• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Should I Wear as a Host?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't wear a jacket. It probably would be overkill. Japanese hosts aren't salarymen.

+1. Now is your opportunity to embrace all the SF taboos against 'looking like a waiter' since you are one, essentially. Foremost is wearing black. I'd get fitted black trousers and a black waistcoat, then maybe a solid black tie and white shirt. You'll instantly be recognized as the host and you'll have free range of motion in your arms since you aren't wearing a jacket. Inception had a lot of good waistcoat action going on if you want inspiration.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't wear black, you will look unimaginative and will give off a chain restaurant/service industry image.

If you wear only shirt and trouser get a good fit. A good fit will enhance your image as much as what you wear. Try not to have a uniform look. Jacket might be good but is a bigger investment for your situation. Have you discussed your question with the owner?

LostnConfused

Reaction score
Wow guys, I didn't expect so many responses! Thank you so much, even the sarcastic posts were funny to read.

So to answer a few questions, most clients/customers that come in are upper middle class and are dressed in nice casual clothes during dinner and often business casual during lunch. I think since we're in Southern California, people are often dressed in more relaxed attire when going out to eat.

My manager told me to look good... no real details except to not wear jeans (though i think that wearing a nice button up with a blazer and dark fitted jeans would be okay).

I also work in San Diego so it's always warm here, so I'm trying to avoid layering (even though I love it) because I don't want to look like a sweaty pig.

And yes, I do martial arts and I am of mostly Asian descent
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'll post up pictures of some of the clothes I got soon!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't wear jeans, it's really not appropriate,even if you have a jacket. Your employer didn't offer any direction but was specific about not wearing jeans. That should tell you something. Avoid making a mistake.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium gray trousers, black leather shoes, white shirt, sleeves rolled up. Tie and vest wouldn't be a bad idea, not the same color as the trousers.

LostnConfused

Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestions for fairly priced trousers? Or if I was searching in a department store what brand I should keep an eye out for (or does it not matter for pants?)?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You look like you're a student of martial arts.

That's good, when he's not hosting he can pretend he's the Karate Kid.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LostnConfused

Reaction score
I'm decent, haha. I've never actually had to use any of my training in the restaurant. I guess that's one of the upsides of catering to rich people.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Now is your opportunity to embrace all the SF taboos against 'looking like a waiter' since you are one, essentially. Foremost is wearing black. I'd get fitted black trousers and a black waistcoat, then maybe a solid black tie and white shirt. You'll instantly be recognized as the host and you'll have free range of motion in your arms since you aren't wearing a jacket. Inception had a lot of good waistcoat action going on if you want inspiration.

^^This. Just don't try to stand out. And spend as less as possible on you cloths. Becos your cloths will get dirty and you will wash my clothes everyday. I have worked at restaurant during my high school/uni days. Working in restaurant your cloths will smell like food.And don't think you can go out on your work cloths after work. This is what I used to do. Bring my work cloths in gym bag . Get dressed at work. After work shower. Wear my normal cloths and once home work cloths in the washer. Get shoes with rubber sole. Restaurant floors needs to be cleaned often and when you walk in kitchen you won't know what you may step in. Don't waste money in expensive shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads