• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Should I Wear as a Host?

LostnConfused

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums but I've lurked around and found that the posters on this site are witty and highly fashionable so i've come here for help.

Long story short, I got a job as a host at this high end sushi restaurant that becomes kinda cool and hip during late night happy hour. I don't know what to wear, what to buy or where to get the clothes I need. I was thinking along the lines of vests, gray or black dress pants, slim fit shirts, bow ties, ties, pocket squares, a watch, a necklace (too much?), suspenders, and shoes. My goal is to look good at and outside of work.

Background: I'm 6 feet tall, slim/skinny, just graduated college this summer (i.e, pretty broke), and living in california where there's pretty much no seasons and it's warm out all the time.

As I mentioned above, i lurked around and found that a lot of people here like CW and Brooks Brothers for shirts? I guess i'll start my search there.

Thank you so much in advance. I look forward to all the advice and knowledge you guys have to offer
shog[1].gif

EDIT: Wow guys, I didn't expect so many responses! Thank you so much, even the sarcastic posts were funny to read.

So to answer a few questions, most clients/customers that come in are upper middle class and are dressed in nice casual clothes during dinner and often business casual during lunch. I think since we're in Southern California, people are often dressed in more relaxed attire when going out to eat.

My manager told me to look good... no real details except to not wear jeans (though i think that wearing a nice button up with a blazer and dark fitted jeans would be okay).

I also work in San Diego so it's always warm here, so I'm trying to avoid layering (even though I love it) because I don't want to look like a sweaty pig.

And yes, I do martial arts and I am of mostly Asian descent
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'll post up pictures of some of the clothes I got soon!

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best choice would be to ask the employer what the dress code is. Other than the necklace and pocket square, the clothing ideas sound probably acceptable for work. For outside of work, not okay, unless the goal is to look like a guy who probably has a low-paying job and likes to go clubbing. Most people should avoid ties, suspenders (especially visible suspenders), and vests for casual wear.

The shoes should be black leather and have rubber soles. Spend as much as you can afford on that. Southern California, right?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoking jacket with bow tie. Preferably with oriental patterns.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That presumably is sarcasm.

LostnConfused

Reaction score
The best choice would be to ask the employer what the dress code is. Other than the necklace and pocket square, the clothing ideas sound probably acceptable for work. For outside of work, not okay, unless the goal is to look like a guy who probably has a low-paying job and likes to go clubbing. Most people should avoid ties, suspenders (especially visible suspenders), and vests for casual wear.
The shoes should be black leather and have rubber soles. Spend as much as you can afford on that. Southern California, right?

They have no idea what the dress code is, as i'm the first male host they've ever hired. They just said to dress "nice".

Yes, I'm from SoCal, originally from LA so I grew up very use to the casual look. I'm just starting out and you have no idea how helpful your advice is to me, it's very much appreciated. Do you have a place or brand you could recommend for shoes in Southern California? Maybe prices too so I don't feel like being ripped off.

One of the things I learned from this site is that traditionally, suspenders shouldn't be visible. That was definitely the kid in me speaking because I always thought suspenders were so cool
shog[1].gif

@landshark: ...R-really??

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow the causal mature men's look.

Start with a caramel or navy blazer, smart chinos, business colour shirt, a couple of pocket square, two-three pairs of good shoes.

Look around the WARWRN men's causal thread and get some idea.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A kimono, prefebly something really nice, you don't want to be mistaken for the waiting staff.... you did say "sushi restaurant"?

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just a suit with a nice tie, pocket square and polished shoes. I don't think you should stand out too much.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeDT, i took you advice, how does it look?

Yes. :nodding: This I like. That is what I would expect to see in a sushi restaurant. The hosts wear kimonos at my local sushi and Japanese restaurants, although I am in China.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSW or Nordstrom, probably. If the budget is low, brands like Florsheim with circa $150 shoes probably will be the best option. It's possible to try on shoes there and then order online for less.

Don't wear a jacket. It probably would be overkill. Japanese hosts aren't salarymen.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dress a step up from the restaurants clientele. Consider the decor of the restaurant and gauge the formality/casualness of the setting. Dressing up is better than too casual and be mindful you are the face to the restaurant and the first impression that guests will have when they enter. Represent.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads