• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your current "conditioning" level?

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Are people on SW&D secretly making like mid 6 figures a year or something? How do you guys pay for housing and food and all the other stuff?
See post from PiperInAlberta

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
I don't make much money, probably never will, and thus can't afford a lot of expensive clothing or anything else, and I don't have any insecurity or embarrassment about that. I have plenty of peers who make ****-tons of money in their 20s and 30s, but the types of jobs they work (i-banking, law firms) don't exactly afford them the time to post on clothing forums, or even to spend time shopping for clothes, for that matter. I'd be curious how some of the young ballers here do it (assuming they aren't incurring debt or spending all their discretionary income on clothes). Maybe I should look into whatever fields they're working in
laugh.gif

ill tickle your fancy.
i dont have a trust fund.
my parents dont pay for anything
i have 0 zero debt and pay off my credit cards in full each month.
i work 40 hours per week. actually, sometimes less.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this thread is just a chance for rich people to show off (sq4you, rfx, etc)

who the heck would post in this thread to say that they still buy 30-40 dollar jeans and 50 dollar jackets?

(except robbie, who is proud to be poor!)

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
this thread is just a chance for rich people to show off
not really. the point is to show that people's perception of what is acceptable to spend on clothing goes up as a function of being around it. as far as I know you are mister black/purple label and are constantly buying **** too so dont pretend you aren't a victim of it all

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
lol @ the imbeciles in this thread

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got my start on this forum reselling RL to people in MC... my RLPL stuff is like 98% off from retail..

i remember paying like $4 ($20, then 75% off, then an additional 20% off, retail was $325 i think) for RLPL sweatpants, ~$10 for RLPL pullovers (with RiRi zips), and tons of ridiculous unbelievable deals. as a result i have an intense devotion to RL since he helped me make a bunch of money on SF, and also because im still able to get his stuff at 75% off

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
not really. the point is to show that people's perception of what is acceptable to spend on clothing goes up as a function of being around it. as far as I know you are mister black/purple label and are constantly buying **** too so dont pretend you aren't a victim of it all
i met a guy who worked at an aston dealership (selling astons) on the bus, and he drove a honda, and never thought an aston was worth . obvi he was around astons all the time but still found it unacceptable to pay that much.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
i met a guy who worked at an aston dealership (selling astons) on the bus, and he drove a honda, and never thought an aston was worth . obvi he was around astons all the time but still found it unacceptable to pay that much.

yeah thats understandable. not everyone is susceptible to the effect.

off topic, a salesman that doesn't really believe in what he is selling will never be successful.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
not really. the point is to show that people's perception of what is acceptable to spend on clothing goes up as a function of being around it.

Yeah, but you should make the distinction between "price you consider normal/appropriate" and "instakop". Those are two different things IMO even if they're sometimes conflated (= baller). Being around SF has completely skewed my conditioning level but that doesn't mean I can afford half of the **** I consider "appropriately priced", it just means I don't scoff at a $300 shirt and I'd buy it if I had the $$$. In other words, this can only end in tears. Or maybe that's just me and I'm fucked up...

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PiperInAlberta
The GAP. And workwear.

I spend $200 on jeans occasionally and max $300 on shoes (and only once on some 1000 Mile boots).

**** your trust fund purchased designer ****. It looks idiotic.

You are the definition of the stereotypical Albertan. That is to say, you annoy the **** out of me.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^be gentle on the noob for he is well a noob

pistolero

Reaction score
I think it was fuuma who said earlier in this thread that a good wardrobe doesn't have to be a large wardrobe. Even with SF conditioning, I might spend ~ 10k on clothes in a year, max. That might be more than the average for someone with my income level, but probably not ridiculously more. I just have a lot fewer (but better) clothes, which is ok with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics