• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the Hell Happened to My Red Wing GTs?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These were properly treated - twice - with Sno-Seal. I have worn them about 6 times, and they are finally breaking in nicely.

I came home from work and shoveled the driveway quickly (it snowed here in the suburbs of NYC today).

I took my shoes off, got cleaned up, came back, and this is what happened to these boots (after drying completely):

img1768.jpg

img1767m.jpg

It looks like my GTs have developed some insidious mole. Can a cobbler (I have a good one local) do anything for this? I was so goddamned meticulous in Sno-Sealing these...how the hell did this happen?

Patina is one thing...this is an eyesore. I may have to send these back, but I do not want to. Any advice is appreciated.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it stays like that, it might be some oil dripped on somehow. If it's new, you can use corn starch, but you might need to bring it to a shop if it has been there for a while.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls

I came home from work and shoveled the driveway quickly (it snowed here in the suburbs of NYC today).

It looks like my GTs have developed some insidious mole.

I may have to send these back, but I do not want to. Any advice is appreciated.

facepalm.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
No. That is a nasty, obvious spot.

We'll see what the cobbler says.

Perhaps the pics do not do justice in regards to just how obtuse the spot is. I'm looking for some advice here.

Pic before drying:

img1764b.jpg

Looks like a burn almost....wow that new pic is way different than the others....If that is not oil, you may have to darken the boots.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Looks like a burn almost....wow that new pic is way different than the others....If that is not oil, you may have to darken the boots.

This is insane; a burn in 20 degree Fahrenheit show shoveling? That's not dry ice cold.

This weird **** always happens to me. I will see the cobbler tomorrow and report back. There must be a fix.

And these were really developing a nice color.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

soupcxan

Reaction score
You: I wore these boots in the snow. Can you fix them?
Cobbler: You did WHAT? My boy, this is what you were supposed to do with the boots after you wore them [picks up boots and puts them in the trash].

Seriously, I suggest you immediately return these boots, purchase a new pair, and then put them in cryovac sealed bags which are then transferred to a safe deposit box at the NY Federal Reserve to prevent anything like this from ever happening again.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Just apply some shoe cream and it'll blend right in. Or you can leave it be and just polish it over with some wax polish when it is time. Shoes, esp boots are meant to be worn, don't worry about it.

I know, I'm being anal. But I'm so pissed the Sno-Seal utterly failed. It's not like I was laboring in some insane conditions. Normal NY winter, and that is certainly not nearly as brutal as Minnesota conditions.

I'm ordering some Obenauf's.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[situation]are you effing serious right now?[/situation]

you probably stepped in some street oil and splashed it around. if you return these to the seller due to what is obviously your mistake, you are a moron

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I suggest you immediately return these boots, purchase a new pair, and then put them in cryovac sealed bags which are then transferred to a safe deposit box at the NY Federal Reserve to prevent anything like this from ever happening again.

Beer and this comment make me feel better. A little.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads