• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of shoes for the gym?

BigPoppa

Reaction score
So are the weightlifting shoes with the solid heels only for squats?
I was thinking of getting a pair, but not sure I'd bother if I want to take them off for deadlifts.

Also, is there anything terrible about propping my heels up on a weight when I squat to get the correct angle?
Flat footed, I feel like I'm going to topple over backward so end up leaning forward to compensate (and I know I don't want to do that).

To answer OP, I wear Chuck Taylor Allstars.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigPoppa
So are the weightlifting shoes with the solid heels only for squats? I was thinking of getting a pair, but not sure I'd bother if I want to take them off for deadlifts. Also, is there anything terrible about propping my heels up on a weight when I squat to get the correct angle? Flat footed, I feel like I'm going to topple over backward so end up leaning forward to compensate (and I know I don't want to do that). To answer OP, I wear Chuck Taylor Allstars.
some people deadlift in weightlifting shoes, not many though when you pull you wanna be as close to the ground as possible to get the best leverage out of your body's proportions i keep my lifting shoes in my bag, and only put them on to squat, and take them off afterwards and just wear my old beat up nike frees around the gym after i'm done with my squats weightlifting shoes will really change the way you squat, whether you squat low or high bar. due to the solid, raised heel, you can sit back further, which will help you hit depth easier and (hopefully) with more weight. the only problem i've found with this is that if i try to squat in regular shoes, i have to adjust my form, because if i try to sit back like i do in my lifting shoes, my toes are likely to come up off of the ground and i almost roll my heels backwards and fall back onto ******
smile.gif

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gym in vibram five fingers. Woe is me if someone drops something on my feet, but its never happened to me before and I'm not sure other gym shoes will do a better job of protection if someone drops something significant on my feet.

greasypeanut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
You don't have to have particularly high numbers for running shoes to be bad. Even around 315, you'll start noticeably compressing a running shoe.

to about 90% of people 315 lb is ALOT of weight i.e theyre never gonna lift that much.

and i noticed the heel on my nike sbs while i was warming up dls, compressing when i was at 185. went barefoot for the first time that day, and now i dl barefoot all the time. but usually i wear some really old and beat up vans half cabs. almost all if not all of the vans classic line have really thin to no cushioning.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greasypeanut
to about 90% of people 315 lb is ALOT of weight i.e theyre never gonna lift that much.

and i noticed the heel on my nike sbs while i was warming up dls, compressing when i was at 185. went barefoot for the first time that day, and now i dl barefoot all the time. but usually i wear some really old and beat up vans half cabs. almost all if not all of the vans classic line have really thin to no cushioning.

Same. I've worn the wrong shoe (too cushiony) a few times on some legs days and had some balance issues, even in the 185-225lb range on DL's. My go to lift is romanian DL so propensity to fall forward may be a bit more than with standard DL.

jillyronald

Reaction score
I have a cross trainers shop in centre of the city. Right now I have those Reebok Ziggs. I like to wear futuristic, it looks awesome and I am very much satisfy to wear, and it good to do exercise.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigPoppa
So are the weightlifting shoes with the solid heels only for squats?
I was thinking of getting a pair, but not sure I'd bother if I want to take them off for deadlifts.

Also, is there anything terrible about propping my heels up on a weight when I squat to get the correct angle?
Flat footed, I feel like I'm going to topple over backward so end up leaning forward to compensate (and I know I don't want to do that).

To answer OP, I wear Chuck Taylor Allstars.

i dont understand the reasoning for weightlifting shoes being no good for deadlifts. a dead lift is just a slow version of the pull which is the first pull of a clean.

clean pulls are a far superior excersize anyway.

i wear these
adidas-ironwork-weightlifting-shoe__80837_zoom.jpg
when lifting, a pair of indoor soccer shoes for general gym work and a pair of Asics Kayano for squash and tennis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads