• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes expensive shoes (John Lobb, Edward Green etc) worth the price?

KingBankUno

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to fashion and I get that shoes like Allen Edmonds are much better than cheap shoes, but what additional value do shoes like John Lobb have that makes them worth over $1000 more? I tried on a pair of JLs at Barney's the other day and while they looked good and were pretty comfortable, nothing screamed out as being worth that much of a price premium. Is there something I'm missing as to why JLs are so much better?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Read this thread: a comparison of eight pairs of the same design from different makers.

From@wurger's introduction:

Another question that seems to be asked all the time: “Is it worth the price difference if I buy the same style from brand A compare to brand B?”

• There has never been and never will be a linear relation between value and quality when comes to luxury goods, it’s a law of diminishing returns, and luckily, shoemakers are a lot better than fashion houses.

• Brand, the quality of leather, the cost of labour and finishing all attribute to the higher cost of the shoe, leaving shoes look nicer over a longer period of time when cared for. We buy them because either we or other people have good experience with that brand, believe in the quality of craftsmanship and styles and thus decide to patronize certain brands.

• Each brand has their own different lasts, even though the shape of the last shouldn’t affect the price of the shoe, one would find the lasts used by the middle to top tier shoemakers are more elegant and aggressive, compare to the tubular lasts of the entry tier brands. The more aggressive lasts leave less room for error when comes to fit, which could a lesser issue as when one spends a substantial amount on a pair of shoes, there is a higher chance that they spend the time and effort to get the right fit.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
+1. Craftsmanship, materials and style are the 3 things (in my mind) too look for in a shoe. Plus, I do think there's a difference in quality when you're holding a $1600 St Crispin shoe in your hand and comparing it to. $300 AE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
+1. Craftsmanship, materials and style are the 3 things (in my mind) too look for in a shoe. Plus, I do think there's a difference in quality when you're holding a $1600 St Crispin shoe in your hand and comparing it to. $300 AE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, not the best example because the StC's are handwelted and the AE's are GY-welted
wink.gif
. I get what you're trying to say, though.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Eh, not the best example because the StC's are handwelted and the AE's are GY-welted
wink.gif
. I get what you're trying to say, though.
What I mean is that there is a noticeable difference in finish and craftsmanship when you put a lower cost shoe beside a higher cost shoe. The law of diminishing returns tends to apply to $1000+ shoes IMO. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides craftsmanship, materials, and all that jazz, fit is also an important factor. I wore AE early on but their lasts weren't the best for me and after trying various lasts and brands (including JL, which you mentioned), I have settled with EG and G&G. The fit, then design, and quality hits a nice sweet spot. I've tried really hard to convince myself with Vass but the fit isn't just that great for me.

Others will put higher value on certain things (e.g., many will shun GYW for a preference for HW) and it comes down to what's important to you, what you can afford, and what's proximal to your geographic area.

If AE works well for your lifestyle and it's not practical for you to own a shelf of bespoke shoes or StC, EG, Vass, JL, G&G, etc., I doubt you'll lose much sleep over it. :)

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My John Lobb bespoke boots are the most expensive footwear I've ever bought, but also the most comfortable!

Worth every penny and I've ordered another pair, so hopefully I'm set for life!:)

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No E.G/Lobb/G&G worth the price,
they look cheap and have shoddy workmanship because of machines used in making.
Eg,
1. upper attach to welt all uneven because gemming is not placed even because man use machine too fast.
2. welt detach from sole in most high end English because the workshop cut corners and not attach sole and welt with glue in correct method (most shoe factory never glue leather correctly because it take more time to do right )
3. feel cheap on foot
4. gemmed construction

Lobb/G&G/E.G look more good than many factory shoe but they still look cheap and lifeless.
Lobb/G&G/E.G are for man who appreciate look over substance like lady like designer shoe brand.
Machine can never make shoe with proper integrity.
Machine shoe not real shoe because it imitation.
Lobb/E.G/G&G look good on foot,
but close up floors easy to see.

Factory shoe = profit before quality.

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No E.G/Lobb/G&G worth the price,
they look cheap and have shoddy workmanship because of machines used in making.
Eg,
1. upper attach to welt all uneven because gemming is not placed even because man use machine too fast.
2. welt detach from sole in most high end English because the workshop cut corners and not attach sole and welt with glue in correct method (most shoe factory never glue leather correctly because it take more time to do right )
3. feel cheap on foot
4. gemmed construction

Lobb/G&G/E.G look more good than many factory shoe but they still look cheap and lifeless.
Lobb/G&G/E.G are for man who appreciate look over substance like lady like designer shoe brand.
Machine can never make shoe with proper integrity.
Machine shoe not real shoe because it imitation.
Lobb/E.G/G&G look good on foot,
but close up floors easy to see.

Factory shoe = profit before quality.

Say what?

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I don't think his post was that hard to understand. With Lobbs, G&G's, and EG's, you're paying close to or over $1,000 for a Goodyear-welted pair of shoes. To some people, no matter how good the quality of the leather uppers are, how fantastic the finishing is, or how unique the styling and the shape of the last is, a GY-welted pair of shoes isn't worth that kind of money.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1