• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is swagger? discuss

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I hate this thread and everyone in it. **** this ******* dumbass ****.
+1 and sigged

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by u007
That's why there are 100+ page threads for both on the front page right now?

Because it's easy to buy what people tell you to (instead of getting your own things).

Originally Posted by Fuuma
On SF swagger is characteristics we attach to a picture and by extension the poster through an aura effect where a WAYWT that gets our style approval means the person in question is "cool", "stylish", "authentic", "confident", "charming", "smooth" etc.

I think that's the problem: people obsess over certain posters here. It's hard to have your own confident look when you sit at your computer and think about Saucemaster's jean fit. Dude's never even met you.

Alternatively: fetishizing posters =! swagger. /thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Enough of this phucking phaggotry already.

Dude, sometimes it's interesting to explore some key concepts constitutive of the SF imagery, if you're not happy about it there's hundreds of threads about what to KOP and where or how Obama is Stalin redux with a tan. I'm very interested in the power the image and how it bleeds into domains where it is quite unrelated (why would you be confident because you look cool and have a nice jacket on some picture?), if you're not whatever, the rest of SF is your oyster.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Because it's easy to buy what people tell you to (instead of getting your own things).

I think that's the problem: people obsess over certain posters here. It's hard to have your own confident look when you sit at your computer and think about Saucemaster's jean fit. Dude's never even met you.

I've met some SFers...for example the boss of it all (J) is instantly recognizable as a Seattleite and that's interesting.

u007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz

Yes, but there are clothes which are generally good or generally look good. Most people like APC New Standards for instance, and desert boots are pretty versatile etc etc

The point is that people on this forum post pictures wearing these approved/accepted/decent clothes, or even worse they're wearing really expensive stuff, and they still look damn stupid.

My ability of "swagger" would be that you can pull the look off. Having a decent body and being reasonably good looking definitely helps, although isn't essential. Some skinny kid, looks young with glasses wearing a $1000 cashmere cardigan probably looks ******* dumb. I'm thinking of a picture I saw (don't know who it was) but it was some kid who looks like McLovin' wearing ultra skinny jeans, oversized cashmere cardigan and then a blazer. They were good quality, expensive clothes but it looks marsupialed because this guy just can't pull it off.

This I do agree with. You have to find something that works for YOU. Just copying someone doesn't always end well. (and btw it's !=, not =!)

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can know whether a stylish person has swagger until you see them in person or at least on video. I always thought Iggy Pop had swagger until I saw his interviews and his scene with Tom Waits in that one movie. I was so, sorely disappointed. I thought he'd be more young Lou Reed-ish. Tom Waits, though, he has crazy swagger.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
This isn't MC where there are step by step easy rules to follow and you'll isntantly be dapper and well dressed. I think that's hard for a lot of people who are used to mens fashion in terms of rules and guidelines passed on down the ages in terms of matching, fittings, colors, etc... I think some people struggle with the freedom.

Also, in waywt thread at least, photography and being in good shape (tall and slender, not this "normal build" secret code for slightly overweight). It's easy for braid, sauce, gravoche to look good in raw jeans and plain tee while most would look boring at best because they're in good shape and have good photography. Not to mention they look comfortable on camera while a lot of people who post look awkward and uncomfortable as hell taking pictures even with their face blurred. Part of it is probably because they know their outfit isn't that good and are curious to see the "feedback"

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That would relate to me in a way lol. I don't really care about internet criticism enough to blur my face though, I find its helping me much more with my image if I just put myself out there.

Currently doing a cut then doing bulking/cut cycles until I get to the level of fitness that I want. Rushing into this clothing thing early was a mistake, but without it I would not be doing what I am doing now.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've met some SFers...for example the boss of it all (J) is instantly recognizable as a Seattleite and that's interesting.

People like you, GoSurface, chrono, Berlin etc are exceptions b/c you (a) dress well, (b) spend time with other posters, and (c) probably brought that style with you before joining the board. So my comments can't apply to you.
smile.gif

@u007: so we agree then. I won't ever buy desert boots b/c they're "old man shoes" to me...and as a result I wouldn't feel comfortable in them. Same goes for flannels.

Anyway this "case of the missing swag" was solved a while ago. We've concluded before that the Internet is not a place to find your independent style. You'll find it in (gasp) the real world.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by u007
That's why there are 100+ page threads for both on the front page right now?

HAHAHAHAHAAA

silly noob

+1 to fuuma's comments as usual

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
It what allows one to wear pink sweaters; it also elicits hate from those sans-swag.
A perfect summary of it.
Originally Posted by asobu
tumblr_kvfrmyTnLt1qzooxpo1_500.jpg

Sigh. Charlotte has more swagger in mens' clothes than most men I know.
I really enjoy that regional subtlety. Spot the socal dude is easy, but spot the Vermonter vs Seattleite is a fun game...
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This isn't MC where there are step by step easy rules to follow and you'll instantly be dapper and well dressed.
Well put and very true - there are tried-and true rules to dressing 'well', and even 'dapper', but the swagger principle definitely applies over there too. I think swagger can be harder with streetwear, because there are fewer classic standards and rules to bend or play with... Some more perfect (and regional) swagger. Anyone who's spent any time in New England knows Shaw nailed this (and also a perfect example of natural swagger vs. the other characters' lack of it...):
jawshiresphotos001.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member