• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Should I Wear as a Host?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much money for pants? If wool, try Nordstrom Rack, Banana Republic, or (online) Lands' End.

LostnConfused

Reaction score
So what's the difference between the different materials used for pants? It's so hot sometimes in California so what's the most breathable pants material that doesn't look cheap?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1:

Why does your employer not provide you with a uniform?

2:

Ask your employer what is customary in such a minor, if front of house, position: I doubt that it will be more than black trousers and maybe a black shirt. There is a grave danger that you pick something over powering which is off putting to customers who have, after all, come to relax.

If your employer is unhelpful, go and look what people are wearing now.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sebago Sherman, a well made penny loafer with rubber sole, on sale, they still have the black in wide sizes.

http://www.sebago.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/8820M/0/Mens/Sherman-Cordo?dimensions=0

Land's End Chinos:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-pla..._MERCH=IDX_men-_-pants-_-regular&origin=index

This shirt?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tai...en-_-dress-shirts-ties-_-regular&origin=index

Land's End also has ties, I was thinking knit ties but they appear to be out of black. This one is interesting...?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-cot...X_men-_-dress-shirts-ties-_-ties&origin=index

This might work for a vest but if it were me I'd go vintage.

http://www.express.com/stretch-wool-blend-suit-vest-23719-698/control/page/4/show/3/index.pro

Not sure you need the vest given that San Diego is warm.

I would go with a matching belt over suspenders in an outfit like this.

No jewelry other than a watch.

LostnConfused

Reaction score

That was exponentially more helpful than your previous post. Thank you for the recommendations~! But I think I'll hold out on suspenders and belts in the same outfit
fistbump.gif

Also, I don't know why they don't provide a uniform. All the waitstaff wears all black (shoes, shirts and pants).

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lostnconfused, I am sorry, but that outfit doesn't look good on yourself.

Some things you should change about it, imo:
a) The Shirt is too big for yourself at least around your waist. Are the cuffs buttoned up? If they are they are way too wide as well.
Despos knows way more about shirts than I do, I am sure he will be able to point out other details as well.
b) No (dressy) shirt should have a breast pocket, they are plain ugly.
c) If you wear a tie without a jacket, which I wouldn't ever do myself, drop the tie bar, in fact, drop the tie bar in 99% of times, no matter what occasion.
d) Buy a belt with a traditional closure and more elegant buckle.
e) You said you are a material artist, so I assume you are fit. The pants make your hips look fat, which I am sure you aren't. The top block seems to be too boxy, most likely the rest is as well.

Last edited:

LostnConfused

Reaction score
Dang, well this is a good learning experience. Thank you

a) Will return some shirts tomorrow.
c) Will drop the tie bar. If I have to bend forward (like reaching for items across a table) often at work, should I go for bow ties instead?
d)What should a belt look like and where can I can one at a good price?

e) My body proportion is kind of dumb... I'm really skinny for my height which is good for competitions but not so good for, well, looking good.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
c) Haven't thought of it's pratical use, maybe I am wrong, others will know better than I do.
d) Look for something like this

e) Don't worry! Almost all users around here aren't model material, you are fit which is a great condition to start from.

What made you move away from the idea of wearing a kimono?
At the sushi place I go to all the staff is wearing Japanese robes, which I am not sure of if they are authentic kimonos, but they look great in it.
You can have a look at it over here, just flip through some pictures and there will be one with three of them.
http://www.frankfurt-sushi.de/Restaurant#

Last edited:

LostnConfused

Reaction score
that belt looks nice. And again, thank you.

I honestly never took the idea of wearing a kimono seriously. I guess it's a bit different here as most the restaurants I go to, clothes are mostly westernized. But the sushi in your link looks delicious
cheers.gif

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Frankfurt is much different in dress than London or New York.
Bankers, consultants and lawyers in suits and a lot of them go to Sushiko frequently, so please take the recommendation for a kimono seriously, I am sure it will work in California as well.
Also I think it's a great thing to foster national tradition and what better place to wear a kimono than at a sushi restaurant?

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be put of by comments on the tie bar, they are a very practical way of keeping your tie from flapping around when you are doing "manual" labour. For desk jockeys they are ornamental but for people who actually move about during the day they are a tool.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tea ceremony, a sumo match, Japan...in a prior century.

Plenty of people in Japan still wear kimono as well as other traditional clothing like haori, hakama, yukata etc., and in fact, there are quite a lot of interesting modern-style versions around (Sou-sou etc.) as well as designers who have spliced traditional forms with western influences (Yohji Yamamoto is the best-known example). But for a sushi restaurant in California it would come across as a bit weird and kitsch, unless it was of that high fashion end and that was the 'uniform' of the place.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then tropical weight wool (or wool blended with a little linen, probably very hard to find at a low price). It's indoors, mostly evening, in a restaurant that has air conditioning, right? Even wrinkle-resistant cotton won't have the wrinkle-free, professional look usually found in wool, and moving around a lot quickly wrinkles cotton. Plus, hiding wrinkles in cotton via black doesn't work well because washing often fades the black.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads