• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of umbrella do you have?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The last time I looked at them -- and it's been a while -- I wasn't impressed.

I really liked that umbrella's all black look. Do you know of something similar that is good? The Gustbuster is doing well, but I don't like the wood-colour handle.

lsquare

Reaction score
I'm looking at Briggs' umbrellas and I'm wondering what sets them apart from the competition besides that it's hand-crafted? What kind of release system does Brigg employs? Is it like the Gustbuster and most umbrellas in which you lock the umbrella by pulling it and getting the metal part to slide into a lock?

gehrig

Reaction score
Yea you pull it up and the metal cylinder thing slides over some hook. What sets it apart is the solid wood shaft - looks much nicer than a metal shaft and probably nicer than a pieced together wood shaft although I've only seen those in passing on the sidewalk.

gehrig

Reaction score
I don't know what Smith ones are like but I just tape measured my Brigg and it's slightly longer than thirty six, tip part is wood (presumably still part of the shaft) and covered with a metal cap at its end. The canopy is sizable, i am six one one eighty and it covers me in its entirety, I can't imagine you will have any coverage issues unless you are immensely obese.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A huge, black, doorman's umbrella that I bought at Hammacher Schlemmer. It covers three people; this can invite trouble. A group of Gypsies once gathered underneath my umbrella, on State Street in Chicago. They followed me all the way to Marshall Field's. I had to force the umbrella away from them, before entering the store. No, I wasn't willing to give it up.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gehrig
I don't know what Smith ones are like but I just tape measured my Brigg and it's slightly longer than thirty six, tip part is wood (presumably still part of the shaft) and covered with a metal cap at its end. The canopy is sizable, i am six one one eighty and it covers me in its entirety, I can't imagine you will have any coverage issues unless you are immensely obese.

So the canopy of your umbrella is greater than 36 inches? I'm shorter and thinner than you so I guess there won't be any problems there.

How does your umbrella lock up? Is it via the traditional lock system that most umbrella employs?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brigg compact that fits into the zippered outer compartment of my briefcase.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Brigg compact that fits into the zippered outer compartment of my briefcase.

The straight handle or the crook?

SABCallStraight.gif

SABCallCrook.gif

I have a standard maple from Brigg via Classic Luggage and am very happy with it, but it is sometimes a pain to carry a stick umbrella.

Do you think the compact is significantly better than some random Totes or something like that, and if so, why?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The straight handle or the crook?

SABCallStraight.gif

SABCallCrook.gif

I have a standard maple from Brigg via Classic Luggage and am very happy with it, but it is sometimes a pain to carry a stick umbrella.

Do you think the compact is significantly better than some random Totes or something like that, and if so, why?

The crook J. I find the compact to hold up in the wind way better than any other compact I've owned. The canopy seems to be larger as well.

Plus I love the wooden handle and it was under $100.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Brigg PoW and I'm lovin it!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Obviously. Where do you live? I've been around and can't remember being outside in that sort of wind.

Here on the plains of North Dakota, there's an extreme amount of wind (windmills are popping up all over the place, and we have at least one windmill manufacturing plant that is expanding all the time). I've had umbrellas invert on me three times, each time accompanied by copious amounts of nasty language.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the first times I carried my Brigg, I saw another fellow's umbrella turn inside out. First time I had seen it happen. You can imagine how smug I felt, though I felt bad for the poor soul. He continued to carry it over his head, collecting water like a saucer.

And Sgt, to answer your questions, the 36-inch canopy should be fine, and my Brigg uses the traditional brass locking mechanism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads