1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Worst Town in California?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

What I do get a sense of, from this San Bernardino and others like it, is that moreso than other parts of the US, one can get a sense that you're almost in a different country, and not a nice one at that.

Do you miss California still? Do you regret moving?

I did not care at all about Calfornia for a long time. I developed a sort of historical/analytical interest in it in graduate school but still wasn't all that into it. About six years ago I became obsessed. I would go back if I could but I can't. I will some day, unfortunately that requires some deaths, which is not ideal.

SB, BTW, is totally American. There is nothing foreign about it. Well, there is now, but not foreign in the sense you mean. It's not that places like SB are foreign. It's that they are concentrated doses of the worst aspects of America.

2. Canvas08

Canvas08 Well-Known Member

I forgot to add, everything between Bakersfield and LA along the 5 is hell.

3. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

It's hard to answer this question because there's always some special California shithole that you've never had experience with, no matter how long you've lived there.

Yeah, haha, the state is so big it's just got too many pretty bad cities, it's hard to choose.

I've been meaning to go to a Basque restaurant in Bakersfield, seeing that list, I'll have to go this fall sometime.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I just spent two weeks in Bakersfield. It's not all that bad.

I'd say Richmond or Stockton.

Stockton is so bad that even people in Sacramento look down on it - and Sacramento doesn't have a lot going for it.

Then again eight California cities made the 2011 Forbes Magazine List of America's 20 Most Miserable Cities.

1. Stockton
    3. Merced
    4. Modesto
    5. Sacramento
    9. Vallejo
    17. Fresno
    18. Salinas
    20. Bakersfield

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/02/sto...le-cities.html

5. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

What I do get a sense of, from this San Bernardino and others like it, is that moreso than other parts of the US, one can get a sense that you're almost in a different country, and not a nice one at that.

Think white trash amongst poor Hispanic immigrants in a city with severe unemployment (something like 15%) and sweltering 100 degree weather.

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

SField, I recommend you consult the California appreciation thread.

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I love how the worst places we can come up with in California are the ones that are least like California (in the stereotypical sense), and most like the rest of the country.

8. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

Also, no one has mentioned East San Diego yet and Alpine deserves a mention.

Whaaaat? I'll give you the culture aspect (basically the same as IE and Bakersfield) but at least it's not a desert flat plain covered with smog that gets hemmed in by tall mountains that you can't even see even though they are 10 miles away (IE, Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.). Maybe it's just hometown pride/being used to it.... On the other hand, all these cities are pretty close to nice outdoor activities.

I'll wait for your moving party evite and look for your new Ridgecrest or Inyokem address.

Haha, it's InyokeRN (get it, on the border between Inyo and Kern counties).

Well, very different kinds of awful. There is nothing quite like Detroit in California that I know of. That combination of blight, depopulation, physical decay, and dense urbanity does not exist. You can find perhaps any two but not all four.
    I don't know, I'm thinking of one particular neighborhood in San Bernardino just south of Highland and Arden where the Foothill Fwy crosses, where I spent an inordinate amount of time about 10-12 yrs ago (just looked on google maps and the whole thing has been bulldozed but some of the buildings were still up when they did the street view [​IMG] )

I guess after seeing all the great choices in this thread, unless there is a size cutoff I'd go with Salton City. If there is a size cutoff, maybe Colton or Stockton?

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

I love how the worst places we can come up with in California are the ones that are least like California (in the stereotypical sense), and most like the rest of the country.
    There's some truth to that. What about Yreka or Weed? Why are we forgetting the northern part?

10. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Hollywood has done a good job of selling an image of the state - although that doesn't necessarily square with reality.

And the Okie / Grapes of Wrath influence is pretty prevalent in the Central Valley as I was explaining to a friend of mine in Georgia last week when I was in Bakersfield.

Then again, considering the Okie's came to California during the Great Depression, I'd say that culture is as much a part of California as the hippies who came during the 60's or the gays who flocked to SF in the 60's/70's.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

Whaaaat? I'll give you the culture aspect (basically the same as IE and Bakersfield) but at least it's not a desert flat plain covered with smog that gets hemmed in by tall mountains that you can't even see even though they are 10 miles away (IE, Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.). Maybe it's just hometown pride/being used to it.... On the other hand, all these cities are pretty close to nice outdoor activities.
    I can't go near that stretch of SD (aka, Klantee) without donning a white hood. It's not just my bias as a tourist, it's also from friends who've lived in SD all their lives as well as knowing people from that specific area.

Haha, it's InyokeRN (get it, on the border between Inyo and Kern counties).
    I actually like Kern Co./Sequoia. Spent a number of summers camping, rafting, etc. in the mountains.

12. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Because of travel for my previous job, I've been to just about every city in Southern California. I absolutely loathe most of the Inland Empire. But the biggest shit hole I ever had to go to has to be El Centro. Its in the desert near the Mexican border. Absolutely nothing to do and far enough from San Diego so that you can't just go there when you want to get away for a bit. Along their major roads, it seemed like every other retail building was vacant and boarded up. I couldn't wait to get out.

13. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

I can't go near that stretch of SD (aka, Klantee) without donning a white hood. It's not just my bias as a tourist, it's also from friends who've lived in SD all their lives as well as knowing people from that specific area.

Hah, yeah there is that. Lancaster was probably worse white-power-wise in the 90s, but now it's had such an influx of blacks and hispanics that it might not be bad at all.

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Hah, yeah there is that. Lancaster was probably worse white-power-wise in the 90s, but now it's had such an influx of blacks and hispanics that it might not be bad at all.
    Don't worry, it still is. Just like the mountains.

15. Manton

There is much about Bakersfield that is dismal. But there are glimmers of life.

Stockton has gotten a lot worse over the years but it still has some virtues. Those more northerly CV towns have lots of trees and are very green.

The idea that Sacramento is in any way terrible is a joke. OK, it's not that exciting but this is not about the most boring place in California (which in any case Sac would not even be that) but the worst.

El Centro, I maintain, is the correct answer.

Oh, and the grapevine from B'Field to LA is not hell or even close. The Tejon Ranch has some beautiful parts and pyramid lake is spectacular.

16. RSS

RSS Senior member

I submit Valencia, California.
    I once stopped for coffee in Valencia. I'm sure I stayed not more than a quarter hour, but that fifteen minutes felt like an eternity.

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

Manton, have you visited West Sac at all? I don't see how you could find it any different from parts of IE.

18. Manton

Manton, have you visited West Sac at all? I don't see how you could find it any different from parts of IE.

west sac sux but I dislike the IE a great deal more. The delta breezes, the river, and the deepwater channel make west sac more bearable.

To me, hell is 8 lane surface streets longer than the Great Wall of China and strip malls larger than LAX, as far as the eye can see, plus no trees, no shade, no green, and blasting 100 degree heat four months a year.

19. RSS

RSS Senior member

I liked Valencia. Hot milfs, pretty upscale and they had a Spectrum club gym. very cookie cutter but at least the people aren't too trashy like they are in the IE.
    Having spent a dreadful fifteen minutes in Valencia, I'm glad I've managed to avoid this IE place.

20. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member