• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wet wet Sunday: Contraband - so so smugglin caper.
Mission Imposs 4 - absurd crap, but in a satisfying way, if temporary way. Rather like a big mac, I imagine. OK for the ride then leaves you feeling empty. Prefer Bournes in the genre.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most early 80's film was ****. For this to be groundbreaking? Eh.

Even if most of the early 80's isn't good, that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of jewels to be mined. There are plenty of good movies: The Sting, The Shining, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, Trading Places, 48 Hrs, just to name a few.

Also, I think Blues Brothers stands on Its own just for the musical numbers alone. It's pretty amazing the number of people they got to appear in that movie.

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 to in time. very cool concept, made it worth watching.
would you say young adult is worth the watch?

I would say it's definitely worth the watch. There a plenty of good laughs to keep you interested during the slower dramatic parts.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In Time was a good concept, and was shot beautifully. It's too bad the acting is what brought it down.
I picked up quite a few blu rays from a blockbuster store that was closing its' doors. The American, Knight And Day, and Nine(coincident that stitch was talking about it). Also picked up Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Social Network, and Up In The Air at .94 a piece. Smoking deals.

the american - i liked, pretty good
knight and day - also liked
nine - couldnt watch more than 20 minutes. went to wikipedia and read the rest of the plot and sent back to netflix
rise POA - aight, some cool grapgics
SN - great
Up in the air - also great

HANJOY!

I would say it's definitely worth the watch. There a plenty of good laughs to keep you interested during the slower dramatic parts.

thanks, ill add it to my netflix today. :)

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apocalypto. I had a few nitpicks but a remarkable film overall.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Even if most of the early 80's isn't good, that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of jewels to be mined. There are plenty of good movies: The Sting, The Shining, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, Trading Places, 48 Hrs, just to name a few.
Also, I think Blues Brothers stands on Its own just for the musical numbers alone. It's pretty amazing the number of people they got to appear in that movie.

Of that list The Shining, Blade Runner is the only one I'd call a classic. Prly the only good Ridley Scott movie, IMO other than Alien and Thelma and Louise.

Raging Bull, A Passage to India, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Prizzis Honor

From 80 to 85 thats all I can remember as being worth a ****.

Just to supplement my point about this bad 1/2 decade, if I recall, ET was nominated for best picture and Jeff Bridges got a nod for that grabastic ************* 'Starman'.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Has anybody seen The Last Temptation of Christ? I have wanted to see it for a while. I hear it offended tons of people, but the director, the line-up and story sounds ******* awesome.

Many times. At one point I considered it my favorite film, and I think it's one of Willem Dafoe's best roles. The soundtrack is pretty amazing as well.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Mr. Deeds goes to Town .

just watched it on TMC

watched Breaking Away, holds up very well

same for the Graduate

I got the Wild Bunch on bluray, haven't re-watched it again, been many years

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Of that list The Shining, Blade Runner is the only one I'd call a classic. Prly the only good Ridley Scott movie, IMO other than Alien and Thelma and Louise.

Raging Bull, A Passage to India, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Prizzis Honor

From 80 to 85 thats all I can remember as being worth a ****.

Just to supplement my point about this bad 1/2 decade, if I recall, ET was nominated for best picture and Jeff Bridges got a nod for that grabastic ************* 'Starman'.

That's a pretty great list for any 5 year period (and you left out Taxi Driver, The Empire Strikes Back, The Elephant Man, Ordinary People, and of course, Popeye. and that's just 1980!)

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's a pretty great list for any 5 year period (and you left out Taxi Driver, The Empire Strikes Back, The Elephant Man, Ordinary People, and of course, Popeye. and that's just 1980!)

7 classics in 5 years? Taxi driver, yes, Empire, yes. 9 in 5 years? Thats weak.

Look at 86 to 90:

Platoon
The mission
Broadcast News
Moonstruck
Rain Man
Dangerous Liaisons
GoodFellas
Blue Velvet
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Full Metal Jacket
The Princess Bride
Wall Street
Grave of the Fireflies
Cinema Paradiso
Ran
Stand By Me
Wings of Desire
Babette's Feast
Midnight Run
La Femme Nikita
Edward Scissorhands
Metropolitan

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look at 86 to 90:
Platoon
The mission
Broadcast News
Moonstruck
Rain Man
Dangerous Liaisons
GoodFellas
Blue Velvet
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Full Metal Jacket
The Princess Bride
Wall Street
Grave of the Fireflies
Cinema Paradiso
Ran
Stand By Me
Wings of Desire
Babette's Feast
Midnight Run
La Femme Nikita
Edward Scissorhands
Metropolitan

I guess, first of all, when you said early 80's, I didn't consider anything after 1983. I also didn't consider any foreign films either. I also didn't consider my list to my exhaustive my any means, just a sampling of some of the better offerings from this time period.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Tampopo
The Terminator
Diva
The King of Comedy
After Hours
Arrebato
Out of the Blue
Possession
The Thing
Toute une Nuit/A Whole Night
Thief
Videodrome
Veronika Voss
To Live and Die in L.A.
Body Double
Blow Out

etc. - please don't make me keep going.

(And Ran was released in '85.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads