• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What kind of shoes for the gym?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General training purposes... what do you guys like?

virus646

Reaction score
A pair of Jack Purcell converse. Works wonder for squats and others exercises where you need stability.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually buy cross trainers. Right now I have those Reebok Ziggs. I like futuristic looking shoes for some reason. going to get the Jordan Trunners.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
i wear these:
<do wins>

How high is the heel on those do wins?

Nobody carries lifting shoes over here. I currently use a pair of Umbro futsal (indoor soccer) shoes that have a rigid sole and heel.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Converse All-Stars ftw, mainly b/c I'm a cheap-ass when it comes to gym stuff.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 pairs should do the trick:

$40 Converse All-Stars
$80 Nike Free 3.0s

Converse for Squat/DL days (not as important for squat)
Nike for cardio days or lifting days without Squats/DLs

Alternative is to just use Nike Frees and take shoes off when doing squats or DLs, but kind of weird so you need to not be self-conscious.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chucks for lifting.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Adidas Stan Smith or Converse Chucks, depending on what is closer from where I am when I want to put on shoes to go to the gym.

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
How high is the heel on those do wins?

Nobody carries lifting shoes over here. I currently use a pair of Umbro futsal (indoor soccer) shoes that have a rigid sole and heel.

I'm not sure, offhand. The heel is higher than the Adistar lifting shoes, though. The Do-wins really work for a deep squat. They run large and are wide, though. Works for me because I have wide feet, but I ordered a size 8 whereas I normally wear 8.5 or 9, and the length is perfect.

In my opinion (and the opinion of many others), you can't really properly perform the Olympic lifts without Oly shoes.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
In my opinion (and the opinion of many others), you can't really properly perform the Olympic lifts without Oly shoes.

Tell that to the bros who were doing olympic lifts before lifting shoes were invented. Let's not get dogmatic here. There are a few features that should ideally be present while doing olympic lifts, but it isn't as if you are only getting 50% of the benefit if you don't use shoes specially designed for the activity.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Christ, I was thinking back to my pre-running days and...it's been a while. In college, I just used whatever cross-trainers I could afford. Although I never, ever pushed around major tonnage and wouldn't have known better.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
I wear New Balance while lifting, but I have wide feat, and NB has the best selection of EE shoes.

NoStyle14

Reaction score
Nike Free for the mother f'ing win.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.