1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of umbrella do you have?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Aug 27, 2006.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

This is Seattle, so I guess it's ironic that we locals don't use umbrellas much here. At the schools you see a lot of them because there are a lot of people from out of state. I have one that I keep in my car, one of those subcompact types. And I admit, I've used it myself on occasion, but only when I was caught unprepared for a really serious downpour. For the most part, though, it's for visitors who might ride with me.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I recently bought a $40 umbrella (I have learned nothing here, yes)from neiman loooking for something not too costly yet better (and hopefulyy stronger) than a $5 throw away I could buy on the street. A few weeks later it starts raining pretty hard and I yank out the umbrella eager for my first chance to use it. Well on first attempt it proves it aint that great (didnt have a sturdy feeling against the rain), then since the rain was blowing toward my face I had the umbrella hangled forward to block it. Well a homeless guy (my office is near a shelter) bumps right into the umbrella and bent a bunch of the "spindles". It's ruined.

I'll be sure to stick to a $20 one next time. And watch where I'm going too.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, many mid-price umbrellas are poor value propositions. The quality improvements rarely match the increased price. I wouldn't pay more for an umbrella unless I could see specific differences in it and its cheaper kin.

One of my favorite umbrellas is a no-name vintage number I bought at an antiques store for $7. It's very nice -- sturdy ribs, metal mechanism, pretty wood handle. Can't imagine it was all that expensive when new, yet it's far nicer than ones you see these days. Were decent umbrellas more common back in the day? When? And when did the decline set in?

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

While I have a few English stick brollies (Brigg,Fox,Smith) from my time living in London, I usually end up using these mini auto open/close (invaluable feature) pocket jobs by Shedrain . They're so easy to stash in briefcases, glove compartments, backpacks, luggage and of course pockets.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Tomasso, how do they hold up under heavy rain and wind conditions?

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Tomasso, how do they hold up under heavy rain and wind conditions?

Their vented models, the Windjammers, hold up very well and come sized from mini to golf.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

This is Seattle, so I guess it's ironic that we locals don't use umbrellas much here. I have one that I keep in my car, one of those subcompact types. I've used it myself on occasion, but only when I was caught unprepared for a really serious downpour.

How do you protect yourself from the rain, hooded rainwear or hat? Or, are you always a few steps away from your car?

8. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Does anyone know of an online source for buying English stick brollies?

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Does anyone know if Maglia Francesco umbrellas are sold in Rome? Also, any estimate on cost? I love my brigg, but would like something less restrained.

11. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

As much as I love a Brigg they aren't hugely practical when wind is added to the equation. Even though I am not much of a Tumi fan, I do have two of these Tumi umbrellas and they are the best I have ever had.

http://www.tumi.com/na/p/large-auto-close-umbrella-014416D?subcat=true

They have a full canopy, collapse into a relatively compact size and they have a vent for when it's really windy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]