Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What shirt do I wear a cardigan with? (Untucked shirt doesnt work)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NowPlayingTheGame, Oct 11, 2009.

1. NowPlayingTheGame

NowPlayingTheGame Active Member

I want to wear the unbuttoned cardigan w/ jeans. (I do not like the cardigan when buttoned up. Too stuffy) So, what shirt do I wear underneath? If I try an untucked oxford collared shirt, then it hangs much lower than the cardigan, and looks ridiculous from the back. (Cardigan goes to waist, untucked shirt hangs past your ass) Same logic applies for a T-Shirt. But, I don't want to tuck in a T-shirt. (douchey) Do I tuck in the oxford as the best bet? Anyone got any model pics I can use as guidance? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

tuck in the oxford. or wear a polo, tucked in too, unless it's short enough.

But seriously, you should button it. Not all of the buttons, just the one that's around your belly button. It won't look stuffy. Having it unbuttoned takes away the whole point of a cardigan. You want that V shape from your shoulders to your waist.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Senior member

tuck in the oxford. or wear a polo, tucked in too, unless it's short enough.

But seriously, you should button it. Not all of the buttons, just the one that's around your belly button. It won't look stuffy. Having it unbuttoned takes away the whole point of a cardigan. You want that V shape from your shoulders to your waist.

This.

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I would tuck in the shirt, or you could do a polo or something that would hang lower.

5. NowPlayingTheGame

Thanks for the input guys. Comments on the pictures? Hmm, I think my jeans don't fit well. Untucked looks like an apron in the front, and sloppy in the back. I agree that tucked in is the clear winner. Buttoning the MIDDLE buttons give the illusion that I am busting out of the cardigan (fat) Fully buttoned up looks awful, however. Either bottom botton(s), and/or I don't mind fully open. Either way, I'm glad I can put this back into my rotation. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

You absolutely need to tuck your shirt in and you absolutely need to button at least the first few buttons of your cardigan, with preference to buttoning them all.

Case closed.

7. NowPlayingTheGame

You're right, I am now leaning towards all buttoned. Or just the top unbuttoned. Thanks.

8. NowPlayingTheGame

I am enjoying this outfit, and wearing it at home. I always like to conflate casual and dressy.

9. Biggen

Biggen Senior member

I recommend buttoning all buttons except the bottom one. That's how I always wear my cardigans.

10. NowPlayingTheGame

Your format allows one to expose/see the matching belt. With the bottom one closed, it covers the belt. Not bad,

11. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior member

When I wear the same thing, I keep the top one unbuttoned and either button the rest or leave the bottom one undone.

Shirt has to be tucked

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I recommend buttoning all buttons except the bottom one. That's how I always wear my cardigans.

this.

13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I am enjoying this outfit, and wearing it at home. I always like to conflate casual and dressy.
    I have to ask. Whats the dressy part?

14. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Senior member

The buttoning entirely depends on the fit and length of the cardigan itself. It'll be different for each one.

15. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

Tuck in a red OCBD and off you go...