• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shirt do I wear a cardigan with? (Untucked shirt doesnt work)

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggen
I recommend buttoning all buttons except the bottom one. That's how I always wear my cardigans.

Originally Posted by JohnGalt
this.

Seconded (or thirded).

adadan

Reaction score
I agree with just about everything everybody said on this thread (the bottom button unbuttoned is most common for me).

I also know I have a couple shirts that match up with a couple cardigans where the length of the shirt untucked just peeks out of the bottom of the cardigan, with all buttons buttoned. May be blasphemy, but I think it is a great super-casual (read: sloppy) look. Yes, I just admitted to liking a sloppy look on SF.

To go even further out on a limb (can you hear the branch creaking?), I never wore a cardigan with more than one button unbuttoned until a scene in the Elvis movie "King Creole" caught my eye. If you haven't seen it and are picturing the technicolor cheese of later Elvis flicks, this is fairly early, black & white, and he's on the way to high school, stops at the seedy bar where he "sweeps up," (this is in New Orleans in the late 50's) and get in an altercation with these mob-type guys, all while wearing a plain black high school type cardigan completely unbuttoned. Totally badass.

Feel free to call me an idiot, but since then I sometimes wear my plain black cardigan totally unbuttoned.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
The buttoning entirely depends on the fit and length of the cardigan itself. It'll be different for each one.

+1

sle-z-e

Reaction score
I am currently wearing a cardigan with all but the bottom one buttoned. I am also wearing a t-shirt underneath (untucked). I think it looks pretty good but the shirt does have to be a shorter length than the cardigan itself.

Specs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NowPlayingTheGame
Thanks for the input guys.

Comments on the pictures?
Hmm, I think my jeans don't fit well.

You are right. I have jeans that sort of fit like that and never realized how bad it looked until I saw those pictures. Those jeans have just been demoted to field work pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads