1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What kind of umbrella do you have?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Aug 27, 2006.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Distinguished Member

I'm looking for a nice umbrella. What do you have, do you like it, and where did you get it?

2. kronik

kronik Distinguished Member

None but I plan on getting a SAB..

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

Madeleine Gely makes beautiful umbrellas - http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...=1083747042389 In addition to a nice, rustic example in forest green with rust polka dots (great for fall), I carry a couple of much cheaper, more boring umbrellas. This London Fog piece is decent-looking for its price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UTF8&s=apparel I didn't buy on Amazon, but it looks like the one I have. Someone posted another umbrella with a neat 'wind release' technology to keep from turning inside out a while ago, another nice classic. I believe that RJ got a cut-price Brigg umbrella (metal shaft) from either LL Bean, Orvis or Land's End. Not where one would think to look for such a thing...

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I have a vintage '20s umbrella.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I believe that RJ got a cut-price Brigg umbrella (metal shaft) from either LL Bean, Orvis or Land's End. Not where one would think to look for such a thing...

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but you might be thinking of me. (RJman has better taste, I imagine.) I bought an Orvis umbrella made by Brigg, only to return it. Had a plastic mechanism, and didn't seem at all worth the $150 or so Orvis asked for it. They've since discontinued them, I believe.

I believe I still have some rather blurry pics saved on Photobucket, if anyone really wants to see them.

If RJman really did buy one, I hope he'll chime in too.

6. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

SAB PoW umbrella and a Fox tube umbrella. The former is more sturdy, the latter a bit more elegant due to the thinner tube frame.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

8. kronik

kronik Distinguished Member

I got mine here.

I never thought I'd be enamored by the picture of an umbrella shop on the internet.

My God, what's happening to me?

9. Nonk

Nonk Senior Member

I have a James Smith & Sons solid shaft umbrella with a whangee handle and sterling silver collar.

Basically the one on the right of the screen on their opening web page.

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

How does the James Smith compare to a Brigg?

I forgot to stop by that shop on my last trip to London and I am kicking myself. Walked by it every day on my way to school when I studied in London but didn't have the money then to make a purchase.

11. stach

stach Senior Member

Knirps are good.

12. lakewolf

lakewolf Distinguished Member

As I regularly lose my umbrellas I prefer to use a trench coat and a rain hat....

if I have to use un umbrella I use a disposable one...

I allways forget them in restaurants, cinemas etc...

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

A Totes I bought for $30 at Macy's. Decent, but I won't be crying for days when I lose it, as I inevitably will.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I need to finally figure out an umbrella, as this nasty rainy day reminds me. The S.A.B. are very nice, but I feel I would just lose it.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

SAB PoW umbrella and a Fox tube umbrella. The former is more sturdy, the latter a bit more elegant due to the thinner tube frame.

I had been interested in a stick-through Brigg, but the bulkiness finally put me off. (That and the fact that my desired Whangee handle and silk canopy combo would have run more than $700, even from classicluggage.com.) So I went with a vintage Fox tube and am very pleased. Took a lot of looking to find one with the canopy, handle, construction and condition I wanted, but it was certainly worthwhile.

I'll eventually pick up a Smith umbrella, but I want to do it in person, for the full Smith experience.