• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the Hell Happened to My Red Wing GTs?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
[situation]are you effing serious right now?[/situation] you probably stepped in some street oil and splashed it around. if you return these to the seller due to what is obviously your mistake, you are a moron
Relax buddy. These are practically brand new. That is why this bothers me. Perhaps you should not be so assumptive. I am still looking for practical advice as to how to proceed to make these look better, rather than some half-assed comment. Perhaps I should not wear boots (which have been treated with Sno-Seal) in inclement weather? Thanks for such an astute response. Ugh. I give up.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a few more of those, and you can post another pic at the 'shoes w/ character' thread... I say keep the stains (and scars) and let your boots age gracefully.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
There must be a fix.

Work with the flaw and make it unique:

296hpvs.jpg

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shovel all the driveways in your neighborhood, then they'll have a real patina.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are work boots right?
These are not some bespoke Lobbs or something.

I know it hurts at first, but seriously, they are work boots. You worked in them....

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking in shoes is a two step process: physical and mental.

You got over the physical part, now comes the mental part...
teacha.gif

viator

Reaction score
If it's oil, there is the possibility that it the leather will absorb it and the stain will fade over time. That is, just in time for new stains.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said before, it's a great chance that it's oil. I know this because my leather bag has exactly the same problem. It willl take forever to fade away unless there is some treatment that copplers use.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
It willl take forever to fade away unless there is some treatment that copplers use.
My couch would disagree with you.
laugh.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
My couch would disagree with you.
laugh.gif

Then you're lucky I guess. I had a couple of drops of olive oil on it. And it has been about a year, and I think it looks the same. But my bag is tan though, so I think that makes the problem worst.

viator

Reaction score
That could definitely be the case. My couch is a soft, dark brown leather. And when the oil spilled on it, we immediately rubbed the bejesus out of it with corn starch. The starch didn't completely take away the stain, but what was left slowly faded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads