1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is your current "conditioning" level?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sq4you, Mar 29, 2010.

1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Anyone else work on counter conditioning?

Living in a conservative, albeit large, midwest city, trying to play high fashion would only ostracize myself to an untenable degree. Forcing myself to purchase most things with some sort of discount or sale involved helps a lot. Despite that, my accepted price for most items has gone up some multiple of 2-5 since joining SF/SuFu.

My first "raw" denim purchase was a pair of $275 Dry Bones, but I have found 3sixteen and N&F to provide way more bang for the buck. I'm struggling to resist buying a pair of CP's but I do so by buying a cheapo pair of sneakers every 10 weeks. Inefficient.

It definitely helps my budget that I am not required to wear or am interested in dress shoes or suits. If I choose to, I can reduce my clothing budget for work to near zero, although I try to keep myself entertained with durable nonblue denim and work / desert boots.

2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I'm struggling to resist buying a pair of CP's but I do so by buying a cheapo pair of sneakers every 10 weeks. Inefficient.

i've got the same problem. 2 pairs of DBs (beeswax and gray), 3 pairs of the leather chucks, and some adidas all in the space of the last 4 months, but i reckon for the same price (prolly off B&S) i could have 2 pairs of CPs which would cover everything and be so much cooler.

3. BB1

BB1 Senior member

i've got the same problem. 2 pairs of DBs (beeswax and gray), 3 pairs of the leather chucks, and some adidas all in the space of the last 4 months, but i reckon for the same price (prolly off B&S) i could have 2 pairs of CPs which would cover everything and be so much cooler.
    Depends on the look you want. Chucks are a lot more casual (or even juvenile) looking than CPs, but many of CP's models look surprisingly dressy for a sneaker! I own both and don't really think of them as interchangeable.

4. jet

jet Senior member

I'd rather have one pair of cp vs 6 pairs of chucks. I think I have like 5 pairs altogether.

I love going out and every guy is wearing chucks while I'm wearing those or my vandals.

5. Razele

Razele Senior member

Sold all my DB's and garbage sneaks or just threw them out

Bought Lanvin patent hightops

Will buy CP achilles highs and Raf mainline sneaks in future.

6. jet

jet Senior member

I remember fuuma a long time ago giving me props because I didn't have a lot of sneaks (this was 3 years ago) but have since procured a small collection.
    -two lanvin lows
    -two raf mainline highs
    -ton of cp's
    -couple pairs of margiela sneaks
    -balenciaga highs

I think I'm forgetting another, must step up lace-up game. Still special ordering some augustas and I'll be good on swd ish. Have a few margiela boots, carpes, pierre hardys two pairs.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

the best example of my conditioning is that i used to think Filson bags were ridiculously overpriced and were an example of "luxury goods".

Now i think that they're quite reasonably priced for well made bags.

8. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Variety is still important though, while a pair of kicks might go with a number of outfits, it's unlikely they will go with all of them. Furthermore, even if you do have a pair of sneakers that go with every outfit, they may not be the ideal choice and might only pass because say the colours 'kind of' work together or the style is 'kind of' similar. In this case you could probably do better to buy a couple of pairs of sneakers that are better coordinated with your outfits and match the colours and styles better, rather than just a few quality pairs. Case in point: sq4you's lanvin's and the way they go with all his outfits, true, they 'work' with most of his fits, but some of them are really pushing it to the point where the lanvin's are the falling point of the outfit. Especially that Thom Browne fit of his, in that case I thought to myself, if he had spent less on sneakers and invested in some nice black dress shoes instead, that fit would have worked a hundred times better.

9. Razele

Razele Senior member

Yeah true I kinda like shoes / boots more then sneaks but nice ones are really good, im pretty picky though.

Want to do two cordovan vass orders next year, a clean boot in black and then one in brown. Guidi backzips deffinitly this year though, and maybe some other stuff in the second half.

For lowtop sneaks I really like german armies and thats about it at this point.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I don't think sneakers have to "go perfectly" really. As long as they don't clash.

A white CP, or lanvin or whatever will go with every outfit. Sure, some peach chucks may "go perfect" in terms of colour coordination with some fit, but that's not really what i'm after.

In other words, colour coordination in my fits is more of a "don't fuck it up" than "if i go with opposing colours in the colour wheel then add 66.2 degrees with a slight drop of fuchsia..."

that's not to say that i don't appreciate and take inspiration from other people's colour combos.

11. Nil

Nil Senior member

Though this lesson took me awhile to figure out with clothing, as with all things, do it right the first time and you'll save time and money. One pair of high end shoes you really like is better than a handful of pairs you just get by with.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'd rather have one pair of cp vs 6 pairs of chucks. I think I have like 5 pairs altogether.

One cp vs six chucks isn't so much the issue. It's a tretorn, nike, adidas, pointer, clark, and chuck. More if you go canvas. Unfortunately, I now have a wall of sneakers I never wear. I still "like" most of them, but I never get to them. It's definitely time to donate.

There was another good comment on here about not liking to go out and see every jackass in a pair of chucks. I don't "go out" to clubs regularly, so I am always shocked when I blunder into one and see what the current flavor of the month is in that microcosm. It's always different here in the midwest than any of you coasts see in your clubs. Right now, EVERYONE is wearing Nike's here. White lows with a black swoosh. I was shocked.

I have never seen another person wearing a desert boot.

13. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Well, im only getting into high end fashion stuff, so there are certain things i will spend a lot of money on.

Shirts: Most i have ever spent was $30 no joke.
    Jeans/pants: $150 (usually buy on sale or used)
    Sweaters: $100
    Outerwear/jackets: $330
    Suits: too young to wear.
    Shoes/trainers: $250

14. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Jeans/pants: $200-$240, if I'm going over that I really have to consider.
    Shirts: $200, might stretch slightly further, to $240, but not much longer.
    Sweaters: $200-$250, depending on the fabric and item. Wouldn't pay $250 for a hoodie, but I'd pay $250 for a half-zip.
    Outerwear: Hard one. I'd say $300 on windbreakers etc, but if I need a new Musto for sailing $1000 is totally acceptable.
    Suits: Not buying suits without planning, but ~$1000 is my limit right now.
    Shoes: $200-250, might go higher.