1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Worst Town in California?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Jun 17, 2011.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'll +1 Manton's comment (mostly when it comes to Sacramento ... but also the part about San Jose). Sacramento isn't a town in which I would choose to live ... but it has some lovely 'older' areas and certainly doesn't qualify as one of California's worse towns/cities.

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

My dad's people are Okies. He grew up in Picher (zinc mining country) and they came west and settled in Redlands in the 40's. I still have a lot of family there, as well as Yucaipa, Calimesa, Mentone.

I had people who lived in Galena, KS (just across the line from Picher). Both Galena and Picher were company towns for the Eagle-Picher Mine Company. My people probably worked for the same mining company as yours did.

Instead of going to California, though, the ones that stayed in the mining business went up to the Black Hills in SD. The rest stayed behind in OK or whatever. Didn't have any Okies from my family that went CA.

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

absolutely, it's like you've never been there if you think that.
    I've just never really found the town appealing. True, there are spots around the capitol that are nice outside of it I just found the city generic if not unpleasant. And while as a tourist I've "enjoyed" Old Town, the city itself has always felt like a grown-up Stockton. And I don't even think Stockton is as bad as people have it out to be having stayed there with family friends throughout the years.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I like Redlands, but that's because my mom went to the University of Redlands, so all I've really ever visited is the campus and the nearby neighborhoods.

5. 1969

1969 Senior member

I'll go with Fresno. I was there on business last year; we walked around downtown on Friday night looking for a place to eat and it was a complete ghost town. I wasn't sure if I was more afraid of what looked like B-list gang members in tricked out Dodge Neon's or the presumably post-Iraqi PTSD patient/cops that kept cruising past us and glaring. I think it was the cops.

6. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

I was actually joking about this part. I recall seeing mountains off in the distance in B'fied. In Midland, the scenery is basically sagebrush, mesquite trees and pumpjacks. The two things you notice if you fly into Midland is (a) the landscape is dotted with oil well spacing units...it looks like a checkerboard where all the squares have been randomly shaken onto the floor, and (b) the only place that there are trees (other than mesquite bushes) are where they have been planted around houses, parks, golf courses, etc.

Yeah, in Bakersfield most of the big oil fields are either north of town or a ways out west on the opposite side of the valley.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

The other bad thing about the the area around Bakersfield, especially near the 5 around Buttonwillow, is the cow smell. It's there all the time.

--Andre

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

having lived in west texas, this is definitely true. in fact, i have a theory that what we're actually talking about is cotton culture. cotton is a destructive crop that really ruins the ground it is planted on fairly quickly. trace the family histories, food and musical styles and i think you'll find that the same folks who burned out land in the south, then traveled to east texas, then to west texas/oklahoma and then to the central valley. it's just one short generation from Bob Wills to Buck Owens.
    though i have to say that of all of the places we've mentioned so far, NONE come close to approaching the sheer soul-searing awfulness of Midland-Odessa.

Geeze guys. I was very unaware that I spent the majority of my life in the worst city in America. [​IMG]

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Geeze guys. I was very unaware that I spent the majority of my life in the worst city in America. [​IMG]
    You really should work in tourism.

10. willpower

willpower Senior member

Man california gets ripped on a lot... I'm moving part time to LA... now I'm scared.

I was once in Chatsworth... that was pretty bad.

To which area of LA are you moving? Huge differences in QOL.

11. Canvas08

Canvas08 Well-Known Member

I must be biased from living there the first 18 years of my life but I don't get the Sacramento hate.

12. jeffdeist

jeffdeist Well-Known Member

Surprised only a few mentions of Glockton so far...

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It was mentioned before, but needs to again: Turlock.

14. QBNCGAR

QBNCGAR Well-Known Member

This is a tough one. Redding, Red Bluff, Anderson, Chico, Igo / Ono, etc....all those shitholes in the valley north of SF between Sacto and Whiskeytown. Yikes.

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

Inspired by these poasts:

No poal because the options are too limitless.

I think the clear winner must be El Centro but let's see what people have to say.

I forgot about El Centro when I posted "Barstow" in the other thread. You may have a winner here. I've also passed through the Midland-Odessa, TX area and overnighted in Midland. It's pretty bleak, but doesn't compare with El Centro (or Barstow, for that matter).

My dad's people are Okies. He grew up in Picher (zinc mining country) and they came west and settled in Redlands in the 40's. I still have a lot of family there, as well as Yucaipa, Calimesa, Mentone.

I've been to Picher, OK. IIRC, it's a toxic waste dump these days.

This is a tough one. Redding, Red Bluff, Anderson, Chico, Igo / Ono, etc....all those shitholes in the valley north of SF between Sacto and Whiskeytown. Yikes.

What're you talking about? There's water skiing near Redding. How bad can it be?

16. RSS

RSS Senior member

Blackhawk, California.

Hi, can we supersize your McMansion?
    Would you like an extra 3-car garage with that?
    How about some genuine faux-wood trim?

[​IMG]

Why they didn't name it Fauxhawk I'll never know.

17. QBNCGAR

QBNCGAR Well-Known Member

What're you talking about? There's water skiing near Redding. How bad can it be?

Just about anyplace is OK to visit for a few hours...those who live there can tell you it's a poor, pot/meth addled, mountainy version of Naples FL (i.e. God's Waiting Room).

18. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably one of those dank, dreary towns north of Mendocino where the sun never shines and there's mold on everything. Something like Crescent City.

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

Just about anyplace is OK to visit for a few hours...those who live there can tell you it's a poor, pot/meth addled, mountainy version of Naples FL (i.e. God's Waiting Room).
    Never heard Naples described as that but it's very apropos. Palm Springs with a beach.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably one of those dank, dreary towns north of Mendocino where the sun never shines and there's mold on everything. Something like Crescent City.

No way, nothing on the coast can be considered the worst. Though Pacifica is really terrible.