stuff get moderated..

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
Regarding the challenge, I think im so set in my ways I wouldnt even know where to begin with branching out. I could go for a bit more preppy i guess, and probably will this spring. Could probably put together some douchy streetwear aswell, but unsure of how cool that would be...
ideas?

That's the thing... Take some chances and post the results. Take what you know and try to have a little fun, without being too "costumey." Be prepared for some hits, but also possibly some misses.

I, personally, am comfortable enough with myself, so if I screw up a few times and get called out on it in March, so be it. The point is to try and breathe some fresh air into all our wardrobes and, hopefully, the forum as well.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably think this way because I develop for software for a living, but you can only expect so much from people/newbs. Instead of limiting people to certain threads and searching through 100+ pages, maybe we should focus on making the information easier to find.

Questions like "who stocks XXX in my area", "what jeans fit like XXX", and other similar questions can be answered with a couple simple tools (and a good amount of data collection :p).

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some random thoughts re: the titular question, in no particular order (and some of which may apply to me):

- Economy may have something to do with it

- Was never that exciting in the first place (may or may not be true, just a thought)

- Blandness not called out, probably because often it's the prevailing vibe

- That said, there are only so many ways to dress, really

- Members are, on average, older than sufuers

- Fewer highly active members than sufu

- Fewer rich Asians than sufu

- Don't forget that sufu has plenty of highly active posters, young posters, and rich Asian posters and is still fairly boring for long periods

- However, many of the things we make fun of sufu for are actually what make it more dynamic than here

- That said, to be perfectly honest, most of the dudes on lookbook and sz are pretty boring too

- Toxicity of CEP&M spills over into SW&D, even though most of the wankers who post there are MC regulars

- We're not mean enough to noobs, so noob idiocy is not discouraged

- LA Guy's pseudo-background role now (understandable given his increased familial and professional responsibilities); he regularly dropped mad knowledge back when I first started, but said knowledge was absorbed and is now handed down by posters unable to match his smarts and swagga

- who, please don't take this the wrong way, but...while you have a huge amount of knowledge, your posts bring teh LAWL on a regular basis, and if I lived in LA I would absolutely be down for a meetup (NO ****), you are basically the SW&D regular with the most posts, and the (infrequent) pics you post are always sharp and tasteful but also usually kind of meh...in fairness, mine wouldn't be any more exciting, but...you know?

- SW&D non-mod regular with most posts next to who? SoCal. Nuff said.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
bounce2.gif
- That said, to be perfectly honest, most of the dudes on lookbook...are pretty boring too

I personally disagree with this (SZ is a different store, that **** is just about as homogenous as we are), but I understand the majority of the posters here agree with you.
confused.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Sufu is dead now, only suburban kids wearing bullshit post outfits and contribute.

TFS: special case, a few threads make it worthwhile from time to time. I go there maybe twice a week.

SZ: it is very targeted towards a specific audience and moves slower. There is some range but it's more between people who like CdG and Lanvin VS LMaltieri and MA+ than the range you guys really wanna see.

SF is not very focused on fashion and I believe some of the most ancient posters, like me, are. Since I balance it out with an interest in fine shoes and suits I tend to look at MC before I post here, which isn't as illogical as it may sound.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
While I don't necessarily disagree on the possible solution, go back to any period in WAYWT and the quality (of photography) was much different. Former regulars like Sauce and JPGM who don't post anymore had good photos, but most of it was mediocre. If anything, SF was easier on noobs who posted bad pics/fits. I think it's more that expectations for photos/fits have changed/improved. I know my pics have improved slightly, although my fits still muddle through
smile.gif

I don't expect award winning photography. As long as it is a clear shot and the fit is the main focus of the picture then I'm happy.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've tried to start threads about new, perhaps obscure, designers, with mixed results. Not sure why that is either.
For what it's worth, I always enjoy your threads. EDIT: I'd like to congratulate Whodini on finally starting a useful thread.
fing02[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth