• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of umbrella do you have?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I recently purchased the exact same umbrella from IGolfstore. I am very impressed with mine, as I can tell it is very sturdy. Mine opens properly and keeps me dry. I didn't like the colorful logo on mine either so I marked over it. It is a great umbrella overall and I would highly recommend it. I also had the Doorman 62" model as well but didn't like it as it was entirely to big. The classic J-handle is much easier to manage and store.

What do you mean by marking over it? It looks like the logo is stiched on to that velcro strap.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Just with a sharpie marker. Nothing exciting, just dulls out the bright green.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brigg folding umbrella.

I'd love to have one of their full size umbrellas, but the only time I ever use an umbrella is when I travel, and nothing but a folding umbrella will fit in my briefcase.

Morris

Reaction score
James Smith - olive for brown shoes
Brigg - black for black shoes

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed over time that vintage women's umbrellas seem to be quite common, although men's vintage umbrellas seem to be far and few between. Why do you think this is? Did men not use them as regularly in the past as today?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
I've noticed over time that vintage women's umbrellas seem to be quite common, although men's vintage umbrellas seem to be far and few between. Why do you think this is? Did men not use them as regularly in the past as today?

Some guys still consider them feminine, for reasons I don't understand. But I imagine one reason you see more women's umbrellas for sale is that they're a novelty -- an old umbrella is an old umbrella, but a woman's umbrella is a parasol.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess thats true but I would still think with collectors of vintage anything, everywhere, you would still see more on the market occasionally.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see a lot of Deco-styled umbrellas on eBay, and the old Briggs command good prices. The whangee-handled ones go very high as well. Maybe the better umbrellas are just snapped up quickly? Or maybe the lack of branding/distinguishing features on many makes them less appealing to sell?

Mecnun

Reaction score
I have an Asprey with leather and palisander handle.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A T Fox & Co stick-through in dark brown twill - just about formal enough to use in town, whilst also perfectly acceptable at weekends also. And very good for beating off would-be muggers.

lsquare

Reaction score
What's the quality like for Hugo Boss umbrellas? I was at the Hugo Boss in NYC and they had an all-black umbrella with a leather handle. I didn't had a chance to ask for the price though.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
I just got myself a The Umbrella Shop Windgrinder in yellow. The double canopy seems to have solved the umbrella inverting problem so was worth the extra money.

wgs01_4928.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
What's the quality like for Hugo Boss umbrellas? I was at the Hugo Boss in NYC and they had an all-black umbrella with a leather handle. I didn't had a chance to ask for the price though.

The last time I looked at them -- and it's been a while -- I wasn't impressed.

Droog

Reaction score
Just took delivery last week of a Fox Whangee cane, black material for umbrella and case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics